Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 05-02-21, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
...there should be a ton of cards on containerships and in warehouses?
Everybody is talking about these very expensive GPU's. And the absolute desire to eventually owning one of these. I must be living on a different planet as money these days and all around is super tight and good paying 'career type jobs' are basically non-existing. Most college degrees are now worthless as well and as real tangible experience is the key. And then the unresolved pandemic forcing WFH being the new normal. A close friend knowing the great benefit packages and starting salaries, applied at NIKE HQ in Portland, OR and was told that they had over 262 resumes and or job applicants on hand for the position. He did not qualify and is now back at 'Best Buy' to tie himself over and to eat. On his way out at NIKE a friendly security guard told him: "The good jobs here are not advertised they are all networked!" So I still wonder where does all the money for the big time new GPU's is coming from? From out of space?

(2008) Dell XPS 730x H2C / Dell LGA 775 / i7 Extreme QX9770 3.8GHz / Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 (4x4) / EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB / H2C DELL Liquid AIO / Creative SX-Fi & Corsair SP2500 Speakers / 2x 1GB WD Velociraptor / (1) Samsung SSD 860 PRO 2TB SATA / 2x Disc BluRay CD/DVD / PSU Dell 1000W / Windows 7 Ultimate / Alien FX Lighting
Old 06-02-21, 02:45 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sunday View Post
Everybody is talking about these very expensive GPU's. And the absolute desire to eventually owning one of these. I must be living on a different planet as money these days and all around is super tight and good paying 'career type jobs' are basically non-existing. Most college degrees are now worthless as well and as real tangible experience is the key. And then the unresolved pandemic forcing WFH being the new normal. A close friend knowing the great benefit packages and starting salaries, applied at NIKE HQ in Portland, OR and was told that they had over 262 resumes and or job applicants on hand for the position. He did not qualify and is now back at 'Best Buy' to tie himself over and to eat. On his way out at NIKE a friendly security guard told him: "The good jobs here are not advertised they are all networked!" So I still wonder where does all the money for the big time new GPU's is coming from? From out of space?
I am very frugal with my lifestyle, No luxuries, Very Spartan living, For example, I do not drink, Smoke, Partake in any substances, I don't buy designer clothes or expensive colognes, I don't buy new smartphones every year, Don't even own a smartphone, My internet is super cheap, Slow but stable and cheap.

The food I eat is basic but nutritious, I only drink water and don't consume anything that my body doesn't need, Same goes for my apartment, It's minimalistic, Nothing fancy, Very basic but practical, No girlfriend either and relationships can get very expensive.

All of this adds up over time, My only luxury in life is PC stuff and I am not alone in this type of living.

Old 06-02-21, 11:46 AM
Old N Gold

Yeah, it's true that there are many who are now sadly living below the poverty line due to the current climate and could not afford a new PC even with strict budgeting.

However there are also many who choose to spend what money they have on very specific things, making it appear that they're well off when in fact they live frugally, something others are not used to. They're used to buying a coffee each day, a new t-shirt here and there, using their car when they could walk, wasting food, subscription services, Amazon knick-knacks, not turning off lights. It all adds up. Card tapping now makes it so easy to make small purchases that, at the end of each month, sees your bank account drained.

For a long time I was living on €200 per week. Yet I was able to afford a good PC, guitars, phones, etc. I did that because I never went out, didn't own a car, didn't go on holidays, etc. Everything that I had left over at the end of each week went to buying stuff I wanted. That's it. Now I have very little money for 'stuff' because I'm passionate about bodybuilding, health, and food.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX