Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 18-08-14, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice Wraithguard! I just had alot of questions answered without having to ask them. Awesome that you included the size of the sleeve and heatshrink.

Easy to do since you don't have to remove the connectors. Though is it possible to remove and re-attach the connectors if you want for eg. to shorten the cable?

And what about lacing or having several cables run parallel?

Cheers.

Old 18-08-14, 10:35 AM
The Webmaster

One small thing Wraith, if you have Sata ports that stack, this might (probably will) not allow them to be installed next to each other, it's already pretty tight without sleeving me thinks.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 18-08-14, 11:41 AM
Bettyswollocks

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
One small thing Wraith, if you have Sata ports that stack, this might (probably will) not allow them to be installed next to each other, it's already pretty tight without sleeving me thinks.
Stacking them isn't really a problem they sit side by side or on top of each other pretty well, I was kind of in a rush when I did the guide. But if you spend a little bit more time on the shrink it gets smaller, I think it something like 3/1. But everyone must pay attention to the shrink, if it starts to go a cloudy milky grey STOP! otherwise it bursts and you have to start again.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 18-08-14, 12:48 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Stacking them isn't really a problem they sit side by side or on top of each other pretty well, I was kind of in a rush when I did the guide. But if you spend a little bit more time on the shrink it gets smaller, I think it something like 3/1. But everyone must pay attention to the shrink, if it starts to go a cloudy milky grey STOP! otherwise it bursts and you have to start again.
I mean more like these ones

My cable connectors are *already* touching when I plug them into these type (although mine don't seem to have the extra gap this example shot does) just wanted to point that out is all.

I suppose you could double sleeve two together perhaps?

Edit: lol i googled bloody sata ports... and that image is from this site, fancy that.. wonder why it has a different watermark on it..
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 18-08-14, 01:01 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
My cable connectors are *already* touching when I plug them into these type (although mine don't seem to have the extra gap this example shot does) just wanted to point that out is all.

I suppose you could double sleeve two together perhaps?
Double sleeve is a good Idea

Or you could use a narrower shrink, stretch it to fit over the socket and simply shrink the sleeve to the cable instead of the socket.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
Old 18-08-14, 01:06 PM
OC3D Elite

very nice dude!
Old 18-08-14, 02:38 PM

Great guide!

Thanks for sharing.

Blue and White Stryker

CM Storm Stryker | Zotac GTX780 AMP! | 4x4GB Vengeance RAM | Core [email protected] | H80i | Corsair K60 & M65

Old 18-08-14, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Great Job. One point that I find helpful is a tip I got from another person. I use a bit of brush on superglue right at the end of the plug to hold the sleeve in place while fiddling with the heat shrink. It makes it worry free as you don't have to hold the cable / sleeve in place while stretching the shrink over the connector.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

--Rick--
Old 18-08-14, 03:28 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
Great Job. One point that I find helpful is a tip I got from another person. I use a bit of brush on superglue right at the end of the plug to hold the sleeve in place while fiddling with the heat shrink. It makes it worry free as you don't have to hold the cable / sleeve in place while stretching the shrink over the connector.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

--Rick--
Thanks dude, I left the super glue bit out, as

a: it can get messy.
b: if your cable goes borky you can just slice the shrink and remove the sleeve to put on a replacement

But that said if you slide the slack out of the sleeve it won't move about too much when shrinking.

Old 03-01-15, 11:31 AM

I spoke too soon! Thank you!! Except I don't have all the necessary tools haha... How much did all the tools run you?