Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 07-11-18, 07:47 PM
OC3D Crew

X99 System Should One Consider an Upgrade In Near Future?

To make a story short, my i7 7700K (Gamer PC) died on me, it was a botched de-lid job. I decided to sell off all the parts, keep the SSD's only and go back to my trusty X99 system which just had its 4 year anniversary. So I've decided instead of having 2-3 computers running 24/7, I will consolidate them into one. So this PC will be a gamer PC, a Plex server, and will be a Substratum Node server once the software reaches production version 1.

The problem with running server like tasks on a gamer PC can wreak havoc in games, I found out the hard way before when the game and Plex server were fighting over resources (CPU load spikes etc), but that problem can be solved by adding a Quadro graphics card like the P2000 so all (mostly all) transcodes will be performed on the professional graphics card instead of the CPU. But with this upcoming node software, it could be a fight for resources again.

What do you think? Would the new Z399 platform (or whatever it's gonna be called) be the way to go, with lets say the Intel Core i9-9900X (10/20 cores/threads). Is it even feasible that my i7 5930K with 32 GB RAM would be able to handle this kind of load, even with overclocking? Would virtualization be the way to do it?

P.S: TLDR; Sorry for the wall of text

Old 07-11-18, 09:07 PM
OC3D Elite

I would rather go with Process Lasso, than VMs. It all depends on your budget. If you can afford new HEDT system i would go with 12, or 14 cores. If you want to save some money find used i7-6950X and put it in current system.
Old 07-11-18, 09:20 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
I would rather go with Process Lasso, than VMs. It all depends on your budget. If you can afford new HEDT system i would go with 12, or 14 cores. If you want to save some money find used i7-6950X and put it in current system.
I don't worry too much about cost, and obtaining an i7 6950X could be a cost that in the end won't be worth it compared to buying new. I was also thinking about 12 cores, seems like the sweet spot. Process Lasso though? Never heard that before, what is it?
Old 07-11-18, 09:51 PM
OC3D Elite

If you game at high resolutions where clock speed doesn't matter too much there are 14 core Xeons kicking around. If you are using VMs you can dedicate parts of the CPU to certain VMs etc.

I've no intention of retiring my X99 and Xeon. It simply does everything I need it to and more, so I just wouldn't get any pleasure out of spending a grand just to out-do myself. There are things I would much rather have, like a really clean PC all water cooled with lots of RGB.

Old 07-11-18, 10:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you game at high resolutions where clock speed doesn't matter too much there are 14 core Xeons kicking around. If you are using VMs you can dedicate parts of the CPU to certain VMs etc.

I've no intention of retiring my X99 and Xeon. It simply does everything I need it to and more, so I just wouldn't get any pleasure out of spending a grand just to out-do myself. There are things I would much rather have, like a really clean PC all water cooled with lots of RGB.
Each to their own I guess I never liked Xeon's though, I can't find heads and tails with that platform. Think I'll stick with HEDT, but I might hold out for X599 anyway though, depends I guess...

I've done water cooling for the past 3˝ years and it cost me way too much money than I'd like to admit. I think I've reached a point in my life where I'm done with failures (my own included) and the maintenance is really what's getting to me in the end. I like to do things perfect and not half way through and that can be both a curse and a blessing when doing water cooling. I'll stick with air or AIO for the time being hehe.
Old 07-11-18, 10:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolagarf View Post
I don't worry too much about cost, and obtaining an i7 6950X could be a cost that in the end won't be worth it compared to buying new. I was also thinking about 12 cores, seems like the sweet spot. Process Lasso though? Never heard that before, what is it?
Then 12 core it is.

Process Lasso is the utility to manage core affinity. It is extremely powerful. If you go for 12c/24t cpu you can assign 12 threads for gaming, 4 for Plex, 2 for system processes, rest for your server, etc... It has it's own modes, very smart automatic process affinity management, you can create profiles, and so much more. It is basically everything Windows task scheduler isn't, and it should be. It is such a nice tool to have on high core systems.
Old 07-11-18, 10:29 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Then 12 core it is.

Process Lasso is the utility to manage core affinity. It is extremely powerful. If you go for 12c/24t cpu you can assign 12 threads for gaming, 4 for Plex, 2 for system processes, rest for your server, etc... It has it's own modes, very smart automatic process affinity management, you can create profiles, and so much more. It is basically everything Windows task scheduler isn't, and it should be. It is such a nice tool to have on high core systems.
Sounds awesome. I'll check that out for sure!
Old 08-11-18, 12:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Then 12 core it is.

You can set affinity with any modern os. :P

But honestly I wouldn't really bother with constricting to cores, schedulers are smart. You'll end up wasting resources more often than not.
Old 08-11-18, 01:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
You can set affinity with any modern os. :P

But honestly I wouldn't really bother with constricting to cores, schedulers are smart. You'll end up wasting resources more often than not.
It doesn't remember settings when you set it in windows. You need to set it again every time you run the process.
Old 08-11-18, 09:55 AM
OC3D Crew

Found a listing on ebay for an i7 6950X, but as suspected they are pretty expensive still. I've even seen i9 7900X sell cheaper than that.