Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 02-03-17, 02:10 PM

I was surprised just how much more power was drawn by an OC'ed 1800X over one at stock - it's going to take a decent amount of cooling. The gaming performance was too far behind the 7700k and I believe there'll be a good price gap between the two chips.

So yeah, encouraging to have competition in that market again and anything that pushes Intel to do some actual work rather than the 5-10% year on year benefit crumbs they've been throwing us will be great but at the same time I don't think that Ryzen is quite what a number of people were hoping for - a giant leap over Intel, just a small skip perhaps.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K, Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Gene, Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1866Mhz, Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 ti SC+, Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 500GB + Intel 750 NVMe 800GB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H100i, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: AOC AG241QG 24" 165hz, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Old 02-03-17, 02:12 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
I was surprised just how much more power was drawn by an OC'ed 1800X over one at stock - it's going to take a decent amount of cooling. The gaming performance was too far behind the 7700k and I believe there'll be a good price gap between the two chips.

So yeah, encouraging to have competition in that market again and anything that pushes Intel to do some actual work rather than the 5-10% year on year benefit crumbs they've been throwing us will be great but at the same time I don't think that Ryzen is quite what a number of people were hoping for - a giant leap over Intel, just a small skip perhaps.
Games is based on clockspeed so the 4 and 6 cores should perform the same if clocks are similar....

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 02-03-17, 02:15 PM
OC3D Crew

great review and AMD are back in the game
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H | A10-6800k mild oc | Antec H1200 | Hyperx 1866 2 x 8gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 140gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 02-03-17, 02:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Games is based on clockspeed so the 4 and 6 cores should perform the same if clocks are similar....
Yupper, or slightly less if they have a smaller pool of cache for example.

Quote:
I was surprised just how much more power was drawn by an OC'ed 1800X over one at stock - it's going to take a decent amount of cooling.
I wasn't TBH. Not after my experiences with all the 8 core CPUs I had used previously. Leave them alone? they can be quite well behaved. Start shoving the MHZ up and the volts? yeah, convection oven on your desk.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 02-03-17, 02:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Yea some people got a bit caught up in the hype. In terms of performance Ryzen was never going to beat the high end Intel line up, personally i don't even think that the 1800x matters all that much. The 1700 is the interesting one. The singlethreading performance is a bit worrying.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Zowie FK1 // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 02-03-17, 02:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Yea some people got a bit caught up in the hype. In terms of performance Ryzen was never going to beat the high end Intel line up, personally i don't even think that the 1800x matters all that much. The 1700 is the interesting one. The singlethreading performance is a bit worrying.
For gaming I'm not impressed by the 1800X. Guru3D showed comparable gaming performance, but GamersNexus gave it a pretty scathing review. The 1700 seems like a far more sensible option, but we'll have to wait and see what the difference is.

I'm wondering whether the 1600X and below are the same exact chip as the 1800X but with cores and threads disabled. If not, maybe the 6c CPU's will have higher instructions per clock and come with higher overclocking headroom. A boost on four cores out of six to 4.2Ghz could close the gap in gaming benchmarks.
Old 02-03-17, 02:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks to you Tom and WYP for all the hard work you have done to bring us this great review as always and i'm looking forward to the 4 and six core reviews when they come out. This makes me excited to see what VEGA will bring

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

STEAM ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tolemac/

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 02-03-17, 02:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
For gaming I'm not impressed by the 1800X. Guru3D showed comparable gaming performance, but GamersNexus gave it a pretty scathing review. The 1700 seems like a far more sensible option, but we'll have to wait and see what the difference is.
Remember the other day I said feckless moron? add neanderthal to that.

Why that guy even gets air time is beyond me. Watching him work on hardware for example is painful, and makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I'm wondering whether the 1600X and below are the same exact chip as the 1800X but with cores and threads disabled. If not, maybe the 6c CPU's will have higher instructions per clock and come with higher overclocking headroom. A boost on four cores out of six to 4.2Ghz could close the gap in gaming benchmarks.
Possibly. I think they will be so much cheaper than the Intel parts though and that is what will get AMD sales.

Well, that and the sheer contempt Intel have treated their loyal followers with over the past couple of years. I think that seems to be the consensus around the internet right now. Chuff Intel, up AMD.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 02-03-17, 03:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Remember the other day I said feckless moron? add neanderthal to that.

Why that guy even gets air time is beyond me. Watching him work on hardware for example is painful, and makes me want to cry.

Possibly. I think they will be so much cheaper than the Intel parts though and that is what will get AMD sales.

Well, that and the sheer contempt Intel have treated their loyal followers with over the past couple of years. I think that seems to be the consensus around the internet right now. Chuff Intel, up AMD.
I would like to hear more about this but maybe this isn't the place. I'll PM you.

You're right, it's the price that is AMD's biggest draw right now. There are words going around of game developers getting more and on board with higher core and thread amounts, but right now Intel remains dominate. Maybe that's why the 7700K price drop was so meager. I can still see a lot of people buying Kaby Lake over Ryzen.
Old 02-03-17, 03:29 PM

Looking at various other reviews I would say the R7 line is doing what I thought it would, provide acceptable gaming performance for an 8c/16t chip + be good in content creation workload (video rendering, streaming, 3D modeling) + be cheaper then Intel's similar core count CPUs.

Even though the R7's don't appear to unanimously own the mainstream Intel lineup I just have to use this.