Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 16-03-17, 02:49 PM
BigDaddyKong's Avatar
BigDaddyKong BigDaddyKong is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 865
How many Steam games are on Linux again

__________________
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16-03-17, 02:58 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 12,588
They would rather waste resources on trying to block people rather than help optimize 10 for Zen
__________________
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
-Gandalf
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16-03-17, 03:32 PM
Kourgath223's Avatar
Kourgath223 Kourgath223 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
Makes sense to me. The hardware wasn't even out when they stopped shipping 7 and 8.1 so why would they be obligated to support it? It's a waste of resources (for MS) and no doubt some bright spark would try to sue them if they found a security flaw despite not updating to the current OS. I thought 7 was EOL anyway?
7 hit end of mainstream support in January 2015 but will still get "extended support" until January 2020.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16-03-17, 06:01 PM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 656
MS bully tactics trying to force everyone to use Windows 10. Peeps will do utmost to avoid Win 10 whilst they are unable to play their older games amongst other stuff.
__________________
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H | A10-6800k mild oc | Antec H1200 | Hyperx 1866 2 x 8gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 140gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16-03-17, 06:08 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 12,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
MS bully tactics trying to force everyone to use Windows 10. Peeps will do utmost to avoid Win 10 whilst they are unable to play their older games amongst other stuff.
This isn't a bully tactic. Support for the OS ended over 2 years ago. Why would they all of a sudden go back to supporting it?
__________________
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
-Gandalf
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16-03-17, 06:18 PM
Greenback's Avatar
Greenback Greenback is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,904
Can't say I have found any games that I can't play on win 10, so far
__________________
CASE: Define R5
CPU: RYZEN 1500x, H100i GTX
MB: MSI TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
OS: CRUCIAL MX100 250GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16-03-17, 06:20 PM
Medallish Medallish is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
This isn't a bully tactic. Support for the OS ended over 2 years ago. Why would they all of a sudden go back to supporting it?
Am I misunderstanding something? Nowhere is it saying that MS should support these CPU's, that's always been clear that they don't, but actively blocking updates, that's something else entirely, and is very much a bully tactic.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16-03-17, 06:29 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 12,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
Am I misunderstanding something? Nowhere is it saying that MS should support these CPU's, that's always been clear that they don't, but actively blocking updates, that's something else entirely, and is very much a bully tactic.
You are misreading what I said out of context to another person.


But anyway.
No this isn't a Bully tactic. Blocking updates on unsupported hardware should be expected. It's not supported. You should understand that people are still getting updates. Not people with UNsupported hardware.
__________________
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
-Gandalf
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16-03-17, 06:58 PM
Medallish Medallish is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You are misreading what I said out of context to another person.

But anyway.
No this isn't a Bully tactic. Blocking updates on unsupported hardware should be expected. It's not supported. You should understand that people are still getting updates. Not people with UNsupported hardware.
How isn't it a bully tactic? It has nothing to do with HW support, no one has ever asked them to support Ryzen or Kaby Lake, putting this restriction in only has one use, and that's to bully people to use their latest, data-collecting OS.

I'm saying MS shouldn't be making these decisions, MS says, they're not supporting the latest HW officically, great, that's entirely understandable because they don't want to tweak their outdated software. But then some people decide they want to still use Windows 7, it's their choice, and furthermore, it's possible for them, no one has asked MS to provide them with bug fixes they might experience, but MS instead of ignoring it, and focusing on making Windows 10 better instead, decide to actively mess with the users by blocking the update, it's wrong, and if they're allowed to do this they'll just get even more brazen, next they'll probably force you to sign up for their crappy App store if you want to access the internet.

I'm saying MS should quite simply do nothing, them doing this, obviously it's bullying, it's not a non-aggressive action to take.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16-03-17, 07:04 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 12,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
How isn't it a bully tactic? It has nothing to do with HW support, no one has ever asked them to support Ryzen or Kaby Lake, putting this restriction in only has one use, and that's to bully people to use their latest, data-collecting OS.

I'm saying MS shouldn't be making these decisions, MS says, they're not supporting the latest HW officically, great, that's entirely understandable because they don't want to tweak their outdated software. But then some people decide they want to still use Windows 7, it's their choice, and furthermore, it's possible for them, no one has asked MS to provide them with bug fixes they might experience, but MS instead of ignoring it, and focusing on making Windows 10 better instead, decide to actively mess with the users by blocking the update, it's wrong, and if they're allowed to do this they'll just get even more brazen, next they'll probably force you to sign up for their crappy App store if you want to access the internet.

I'm saying MS should quite simply do nothing, them doing this, obviously it's bullying, it's not a non-aggressive action to take.

If your feelings get hurt easily I guess it is bullying.
BTW Windows 7 and 8 collect just as much as 10. And all 3 collect,combined, less than Google or FB does. So that argument is just flawed and just means you are reaching deep down to find an actual problem when there isn't one.

And no. It is not the user's choice. If it was always the User's choice, Windows Source code would be leaked. Windows update could get hacked, etc. It's like saying the Customer is always right when in fact that is BS and that notion of thought needs to go out the window. Back on track... so MS do have to do something with this and this is a good move for them. If you want the latest hardware, get the latest OS. If you want the latest hardware but not the latest OS. Be prepared to face the downsides. No updates is the downside. Beisdes. If you they don't support the hardware how they could possibly update the security for the OS? For all they know the OS is compromised. They should not have access to the updates to prevent something wrong from happening.
__________________
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
-Gandalf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump








All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.