Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 02-03-17, 03:33 PM
OC3D Elite

It's funny, because the 6950x, 5960x and so on did not get this response.

It's very very easy to make a highly cored CPU look bad. I could write a review where an I3 outperforms it in ever test. But that's not the point. It's like buying a fine sports car and then taking two wheels off and saying "This thing won't even move !".

And on the other hand? I could write a review that is skewed the other way, *only* using highly threaded apps where the high cored CPU walks past any other.

And that is usually what the focus is when people have reviewed big CPUs like the 6950x.

Thankfully the enthusiasts all know. For example when you are benching and taking it even remotely seriously you will know about FS Physics scores for example, and how they are affected by adding cores. It drives up your entire score !

It's quite clear to see today who don't dare upset the master, and who doesn't care.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 02-03-17, 03:34 PM
Bettyswollocks

The worrying part is heat or as it seems magical lack of, software says 79c but Tom reports no noticable plume of heat from the top of the case, I notice heat from the roof of my system at only 35c... mmm have they screwed up the thermal readings again? Have they mixed up Fahrenheit and Celsius? Either way there is no denying that AMD are back and bringing cannons to this duel.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 02-03-17, 03:35 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks for a great Review ! My only concern is the gaming performance, could you do a follow up with some real gaming oriented numbers??
Old 02-03-17, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Governour View Post
Thanks for a great Review ! My only concern is the gaming performance, could you do a follow up with some real gaming oriented numbers??
With the latest games a FX 6350 is enough. It really is. I guess it depends on what you perceive as "enough" but yes, you can game on a potato these days. For example I use an 8c 16t Ivy at 3.3ghz or so. It's more than enough to meet my target FPS of 60.

And of course the higher you drive up the res the less the CPU matters any way.

This CPU is not for gamers. It never was. It is for people who can use it, and don't want to get reamed out buying a 2ghz 12 core Xeon for example that would set you back a couple of grand.

That's what X99 is.

Old 02-03-17, 03:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

It's very very easy to make a highly cored CPU look bad. I could write a review where an I3 outperforms it in ever test. But that's not the point. It's like buying a fine sports car and then taking two wheels off and saying "This thing won't even move !".

And on the other hand? I could write a review that is skewed the other way, *only* using highly threaded apps where the high cored CPU walks past any other.

And that is usually what the focus is when people have reviewed big CPUs like the 6950x.

Thankfully the enthusiasts all know. For example when you are benching and taking it even remotely seriously you will know about FS Physics scores for example, and how they are affected by adding cores. It drives up your entire score !

It's quite clear to see today who don't dare upset the master, and who doesn't care.
I read on Toms Hardware, I think, that disabling SMT actually boosted gaming performance.

AMD have marketed the 1800X as a gaming CPU. Obviously that hasn't been its main focus, but they have claimed that part of its purpose was gaming. You can't really say the 1800X isn't for gaming just like you can't say the Titan XP isn't for gaming. It's clear that a part of its purpose was to render frames in gaming workloads. Maybe that wasn't its core purpose or was its best at, but it was heavily taken into account.
Old 02-03-17, 03:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

I don't think i've ever seen anyone claim that the 6950x is a particularly great choice for games. Why do you always have such an exaggerated response to praise and criticism? It's just hardware, not a revolution against a dictatorship.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Zowie FK1 // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 02-03-17, 04:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
I don't think i've ever seen anyone claim that the 6950x is a particularly great choice for games. Why do you always have such an exaggerated response to praise and criticism? It's just hardware, not a revolution against a dictatorship.
Because I have pretty extreme thoughts and opinions. I have a very sensitive mind, and a massive belief in fairness etc.

But your last line? that is exactly what it is.

BTW I'm pretty sure you knew but if you didn't I will tell you any way. You know I am on the spectrum, right? as in the autistic spectrum?

That means everything to me is -

Louder.
Brighter.
Smellier.
More annoying.
Massive hate of imbalance, unfairness and bullies.
Massively exaggerated.

And so on. I am who I am. Oh and I can be a really unempathic SOB too. But that is just me.

Old 02-03-17, 04:34 PM

Great review, thanks Tom.

Looking forward to the 6 core and 4 core variants.
I5 3570k, 8gb Corsair 2133mhz DDR3, Arctic I30, Crucial M4 64gb (os) 250gb Crucial (games), 1TB WD Green, GTX970, IIyama E2409HDS, Black Fractal R3, Yamaha A-S501, Polk tx220 (pair) SW150, Roccat Isku, Corsair M65 rgb.
Old 02-03-17, 04:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Because I have pretty extreme thoughts and opinions. I have a very sensitive mind, and a massive belief in fairness etc.

But your last line? that is exactly what it is.

BTW I'm pretty sure you knew but if you didn't I will tell you any way. You know I am on the spectrum, right? as in the autistic spectrum?

That means everything to me is -

Louder.
Brighter.
Smellier.
More annoying.
Massive hate of imbalance, unfairness and bullies.
Massively exaggerated.

And so on. I am who I am. Oh and I can be a really unempathic SOB too. But that is just me.
Yea i knew that, but since you are aware that you are prone to overreacting, why don't you reconsider whether your statements are a bit over the top? Whenever i post anything i read through it a couple of times, making sure that what i'm posting is reasonable, trying to look at the topic from a point of view which isn't mine, considering whether my tone is appropriate or not. That's the beauty of forums as a communication medium, there don't have to be any impulsive responses.
I'm not autistic, so i can't really judge what's going on in your head, but i think regardless of what your condition may be it's not wise to say that you can't be any other way, that attitude is holding you back more than the condition itself. Living in a world where everything is either good or evil can't be nice.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Zowie FK1 // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 02-03-17, 05:04 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Only watched 15mins if the video. Busy atm, but did read the whole review.

I'm so pumped to watch the video now.. the wait is killing me