Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 04-04-19, 03:37 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,291
Well I'm using a single D5 vario to push through 4 rads, CPU, 2 GPUS, two pairs of quick disconnects, and a box reservoir with awful flow issues. I still get 2.1 LPM. If you had no flow, it might have been the way the loop was run. You do have to be wary of how to fill and bleed properly, or have a case that you can tilt in 200 different directions to get things done, LOL!

__________________
Guts: Ryzen 2700X / Asus CH7 Hero / 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: ADATA SX8200 1TB NVME / 6TB RAID0 HDD array / 4TB RAID0 SSD array
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU & GPUs / 4 360 rads / Barrow box reservoir / dual D5 pumps

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-04-19, 03:47 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,748
I already had my bitspower res, so yeah that's not a bad price.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-04-19, 04:17 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Well I'm using a single D5 vario to push through 4 rads, CPU, 2 GPUS, two pairs of quick disconnects, and a box reservoir with awful flow issues. I still get 2.1 LPM. If you had no flow, it might have been the way the loop was run. You do have to be wary of how to fill and bleed properly, or have a case that you can tilt in 200 different directions to get things done, LOL!
2.1 LPM is really low.

optimum loop should be run at 1GPM, thats about 3.9-4.0L or something.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-04-19, 04:24 PM
FTLN FTLN is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,493
The thinner radiator is for the top of the case.. Now for the fittings part, this is where it gets complicated I reckon. Oh another thing is the cpu block mentions no fittings, does this mean also no backplate ?
__________________
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.275v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - Corsair 3000mhz CL16 LED 4x16GB SKHYNIX - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110i - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-19, 04:38 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
2.1 LPM is really low.

optimum loop should be run at 1GPM, thats about 3.9-4.0L or something.
But a single pump won't do that in any loop, so that's grossly incorrect. Flow rate doesn't matter much in a custom loop, assuming it's actually moving water at all.
__________________
Guts: Ryzen 2700X / Asus CH7 Hero / 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: ADATA SX8200 1TB NVME / 6TB RAID0 HDD array / 4TB RAID0 SSD array
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU & GPUs / 4 360 rads / Barrow box reservoir / dual D5 pumps

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-04-19, 04:43 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
The thinner radiator is for the top of the case.. Now for the fittings part, this is where it gets complicated I reckon. Oh another thing is the cpu block mentions no fittings, does this mean also no backplate ?
Plan your loop. Either draw it with photoshop or use a piece of paper. Then decide what size hose you want, then calculate what fittings you need, then order more than you think you need, as you'll need them. Also buy a few rotary fittings.

Back plates are usually extra, about 30 euro and they will be specific. Well, unless you put it on with 3m tape.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-04-19, 07:39 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
But a single pump won't do that in any loop, so that's grossly incorrect. Flow rate doesn't matter much in a custom loop, assuming it's actually moving water at all.
err what?

Motor type: Electronically commutated, brushless DC, spherical motor
Nominal voltage: 12 V DC
Operating voltage range: 9 to 13.4 VDC
Max. nominal power (@12 V): 18 W
Max. nominal current (@12 V): 1.5 A
Max. nominal head (@12 V): 14.7 ft (4.4m)
Max nominal discharge (@12 V): ~ 4.75 GPM (17.5 LPM)
Maximum pressure: 22 PSI (1.5 BAR)
Temperature range: Up to 140°F (60°C)
Electrical power connector: Molex 4 pin
PWM + RPM Signals: 4-pin connector
RoHS: Compliant
Port thread standard: G1/4
MTBF: 50,000 Hours
Included: MCP35x Pump
Mounting Foam
Mounting Screws
2 x G1/4 barbs

Its a shame MArtinslab.org is no longer up as his testing there stating optimal cooling is found around 1GPM, along with statistcal analysis on +/- tolerances and how temp will change as flow approaches 1GPM vs Fans increasing in speed.

In other words, if you found your sweet spot with fan speed but had very low flow, you would see an improvement as you approached 1gpm, but going over that would slowly see a decrease on optimal readings.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-04-19, 08:20 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,291
Hmm, interesting, but that bolded stat is only a head measurement and doesn't take into account loop restriction, so I find that a bit odd. I've only ever used D5s, and have never seen a flow rate that high even in a simple loop. But I'm also using impeller-based flow meters, so I don't know how accurate they are.

Either way, sorry if I came off like a d!ck ther Warchild, I just re-read my post and I didn't mean to come across so adversarial. Having a cranky day.
__________________
Guts: Ryzen 2700X / Asus CH7 Hero / 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: ADATA SX8200 1TB NVME / 6TB RAID0 HDD array / 4TB RAID0 SSD array
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU & GPUs / 4 360 rads / Barrow box reservoir / dual D5 pumps

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-04-19, 08:22 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Hmm, interesting, but that bolded stat is only a head measurement and doesn't take into account loop restriction, so I find that a bit odd. I've only ever used D5s, and have never seen a flow rate that high even in a simple loop. But I'm also using impeller-based flow meters, so I don't know how accurate they are.

Either way, sorry if I came off like a d!ck ther Warchild, I just re-read my post and I didn't mean to come across so adversarial. Having a cranky day.
DDC are more powerful dude. Well, dependent on the version (in watts). They are noisier though. Probably because they are much slimmer than D5, which is quite fat. I do prefer how the DDC goes together though.

Either way it's not worth arguing over, because inevitably the pump speed is usually reduced for noise purposes. I ran a pump on 12v once. Once.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-04-19, 08:25 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
DDC are more powerful dude. Well, dependent on the version (in watts). They are noisier though. Probably because they are much slimmer than D5, which is quite fat. I do prefer how the DDC goes together though.

Either way it's not worth arguing over, because inevitably the pump speed is usually reduced for noise purposes. I ran a pump on 12v once. Once.
Oh I know, not hating the DDC dude. I just prefer the reliability (and lack of PCB that needs to be cooled) on the D5. I also don't mind the hum of D5's running at full blast. You can't really lose with either pump.
__________________
Guts: Ryzen 2700X / Asus CH7 Hero / 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: ADATA SX8200 1TB NVME / 6TB RAID0 HDD array / 4TB RAID0 SSD array
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU & GPUs / 4 360 rads / Barrow box reservoir / dual D5 pumps

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.