Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Nice to hear that you find it good, a shame about the microphone quality though. Personally I could never use that headset, as it has that "dual headband" design. Which is where the main one is just one, unjustadable, headband and the inner one is the adjustable one. My head is too big for those kind of headsets.
Too big? lol do you have a head the size of a Football? Should I call you stewie from Family guy from now on?

Jokes aside. I actually placed it on my football which is full size and it stretches over fine. With the main one you dont adjust it. You simply clip the cans into a lower slot which effectively increases the length for you.

If however you are thinking of something like the Rig 500e then that one is less flexible.

On a side note. Been playing and testing the Samsung Galaxy S10... what have you done Samsung its bad buggy and poorer performing in benchmarks.

looks like 2019 is the year of the Mate 30 pro or the Oneplus 7.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

I've had the Sennheiser PC360s for about 9 years now and they are still the best headset I've come across. Open back is a must in my opinion.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
I've had the Sennheiser PC360s for about 9 years now and they are still the best headset I've come across. Open back is a must in my opinion.
I prefer open back. However, the T5P is the only closed back set of headphones I have ever had where I can honestly say you don't need it. Usually the sound stage sounds very close and short, and until I got the T5Ps my Grado walked everything else for that sense of theatre. But the T5P are every bit as good and are closed.

That said? they cost three times more than the Grado at RRP, so they damn well should do.

I do still love listening to my Grados though. Even if they have a very weak dance music bass they still sound quite amazing. Have them here at my mother's house now.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Too big? lol do you have a head the size of a Football? Should I call you stewie from Family guy from now on?
Umm, maybe... I have a bigger head than most, I guess. Since most headsets aren’t big enough to fit my head.

The reason behind my previous post is cause the headset mentioned has the same design as the Steelseries Siberia V2 had, which the earcups couldn’t even get fully over my ears due to it being too small. And it has the same design:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I prefer open back.
For someone who has basically always used closed ones, what is it with open ones that makes you all prefer open headsets over closed ones?...

I mean, I know that you don’t get as sweaty with open ones as you do with closed ones (most of the time anyway).
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
For someone who has basically always used closed ones, what is it with open ones that makes you all prefer open headsets over closed ones?...

I mean, I know that you don’t get as sweaty with open ones as you do with closed ones (most of the time anyway).
Soundstage dude. For example right I will listen to classical music and Jazz by Ella Fitzgerald. These are music types recorded in a studio and sometimes live, and basically when each instrument is being played (like sax, violin etc) it is coming from another direction. Now the "broader" those instruments sound is what makes up your sound stage. On open back (because they can breathe and bring in sounds from behind you) that soundstage can be absolutely incredible. Because closed backs are, well, closed it sounds a lot closer to you and can get a bit "muddy" where basically it sounds like everything is coming from right behind you.

I've listened to tracks on my Grados and literally had chills down my spine as it sounds like the singer is singing to me, and the band are in the background (like way behind me).

Usually on closed backs that is the price you will pay. Your soundstage will be a lot closer and narrower. It takes a grand's worth to get even close to my Grado (which are about £500).

The downside? open back pee sound, so will annoy virtually every one you meet, and you can hear noises through them (like police sirens etc). Get yourself in a nice quiet room though? they are usually unbeatable.

A lot of it will depend on what you listen to, because you won't get much of a sound stage with techno and electronic music because they are not recorded the same way. Like, there are no band members playing instruments around a studio offering that variety and "distance" it is all just digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Proper actual LOL. Made me think of Drop Dead Fred. RIP Rik.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

I also prefer them when using a mic as you can hear your voice naturally.

The PC37x being open back is mainly why I mentioned it as a good choice for a headset.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Open back is better sounding. More natural and free flowing. Although for competitive gaming closed headsets for focusing are probably better. When I play single player I always use open back.

Loved my DT990s and now my far superior and favorite headphone Beyerdynamic Amiron is what I use.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd argue that open headphones are better for competitive gaming as well since it's easier to pinpoint enemy locations.

But closed headphones are used in LAN events for obvious reasons.