Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 29-01-14, 12:52 AM

Roccat Kave XTD

so, when i first saw the Kave 5.1 i was going to buy it, but soon realized that my lack of a 5.1 sound card would be a slight (major) issue. so, i passed it by.

Then they announced the Kave XTD which came with its own 5.1 sound card and only required a Usb connection. the irony in this is that i am ordering in the parts for a completely new build in a fortnight or so and the motherboard im getting does have 5.1 output.

My dilemma is that from what i've read the 5.1 on the motherboard (gigabyte z87x-ud4h) is "average" at best. so, i'm wondering whether its still worth getting the XTD or whether i should save my money and just get the original? it would help if there were some reviews of the XTD but unfortunately they are few and far between.

any advice would be appreciated!!

Old 29-01-14, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

The original Kaves weren't very good at all, very heavy on the ears and uncomfortable, my ears would sweat terribly. I don't know how it ever made it through QC to be honest.

The XTD's look like an improvement from what I've seen (they've made them lighter at least) but really the whole 5.1 thing is a gimmick at best, I'm sure some people will shout about it though. Just go for some decent stereo non "gaming" headphones and a mic separately would be your best bet and something like the Xonar D2X soundcard.
Old 29-01-14, 09:06 AM
The Webmaster

Don't buy 'surround sound' headsets fella, they're crap.

Get a half decent pair of headphones, an external clip on or desk-mic and use virtual surround with whatever audio solution you're using.

Xonar Essence STX is the preferred solution around here, but a D2X would do for a cheaper option.

Honestly though, all (bar none) 'surround sound' multi-driver headsets are rubbish, believe me I've tried and tested my fair share and have sent plenty back.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 29-01-14, 10:42 AM
born in a.....

I agree with sub, I was surprised how crap the "true" surround sound headsets are compared to simple software based ones. My razer Chimeras were supposed to be "proper" surround but don't sound any better compared to my faithful ol' plantronic 780s with "Dolby surround" program/driver they use . I'm not having a dig at Razer before anyone says anything, I'm having a dig at "proper" surround sound headphones/headsets.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 29-01-14, 01:01 PM
The Webmaster

The issue is, no matter how hard you try, you can't get true sound attenuation when the speakers are only an inch or so from your ear. Where as simulated surround can actively post-process surround sound to make it sound like it's coming from behind you etc.

It's all about ear shape and how sound changes when it's behind you compared to in-front of you and the headsets with individual drivers just can't do it because they're feeding standard speaker sound to what should be a more attenuated sound output device.

High Quality stereo headphones will always beat the 'tru' surround headsets for quality, accuracy and positional audio.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Old 29-01-14, 01:24 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Don't buy 'surround sound' headsets fella, they're crap.

Get a half decent pair of headphones, an external clip on or desk-mic and use virtual surround with whatever audio solution you're using.

Xonar Essence STX is the preferred solution around here, but a D2X would do for a cheaper option.

Honestly though, all (bar none) 'surround sound' multi-driver headsets are rubbish, believe me I've tried and tested my fair share and have sent plenty back.
Agreed with everything you said except "desk-mic." Desk-mics pick up vibrations like crazy, even from things like typing on a keyboard, and they can really ruin the audio. If you buy a desk mic, get a proper stand or shock mount for it ;D
Old 29-01-14, 03:30 PM
The Webmaster

Aye I agree too, but there are things like snowball mics and stuff which are desk mounted. The point is don't get a headset for the sake of the fact it has a mic pre-attached!

Old 29-01-14, 03:43 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Aye I agree too, but there are things like snowball mics and stuff which are desk mounted. The point is don't get a headset for the sake of the fact it has a mic pre-attached!
For sure, I have a Blue Yeti but I took it off the usual stand and bought a boom stand just for that purpose.

Headsets are bad. Stick to proper cans!
Old 29-01-14, 03:45 PM
born in a.....

I have a Blue Yeti microphone. The issue with microphones is usually they're too sensitive and can pick up noise around the house, hence why i buy headsets. Its a shame that its almost impossible to pic up a headset with both excellent microphone and sound quality. One always seems to be weaker than the other.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 29-01-14, 03:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I have a Blue Yeti microphone. The issue with microphones is usually they're too sensitive and can pick up noise around the house, hence why i buy headsets. Its a shame that its almost impossible to pic up a headset with both excellent microphone and sound quality. One always seems to be weaker than the other.
Easy solution is to turn the gain down to 30-60% and move it closer to your mouth. My stand position the mic around 20cm from my mouth, slightly lower down, tilted in the direction of it. I pick up a little ambient noise from my computer, but nothing that noise removal in Audacity can't clean up.

Tags
5.1, headsets, roccat