Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-03-17, 02:51 PM
News Guru

AMD are rumoured to be creating a consumer-oriented 16-core Ryzen CPU

AMD are rumoured to be creating a consumer-oriented 16-core Ryzen CPU, coming on a larger LGA socket and support for quad-channel memory.

Read more on AMD's potential X99 competitor.
Old 17-03-17, 06:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Doubt this will happen. Especially a "revised" Zen core? Yeah BS on that
Old 17-03-17, 07:15 PM
OC3D Elite

NBD: agreed! Also, didn't AMD already confirm that the AM4 platform would last for a few years, with no new sockets? I know I read that somewhere, but not sure it was the "official" word.

Old 17-03-17, 10:54 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
NBD: agreed! Also, didn't AMD already confirm that the AM4 platform would last for a few years, with no new sockets? I know I read that somewhere, but not sure it was the "official" word.
You are right yes. No new sockets. They could update the chipset and keep same socket but Ryzen is at minimum a 4year commitment they said. Or 5 years? Can't remember which it was
Old 06-04-17, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Sure AM4 is going to last awhile. But it's the target for the R3, R5, and R7 (consumer desktops). That doesn't mean there isn't going to be a new socket for higher end desktops (HEDT).

Increased performance (with more cores or faster cores) hits the memory bus harder. Makes sense for AMD to ship a socket with more than 2 memory channels. Just like Intel does, their higher end desktop (HEDT) chips are in their "server" socket (LGA2011) to get 4 memory channels instead of 2.

The good news is the upcoming AMD Naples is a package with 4 ryzen chips it in. So you get 4 times the cores, 4 times the threads, and 4 times the memory channels (total 8).

Even with the identical die, or maybe a newer stepping AMD could also bring out a new HEDT targeted chip that is the middle ground between the ryzen and Naples. Presumably with 2 ryzen die, so 24-32 cores, 48-64 threads, and 4 memory channels.

If you google around you can see that 24 core/48 thread ryzen numbers are starting to show up on benchmark sites from AMD engineering samples. They even mention a new socket.

Given that AMD is at a substantial disadvantage with much lower volumes (thus less units to amortize R&D over) it makes sense for AMD to hit 3 different points in the market with a single piece of silicon (ryzen), 2 piece of silicon (HEDT) and 4 piece of silicon (server/naples) products.

That way they can amortize their R&D across a much larger number of chips.
Old 17-03-17, 07:28 PM
OC3D Elite

The 10 core 6950X is a better overclocker than any of the Ryzen CPUs, AMD need to address this first before even thinking about a 16 core consumer CPU.

What would a 16 core Ryzen CPU run at, 2.5ghz?

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 19-03-17, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
The 10 core 6950X is a better overclocker than any of the Ryzen CPUs, AMD need to address this first before even thinking about a 16 core consumer CPU.

I don't think that Ryzen cpus will ever be great overclockers. L3 cache doesn't have its own multiplier and I'm not sure that fabric thing between CCXs can handle overclock any better.
Old 19-03-17, 01:25 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:

^^All of this, they have a good line up so far and should concentrate on that not throw more cores at the problem. #moarcoresfixesnothing

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 19-03-17, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
^^All of this, they have a good line up so far and should concentrate on that not throw more cores at the problem. #moarcoresfixesnothing
If this is true and I highly doubt it for reasons given (AMD changing sockets etc) then they would be forward thinking again. And they've gotten themselves into trouble every time they have done that.

However, that said we do need to move forward. If they can get 8 cores supported properly (and they're working at it) then the next progression will be more cores of course. Because IPC becomes tight, and at the end of the day the only way to move on from Moore's law is to add more cores.

People only think the idea of 16 cores is stupid because they have been on 2/4 for a decade. Why do servers have 64 cores (as an example)? because it makes them more productive. There is no reason other than Intel that desktop PCs could do the same.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 24-03-17, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Here is the following written:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...re_ryzen_cpu/1

================================================== ======

Now Canard PC Hardware has released some additional information on this platform, stating that it is planned for a release in 4/6 months and that AMD's current samples have TDPs of 150W. Canard also lists AMD's 16-core 32-thread flagship as having base/boost clock speeds of 2.4 and 2.8GHz, which is very high for a CPU with such large high core count.

This new platform is said to be coming with an X399 socket and an LGA CPU, bridging the gap between traditional desktop CPUs and server platforms. These new CPUs will also come as dual-chip multi-chip modules (MCM), which means that this chip is made using two CPU dies rather than a single, larger die.

================================================== ======