Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-01-20, 04:53 PM
News Guru

AMD's rumoured Navi 21 graphics cards may feature 80 CUs - 2x stronger than a RX 5700

That would beat an RTX 2080 Ti...

Read more about AMD's rumoured 80 CU Navi 21 GPU.

Old 22-01-20, 06:35 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Beat it in temps and power consumption too.
Old 22-01-20, 06:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to A7ibaba Send a message via Skype™ to A7ibaba
I have patiently waited for new AMD GPU since R290X, almost 8 years. If rumors are true,Navi 21 would be something similar like Death Star revelation to rebels , in this case nVidia and their ridiculous pricing.
Old 22-01-20, 08:54 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Beat it in temps and power consumption too.
Are you saying that because it's out of place for a higher powered card to draw more power and output more heat?
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-01-20, 12:38 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Are you saying that because it's out of place for a higher powered card to draw more power and output more heat?
Double everything about the 5700xt. It will very much be power-hungry and hot. It doesn't sell well.

The only time people stop caring about performance is if AMD draws more power and runs hotter. It's a convenient excuse to stay Nvidia.

I do doubt the expectations this rumour gives though. Take into account Ray Tracing and there's not much room left and that means it's dense as f* which means hot. Which means lower clocks... etc etc.
Old 23-01-20, 08:34 AM

I'd disregard RT on Turing as a feature... Maybe next gen it'll be valid, but it isn't now.

And I'd certainly take a 400W Radeon card over a 280W 2080ti, if it performs better.
Old 23-01-20, 09:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I'd disregard RT on Turing as a useful feature... Maybe next gen it'll be valid, but it isn't now.

And I'd certainly take a 400W Radeon card over a 280W 2080ti, if it performs better.
Think we had similar discussion in a different thread. Its still a feature, which makes it marketable, but its use is very limited now given its adoption.

I wish AMD had simply come out and said "we don't think RT is mature enough to use yet, so for now we will focus on raw performance"

But saying that, perhaps if RT is brought to market by AMD, we will see more developers adopt it, thus making games more immersive. Next gen as you say.
Old 23-01-20, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

To be fair AMD (well, ATI) were in the opposite position with the 5000 series and really wore out the high temp and power argument.

Thing is they were right, and it was a big deal.

Thing is since then it's been completely reversed. 6000 series, 7000 series, 290/x and so on. Fury needed an aio ffs.

It's become less of a big deal in the media though. Why? Probably because if they did what they did with Fermi AMD as a GPU company wouldn't exist any more.

But after that Vega I'm staying well away. Yeah my games ran good, but man what a price I had to pay. Not so much the energy costs but in human sweat.

This won't get better when they start adding more. The 5700XT is already too hot and loud when pushed hard. What's going to happen with a core twice as dense? The mind boggles.

Normally I'd be up for it as I have water cooling. But with a threadripper I now need to be careful not to overdo the GPU.

Old 23-01-20, 03:41 PM
OC3D Elite

AMD is currently on par with NVidia in energy efficiency terms (RTX 2070 Super consumes about 10% more power than the 5700XT when both are stock). Admittedly that's with a node advantage but in therms of raw power efficiency there shouldn't be much concern.

Of course, that node advantage does mean AMDs dies are denser so dissipating each Watt of heat energy becomes a little bit harder, but GPU coolers have improved a lot.
Old 25-01-20, 06:17 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Double everything about the 5700xt. It will very much be power-hungry and hot. It doesn't sell well.

The only time people stop caring about performance is if AMD draws more power and runs hotter. It's a convenient excuse to stay Nvidia.

I do doubt the expectations this rumour gives though. Take into account Ray Tracing and there's not much room left and that means it's dense as f* which means hot. Which means lower clocks... etc etc.
We don't know for sure, but it's likely that RDNA2 will offer higher IPC. And the 7nm+ process will likely improve efficiency further. So while you could be as right, I think the next Navi cards will offer either double the performance at less than double the TDP, or will offer more than double the performance at double the TDP. While I could eat my words, as AMD have disappointed greatly in the past, it stands to reason that if the next Navi cards are based on a new architecture (obviously not a 'from the ground up' redesign), they could bring greater performance per watt over current Navi. Which means either AMD could go all out and give us a 300W behemoth that easily beats the 2080Ti (and would match the 3080 at a higher TDP but lower price), or a 250-275W sweet spot card that just beats the 2080Ti at the same TDP and at a much lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Think we had similar discussion in a different thread. Its still a feature, which makes it marketable, but its use is very limited now given its adoption.

I wish AMD had simply come out and said "we don't think RT is mature enough to use yet, so for now we will focus on raw performance"

But saying that, perhaps if RT is brought to market by AMD, we will see more developers adopt it, thus making games more immersive. Next gen as you say.
I thought they did.

"I think ray tracing is an important technology, it's something we're working on as well from both a hardware and software standpoint. I think the important thing though -- and that's why we talk so much about the development community -- is that technology for technology's sake is okay, but technology done together with partners and really getting the development community fully engaged is really important." - Lisa Su

“Utilization of ray tracing games will not proceed unless we can offer ray tracing in all product ranges from low end to high end,” - David Wang
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX