Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 13-03-17, 01:47 PM

I thought the hero had 2 sets of phases, 8+4, 8 for cpu, 4 for ram.

or am i misunderstanding what you mean ?

Old 13-03-17, 01:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
I thought the hero had 2 sets of phases, 8+4, 8 for cpu, 4 for ram.

or am i misunderstanding what you mean ?
Which hero?

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 13-03-17, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Which hero?
yes, crosshair hero
Old 13-03-17, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX
Looking at the ROG hero it seems there is only one set of phases. If you look at the power connector at the top of the board you will see it only has one 8 pin.

If you then look at the audio circuitry on the Z270 you will see six small Nichicon gold capacitors. There are far more on the Crosshair.

The power phases on the Z270 will need to be tiny compared to the Crosshair. The Z270 is a board made to run at the very most four cores and four HT threads. That's it. The Crosshair needs a metric ton of phases to handle CPUs double that (so 8 cores 16 threads) this means you need bigger phases and more of them.

The only similarities between the boards is the "hero" name. I don't know why Asus did that. You should be comparing the CHVI to the Rampage or something as high end as that.

I guarantee if this was an Intel board it would cost far more. Intel charge quite a large socket tax, chipset price etc.
Thanks! Those seem like reasonable explanations that I failed to notice on my own - I just assumed it's the same level of componentry, given the same name/tier.

One question though: doesn't phase design requirement depend on the CPU power draw, not the core/threads?
Old 13-03-17, 02:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
yes, crosshair hero
Ah OK (darn you Asus !!). Yeah, it has extra phases which means extra cash.

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 13-03-17, 07:00 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the Review Tinytomlogan,
I would like to ask if you tried to fit the Noctua DH 15 with the AM3 mounting on it?
Or is it neccesary to use the am4 mounting?
Greetings
Old 13-03-17, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Crosshair VI Hero has 8 phases for CPU, 4 for SOC, and 2 for RAM.
Detailed review of VRM is in this video:

Old 16-03-17, 06:55 AM

Smile Exact RAM used for your 3333mhz OC?

Hey Tom,

Great video mate. I always enjoy em! I just got the Crosshair VI and a Ryzen 1700 CPU. I put a 16Gb kit of G.Skill 3400mhz in it from my previous z170 skylake system. I tried to post and it gives me error code #8. Is this ram just not compatible Yet? I see the 3200mhz variant listed...but not the 3400mhz kit...of course

In any case, what was the exact ram that you used to get your system to 3333Mhz? Was it the Corsair LPX 3200Mhz 16Gb kit?

Also, would you mind listing your exact ram voltage and other bios settings as well, just for a point of reference?

Thank You a Ton!!!

XBnPC
Old 18-03-17, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofevil22 View Post
Hey Tom,

Great video mate. I always enjoy em! I just got the Crosshair VI and a Ryzen 1700 CPU. I put a 16Gb kit of G.Skill 3400mhz in it from my previous z170 skylake system. I tried to post and it gives me error code #8. Is this ram just not compatible Yet? I see the 3200mhz variant listed...but not the 3400mhz kit...of course

In any case, what was the exact ram that you used to get your system to 3333Mhz? Was it the Corsair LPX 3200Mhz 16Gb kit?

Also, would you mind listing your exact ram voltage and other bios settings as well, just for a point of reference?

Thank You a Ton!!!

XBnPC
We'll, I went ahead and bought that ram, so I hope it works as it did in your review. Thanks to everyone who responded for all your help.. such a thriving community helpful techies on here
Old 18-03-17, 01:36 AM
OC3D Crew

Has anyone else had problems with board just chucking a fit when using a DOC profile 1. I can set 3200 manually, and it runs fine. I use DOC and it throws out all stability.

Also, what is everyone seeing for vdroop on this board. Mine is pretty bad. I set vcore at 1.4, with LLC on level 4 and I am still at 1.35 under load. That with max current turned up to 120%.
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP