Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion
View Poll Results: Where does this thread belong?
Humour 2 20.00%
Serious discussion 5 50.00%
General off-topic 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-01-19, 02:32 PM
Resident Newb

So my ISP contacted me today as my contract is due to be renewed, I was paying £23 per month for a basic 20Mbps line as there is nothing better/faster in my whole area due to it being somewhat in the countryside.

They said due to Brexit the price is going up to £33, I told them -

"Well isn't that a coincidence, My savings just went up to £33 a month, I won't be renewing, You and companies like you are using Brexit as an excuse to try and fleece even more money from people".

He quickly back tracked and offered me a new deal for the same price as my previous one.

It's pretty sad that you have to threaten service cancellation to get through to someone.

Old 29-01-19, 02:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
So my ISP contacted me today as my contract is due to be renewed, I was paying £23 per month for a basic 20Mbps line as there is nothing better/faster in my whole area due to it being somewhat in the countryside.

They said due to Brexit the price is going up to £33, I told them -

"Well isn't that a coincidence, My savings just went up to £33 a month, I won't be renewing, You and companies like you are using Brexit as an excuse to try and fleece even more money from people".

He quickly back tracked and offered me a new deal for the same price as my previous one.

It's pretty sad that you have to threaten service cancellation to get through to someone.
lol dude you've got no idea !!

My house insurance was expensive @ £23 a month. Turns out my ex had the type of insurance you need as a house owner. Any way, at the end of the year they sent me a bill for the next year. Get this, £45 a month. I phoned them and said "WTF? it is supposed to go down not up !!" and they said the best they could do was £35. Then she told me I should switch.

Wait.. So the people who could have had £23 a month or less out of me every month in the bank say that I should leave. The thing is? they are all doing it !! I had a BT deal @£43. They say if I don't switch or cancel by 18 months it goes up to £68. They never outright told me that I should switch, but JFC that is what the world has come to.

I guess they're hoping people forget or whatever or don't want to switch etc.

Jokers. I ended up getting the top insurance with Legal and General for £17 pm.

Old 29-01-19, 03:38 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
lol dude you've got no idea !!

My house insurance was expensive @ £23 a month. Turns out my ex had the type of insurance you need as a house owner. Any way, at the end of the year they sent me a bill for the next year. Get this, £45 a month. I phoned them and said "WTF? it is supposed to go down not up !!" and they said the best they could do was £35. Then she told me I should switch.

Wait.. So the people who could have had £23 a month or less out of me every month in the bank say that I should leave. The thing is? they are all doing it !! I had a BT deal @£43. They say if I don't switch or cancel by 18 months it goes up to £68. They never outright told me that I should switch, but JFC that is what the world has come to.

I guess they're hoping people forget or whatever or don't want to switch etc.

Jokers. I ended up getting the top insurance with Legal and General for £17 pm.
Nailed it right there mate. It's unbelievable how many people actually do forget and keep paying so they make millions on them alone.

I won't deny, I've had a decent experience with Three. Had many contracts in the past with them and they've never increased due to RPI each year, never tried to increase and blame Brexit or anything, and the one time I called asking to get my contract dropped because they're doing a Jan deal for new customers (My contract but at £9 a month instead of £13) they did it no questions asked. My mum had the same with Virgin, contract expired a year or two ago, never put the price up, and when she called asking to have the TV and Landline dropped (so just pure Broadband) they did it, no questions asked and lowered her tariff even further.

I hate utility companies with a untold passion though; dirty, greedy.... yeah. I won't finish that sentence
Old 29-01-19, 04:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Nailed it right there mate. It's unbelievable how many people actually do forget and keep paying so they make millions on them alone.

I won't deny, I've had a decent experience with Three. Had many contracts in the past with them and they've never increased due to RPI each year, never tried to increase and blame Brexit or anything, and the one time I called asking to get my contract dropped because they're doing a Jan deal for new customers (My contract but at £9 a month instead of £13) they did it no questions asked. My mum had the same with Virgin, contract expired a year or two ago, never put the price up, and when she called asking to have the TV and Landline dropped (so just pure Broadband) they did it, no questions asked and lowered her tariff even further.

I hate utility companies with a untold passion though; dirty, greedy.... yeah. I won't finish that sentence
Sky is the worst for this. I called them asked to reduce they said no basically and that I was on the best offer they could do. I asked the woman how much it cost sky to send me freeview she said nothing, I then asked her how much sky's costs are to switch on everything on my box, she refused to answer so I told her nothing. If I leave you and use your box as a freeview receiver it costs you the exact same as if I want the full movies and sports package. anyway left them and within a week letters of cheaper offers than I was on with free tv's no setup fee's, faster broadband ect……
It seems the figure they are chasing is new customer sign ups so technically i would have been a new customer i spose. Thing is a much better number to look at should be how many of our customers have left to go somewhere else. Comparethewhatever.com is the blame for this, customer loyalty went out the window once people realised how many suppliers of there choice of whatever there was out there. Bring back the loyalty bonuses instead of seeing loyal customers as easy targets
Old 29-01-19, 07:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
Sky is the worst for this. I called them asked to reduce they said no basically and that I was on the best offer they could do. I asked the woman how much it cost sky to send me freeview she said nothing, I then asked her how much sky's costs are to switch on everything on my box, she refused to answer so I told her nothing. If I leave you and use your box as a freeview receiver it costs you the exact same as if I want the full movies and sports package. anyway left them and within a week letters of cheaper offers than I was on with free tv's no setup fee's, faster broadband ect……
It seems the figure they are chasing is new customer sign ups so technically i would have been a new customer i spose. Thing is a much better number to look at should be how many of our customers have left to go somewhere else. Comparethewhatever.com is the blame for this, customer loyalty went out the window once people realised how many suppliers of there choice of whatever there was out there. Bring back the loyalty bonuses instead of seeing loyal customers as easy targets
Yeah Sky are another company who will gladly see you go. It's ridiculous.

Now Virgin on the other hand? back in 98 we (my mum, bro and me) used to chip in and pay around £35 for cable TV. Well I left for 3 months to go to the USA and my mother knew I wasn't coming back for long (she knew then it was serious and I was moving out there) so she talked to my bro and they said naff it, get rid of it.

So she phoned Virgin, who said to her "How much could you afford?" and she, for a joke, said "I dunno, a tenner?" and thus her cable was then £10 a month.

At the end of the day I guess they had laid the cable to her house so getting a tenner was better than getting nothing. She was thrilled, job done.

But every one else? don't care. When your contract ends and you "deal" expires they care not one jot about you leaving. It's absolutely crazy.

I can only think this strategy has been adopted from the USA, but it's absolutely stupid. Why would you not want to retain customers? it just makes absolutely no sense.

Old 30-01-19, 12:25 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah Sky are another company who will gladly see you go. It's ridiculous.

Now Virgin on the other hand? back in 98 we (my mum, bro and me) used to chip in and pay around £35 for cable TV. Well I left for 3 months to go to the USA and my mother knew I wasn't coming back for long (she knew then it was serious and I was moving out there) so she talked to my bro and they said naff it, get rid of it.

So she phoned Virgin, who said to her "How much could you afford?" and she, for a joke, said "I dunno, a tenner?" and thus her cable was then £10 a month.

At the end of the day I guess they had laid the cable to her house so getting a tenner was better than getting nothing. She was thrilled, job done.

But every one else? don't care. When your contract ends and you "deal" expires they care not one jot about you leaving. It's absolutely crazy.

I can only think this strategy has been adopted from the USA, but it's absolutely stupid. Why would you not want to retain customers? it just makes absolutely no sense.
I find the same thing with car insurance companies. I bounce between the two cheapest ones every year as they refuse to give existing customers the new membership deal. It's nuts. I have to keep swapping and being disloyal to get the best prices. Since when was the reward for loyalty getting shafted in the wallet?

Tags
fml