Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 04-04-19, 03:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I'm using a single D5 vario to push through 4 rads, CPU, 2 GPUS, two pairs of quick disconnects, and a box reservoir with awful flow issues. I still get 2.1 LPM. If you had no flow, it might have been the way the loop was run. You do have to be wary of how to fill and bleed properly, or have a case that you can tilt in 200 different directions to get things done, LOL!

Old 04-04-19, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I already had my bitspower res, so yeah that's not a bad price.

Old 04-04-19, 04:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Well I'm using a single D5 vario to push through 4 rads, CPU, 2 GPUS, two pairs of quick disconnects, and a box reservoir with awful flow issues. I still get 2.1 LPM. If you had no flow, it might have been the way the loop was run. You do have to be wary of how to fill and bleed properly, or have a case that you can tilt in 200 different directions to get things done, LOL!
2.1 LPM is really low.

optimum loop should be run at 1GPM, thats about 3.9-4.0L or something.
Old 04-04-19, 04:24 PM
OC3D Elite

The thinner radiator is for the top of the case.. Now for the fittings part, this is where it gets complicated I reckon. Oh another thing is the cpu block mentions no fittings, does this mean also no backplate ?
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.275v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - Corsair 3000mhz CL16 LED 4x16GB SKHYNIX - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110i - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 04-04-19, 04:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
2.1 LPM is really low.

optimum loop should be run at 1GPM, thats about 3.9-4.0L or something.
But a single pump won't do that in any loop, so that's grossly incorrect. Flow rate doesn't matter much in a custom loop, assuming it's actually moving water at all.

Old 04-04-19, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
The thinner radiator is for the top of the case.. Now for the fittings part, this is where it gets complicated I reckon. Oh another thing is the cpu block mentions no fittings, does this mean also no backplate ?
Plan your loop. Either draw it with photoshop or use a piece of paper. Then decide what size hose you want, then calculate what fittings you need, then order more than you think you need, as you'll need them. Also buy a few rotary fittings.

Back plates are usually extra, about 30 euro and they will be specific. Well, unless you put it on with 3m tape.

Old 04-04-19, 07:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
But a single pump won't do that in any loop, so that's grossly incorrect. Flow rate doesn't matter much in a custom loop, assuming it's actually moving water at all.
err what?

Motor type: Electronically commutated, brushless DC, spherical motor
Nominal voltage: 12 V DC
Operating voltage range: 9 to 13.4 VDC
Max. nominal power (@12 V): 18 W
Max. nominal current (@12 V): 1.5 A
Max. nominal head (@12 V): 14.7 ft (4.4m)
Max nominal discharge (@12 V): ~ 4.75 GPM (17.5 LPM)
Maximum pressure: 22 PSI (1.5 BAR)
Temperature range: Up to 140°F (60°C)
Electrical power connector: Molex 4 pin
PWM + RPM Signals: 4-pin connector
RoHS: Compliant
Port thread standard: G1/4
MTBF: 50,000 Hours
Included: MCP35x Pump
Mounting Foam
Mounting Screws
2 x G1/4 barbs

Its a shame MArtinslab.org is no longer up as his testing there stating optimal cooling is found around 1GPM, along with statistcal analysis on +/- tolerances and how temp will change as flow approaches 1GPM vs Fans increasing in speed.

In other words, if you found your sweet spot with fan speed but had very low flow, you would see an improvement as you approached 1gpm, but going over that would slowly see a decrease on optimal readings.
Old 04-04-19, 08:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Hmm, interesting, but that bolded stat is only a head measurement and doesn't take into account loop restriction, so I find that a bit odd. I've only ever used D5s, and have never seen a flow rate that high even in a simple loop. But I'm also using impeller-based flow meters, so I don't know how accurate they are.

Either way, sorry if I came off like a d!ck ther Warchild, I just re-read my post and I didn't mean to come across so adversarial. Having a cranky day.

Old 04-04-19, 08:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, but that bolded stat is only a head measurement and doesn't take into account loop restriction, so I find that a bit odd. I've only ever used D5s, and have never seen a flow rate that high even in a simple loop. But I'm also using impeller-based flow meters, so I don't know how accurate they are.

Either way, sorry if I came off like a d!ck ther Warchild, I just re-read my post and I didn't mean to come across so adversarial. Having a cranky day.
DDC are more powerful dude. Well, dependent on the version (in watts). They are noisier though. Probably because they are much slimmer than D5, which is quite fat. I do prefer how the DDC goes together though.

Either way it's not worth arguing over, because inevitably the pump speed is usually reduced for noise purposes. I ran a pump on 12v once. Once.

Old 04-04-19, 08:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
DDC are more powerful dude. Well, dependent on the version (in watts). They are noisier though. Probably because they are much slimmer than D5, which is quite fat. I do prefer how the DDC goes together though.

Either way it's not worth arguing over, because inevitably the pump speed is usually reduced for noise purposes. I ran a pump on 12v once. Once.
Oh I know, not hating the DDC dude. I just prefer the reliability (and lack of PCB that needs to be cooled) on the D5. I also don't mind the hum of D5's running at full blast. You can't really lose with either pump.