Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 21-10-18, 11:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Acrylic or PETG

Anyone still using acrylic in thier loops or is petg the done thing now. I know that acrylic is more prone to cracking when hit but it is mu h clearer than petg and I find the bends in petg are never perfect they are always slightly warped due to how soft it is.

Im putting my new loop together tomorrow I have both 12mm OD acrylic and petg so looking for opinions from people

BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 | i7-7700K OC @ 5.10GHz | Custom water loop | ASUS MAximus Hero IX Z270 | Aurous Xtreme GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz CL15 | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 250GB Samsung EVO 850 | Corsair HX750I PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 21-10-18, 01:41 PM
OC3D Elite

How wrapped it looks after bending is more about the skill of the bender. You can get them both to look good. Acrylic is clearer, but if you use pastel coolant it really doesn't matter. If your glass is tinted you won't notice the difference from outside. OCD ofc plays the role there. Because you will know what it is. Acrylic is also trickier to bend.

ID also makes the difference, because thinner wall tubing is harder to bend nicely.

If you have Acrylic, and PETG try a simple bend with both. See how good can you manage it and go with whatever feels good.
Old 21-10-18, 04:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
I've been doing a lot of reading as I'd like to do a watercooled build for my next PC.

As Avet says Acrylic will be slightly clearer but PETG will be easier to bend, won't crack or shatter as easily (easier to clean the edges) and the difference in clarity as far as I can tell is minimal
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 21-10-18, 08:35 PM
OC3D Elite

The difference is very noticeable if you use translucent coolant. There is definitely a 'blurriness' to PETG tubing. They both bend pretty much the same, but it takes acrylic a lot longer to heat up. PETG is much quicker to heat and bend. I much prefer acrylic, but it's deffo more work to finish them up properly, but not much more.

Old 22-10-18, 07:20 AM
OC3D Elite

As Bartacus says, the are both easy to bend.

The whole discussion behind which is easier to shape acrylic vs PETG is somewhat true but also a little moot depending on available tools. Both are ridiculously easy to bend. The only difference is that Acrylic needs a higher temperature. If you have a way to control temperature, it would be just as fast as PETG.

Of the two, I will always choose Acrylic. Simply because of the clear effect it provides. It also allows almost any coolant whereas PETG limits you to ONLY non-based glycose.

Acrylic
Pro
* Clearer crystal translucency
* Compatible with almost all coolants
* Doesn't cloud
* Handles higher temp (moot point but still valid)
* Smoother feel and more scratch resistant than PETG
Con
* Less brittle (but does not mean fragile)
* Higher cost
* Harder to cut and burr ends/edges

PETG
Pro
* Easier to work with
* Less brittle
* Cheaper

Con
* Coolant limitations
* Clouds
* Extremely easy to scratch (so screw type fittings watch out)
* Lower temp for warping
* No as good effect under UV lighting

Coming from experience. I will never trust PETG in my loop again. Simply because of an issue I had with 1 rotary. Paint flaked and broke off in fragments contaminating my loop and thus leading to a block at the CPU. It took approx 2 hours for one of the tubes to heat up and warp inside one fitting leading to a huge leak.

Pretty much like this. Allowing the coolant to flow wonderfully out of my loop and into mycase

Old 22-10-18, 08:41 AM
OC3D Elite

I think I will go with acrylic the pros definitely outweigh the cons and I have yet to hear of anyone who's loop cracked or broke during transportation
BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 | i7-7700K OC @ 5.10GHz | Custom water loop | ASUS MAximus Hero IX Z270 | Aurous Xtreme GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz CL15 | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 250GB Samsung EVO 850 | Corsair HX750I PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit