Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 07-05-13, 11:30 AM
The Guvnor

Every one is different, my training partner reps 140 benchpress and one reps 180.

As long as you do your best thats all that matters, youre only cheating yourself.

Biggest thing always has and always will be ..... diet. If I eat right Im sooooo much stronger its unreal! And vise versa if I eat I lift .

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 07-05-13, 01:51 PM
OC3D Elite

hah

I'm very much casual compared.

One shake a day, some 30 pressups, 3 sets of 12 bicep curls (10kg each arm) and the occasional weekly run.

I do eat healthily though and have managed to lose a stone due to a mixture of eating better, working out (at all) and also a stressful breakup. Currently about 70kg

I feel better in myself which is the main thing we should all strive for (but not get addicted to) and makes me feel that I have done something positive for myself in a time of negative vibes
Old 07-05-13, 01:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
If I eat right Im sooooo much stronger its unreal! And vise versa if I eat I lift .
this is so important, people really dont understand!!

DIET IS KEY!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-13, 02:04 PM
too many shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapoc View Post
hah

I'm very much casual compared.

One shake a day, some 30 pressups, 3 sets of 12 bicep curls (10kg each arm) and the occasional weekly run.
same here bud thats nout compared to some of these guys tho haha
Old 07-05-13, 02:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post

DIET IS KEY!!!!!!!
The human body is just like the engine of a car. Feed it with good quality fuel and regular oil changes and it will run and run. Feed it with crap low octane petrol and it will run like crap.

I used to work for a natural pharmaceutical company selling vitamins and supplements and it's amazing just how much better your body runs when fueled properly. Even the brain works better at thinking more clearly.

Granted over the past couple of years I've let my diet go as I was a bit obsessive with it but even now if I eat a Mcdonalds (a rare meal I see as a treat) I feel like utter crap afterwards.
Old 07-05-13, 08:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post

DIET IS KEY!!!!!!!
If anything, lifting the weights in the gym is the easy part.

When I started paying attention to what I was eating and couting my calories, the bodyfat fell off me last year.

Old 07-05-13, 10:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Powerlifting was always what I liked best. I was a scrawny little in high school so I've got little man syndrome and gotta be bigger and stronger than everybody else.

The only wrinkle was that I was all natural. For one, I couldn't afford roids. For two, I knew if I ever start I'd never stop and I'd be knocking over liquor stores to get them. My best lifts were in summer 2002. At 255 lbs, I had a 420 bench, 550 pull and 600 squat. Those were all regulation lifts with a pause and wearing nothing but a weight belt. I never used a squat suit or bench shirt.

But at that bodyweight and all natural, I got demolished cause the 255 lbs dudes that were juicing were absolute monsters! These dudes were opening with bigger weights than I was topping out at. I never got into the top 5 and the bigger the show, the worse I did. LOL!

I didn't mind though. I knew I would be at a huge disadvantage going natural but it was all for fun so it never bothered me. Still proud of a 600 pound squat.

11 years later and a kid and two jobs and I'm not that strong anymore. I still maintain a bench around 405 but I don't do squats or deadlifts anymore.

My routing back them was:

Monday - Squats
Wednesday - Bench
Friday - Deadlift

One week would be balls out heavy using those 3 lifts with some assistance exercises. The next week was "light" using mostly machines and dumbells.

As for diet, I ate anything that wasn't nailed down. 3500-4000 calories with 250+ grams of protein a day. At my prime I was 255 lbs with a 37" waist, 20" arms and 54" chest. Now I'm 245, 41" waist, 18.5" arms and 52" chest . Sucks to get old.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 32GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G Pro X TKL ••• Logitech G Pro mouse
Old 07-05-13, 11:14 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I live in the US so i am converting all pounds to kgs for you guys.

I know everyone has their own personal ways of working out and such but bench is only beneficial if you incline/decline press(correctly). It does more than flat bench will by far. But even after that bench is still overrated. Sure you get broader shoulders and your chest protrudes more outwards, but not as effective as using strong resistance bands and working out one side of the chest at once. The first time I did this technique i instantly felt the difference in muscles actually being used. It was harder than benching ~61kg of 10 reps with 3 sets(combined). If you would like to me to explain just ask, just won't be a very good one

ISOLATION is key when working out, the more you isolate a single muscle you are trying to work out the better it is for you and you get stronger faster.

Parallel squats are one of the most effective ways to work out your entire leg. If you can not keep the technique then lets just say you're screwed. But you guys already knew that. Deadlifts on the other hand just plain suck. I do not know if you guys have the same deadlifts we would normally do in the US(maybe called different) but they do more harm then good. Sure you get strong but even if done right in the future you will mess up your back. Instead of deadlifts i used to do Powercleans. That was 2 years ago(when i played Football for HS) and it is very hard nbut will make you stronger very quickly. My max was 77kgs...

I have a place here called "Core" and the people who work there truly know what diets are needed. For working out it is not all about the protein. Yes it is the most important but too much and it turns into fat,thats what i thought she said at least... I was to busy looking a little below the face if you know what i mean. I recently started going there but i do not know everything yet on this subject so this is really all I know for now.

I hope i am not coming off as a "know it all" but out where i live people here are HUGE workout addicts. So i have met people who actually do this professionally and i know more than most people do on this subject. Again not trying to come off as a know it all. I apologize if i do.
Old 07-05-13, 11:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Hmm I've never heard of protein turning into fat.

What I have heard however is people getting "rabbit starvation" and being really ill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

I would read that before taking the advice of any meat head down the gym.
Old 08-05-13, 12:13 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
{snip}
All due respect, I couldn't disagree more with ya brother. Bench press does so much for the entire shoulder girdle. I agree it's not the best for bodybuilding purposes as it doesn't develop the chest fully but for overall strength, you can't beat it.

Same with deadlifts. I totally agree that they do suck but man they work everything from the base of your skull to the cracks of your ass. Any exercise can hurt you, the key is in doing it right.

I'm living proof of this. I'm been primarily a powerlifter for over half my life and I've survived 13 years driving a beer truck, lugging around 200 pound kegs for 10 hours a day. Most people last about 2 months in this line of work. I've never had an injury related to heavy lifting. I honestly believe that is from 20+ years of heavy compound movements. Bench, military, deadlifts, squats, bent over rows. These movements are best because you're using more weight than with isolation exercises and you're heavily getting the ancillary muscles involved that you wouldn't otherwise. That's the key. Bench is better because it get every muscle in the shoulder area and arms and even back, involved in stabilizing and controlling this heavy weight. That pays off a lot more in day to day life than isolation exercises or other movements using lighter weight.

I'm not saying you have to bench 400 pounds, but every lifter should be doing compound, multi joint lifts like these with good poundage. This helps the fitness guy, bodybuilder and powerlifter.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 32GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G Pro X TKL ••• Logitech G Pro mouse