Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 16-11-21, 04:14 PM
OC3D Elite

OK. Toward the edges need another fine polish, but they are pretty much there.

The plain red lines have much more definition now.

The back, spot the problem...

Yeah not the thin paint on the bottom one... Look up.

Given they were both loose in the box when it came I think that one was bent/cracked. I say this because all I did was pull some tape off and it came off with it. So that needs repairing too.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 16-11-21, 04:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Well after five days of work I wanted to play. Do note, I am 99% certain the grey "Antec" part will be changed. Got a few ideas, not sure which one to go with just yet.

Old 16-11-21, 07:14 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so now that the main paint is buttoned up it was time to move onto ideas. Like I said, I don't like the grey bit with "Antec" on. I did think about removing it (you can) but then I just thought I would make a cover for it.

Then I remembered that about two years ago I had an idea for stabilising Kevlar into a sheet so I could make shapes with it etc. So I went and dug that out. It's woven Kevlar into carbon. I didn't realise until today what a pain it is to cut. Soon figured out you need to hold the edges with tape, but man even my really sharp scissors struggled. What I did then was epoxy it down onto a piece of 1mm acrylic that I had spare.

I will then create edges with blu tak or something and pour in some clear resin. Well, I say clear, but I will probably tint it red.

Old 21-11-21, 04:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Had some pretty devastating news last week so I've just been off my face on opioids trying to come to terms with that for the past few days. I got as far as this.

And then soon realised I needed more stuff. Which I have only just ordered.

Old 21-11-21, 06:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Now I am home I dug out the small hole saw set. I will remake the hex adapter panel for the flow meter with the correct sized hole in it when I return.

I've also soldered up the LED ring for it.

Old 25-11-21, 02:17 AM
OC3D Elite

What an absolute nightmare. Hory shet.

I started at around 7pm. Might have even been earlier. Looped up the rig.

The first thing I realised was that there was a capacitor on the new board right in the way of the pump outlet fitting. Because the pump top is quite big this meant I could not fit it how I had originally test fitted it.

I tried the pump every single way, but with the port coming out straight the glass would never fit back on and with it on the right it runs into the front IO board. TBH? this is a stupid mistake by Antec, and one I am really peed off about. I could not even relocate the pump, because there is literally one place you can put it. In the end I cannibalised some Corsair standoffs that come with an AIO and this brought the pump out away from the mobo tray enough so that the fitting cleared in the original position. At this point I looped it.

Then I realised I had made another mistake. The pump to SATA cable I bought (EK) is 12v only. God, what a racket. That's OK though, I can sort that out later. Ran the loop for about two hours with the hardware turned off. Noticed I had a leak. Guess what it was? yup, a straight rotary AGAIN. Managed to replace that with a straight extension (didn't matter because the fitting that goes into it is rotary) and tried again. Noticed another leak. This time... You guessed it ! exactly the same type of straight rotary. Only this time I had no replacement.

Thankfully it is the one going from the flow meter into the pump, and there is nothing under it. Plus it's a tiny drip. So then I powered on the rig. Nothing. NADA. Fans going absolutely crazy, no POST. Now at this point I shat myself. Like, totally shat myself, and figured I had bricked the GPU somehow which at this point in time would be irreplaceable. However, I noticed that the RAM RGB was not working. At which point I realised I had seen this before. Once I over tightened the clamp pressure on a CPU block and saw the same symptoms. So, I took the board out after draining it and added springs to the back as I should have done originally. Bingo bongo, it boots.

However. Now I have other issues. Firstly one of the RGB connectors on the hub has snapped (they really are the worst headers I have ever encountered) so the pull fans on the rear won't light up. This isn't a major issue as there is another header, however it means I need to completely remove them all as one of the daisy chains has pulled out also FFS.

So I have ordered some more bits. Firstly to completely remove the [email protected] straight rotary and fit something that won't friggin leak. I also get a free drain port, which I will no doubt need.

Bitspower one was out of stock. Plus it was 3x as much as that. I've ordered this to create a 7v feed to the pump. I really can't be assed paying AC for their software every year and fitting an enormous controller just to run the pump at 7v.

And these. Because the ones that came on it all fell off and have trashed the top of my pedestal.

OK. So the final problem. Because I had to space the pump away from the mobo tray the glass no longer effing fits. Seriously, you couldn't make it up. So I have ordered these.

I will show what they are for when they are fitted. No point trying to explain it.

Old 25-11-21, 06:12 PM
OC3D Elite

RGB issues fixed. Wiring sorted. Just the pump to sort, and obviously the loop to fix.

This covers the two wiring hubs in the left side.

Old 25-11-21, 06:25 PM
OC3D Elite

The leaning tower of Bitspower
Old 25-11-21, 06:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
The leaning tower of Bitspower
Yup, that's those terrible rotary fittings. XSPC (name and shame). They're all over the place, and when you apply any lateral pressure (sideways) at all they leak.

Ignore that for now. The Barrow one should be rock solid, and I am planning making a plate so I can literally stick the back of the res to the mobo tray. I also decided last minute that having GPU cables go right over the IO was boiling my urine, so ran them under the hose. Thus, the hose could do with being a smidge longer to take that into account

I also figured out what was turning the LEDs on the res orange. The stupid Aorus back plate I desperately wanted to replace. Has a stupid RGB bird on it. Sadly if any one did make replacement back plates for this GPU? they aren't for sale any more. Harumph.

Talking of the GPU. It goes under water, like really goes.

2160. I also figured out why the VRAM behaves the way it does on air in UE. It's factory overclocked. And, it wasn't tested correctly at Gigabyte and when you run Unreal Engine on it with the crap air cooler (looks aside it's pants tbh) it can't hold the clocks and crashes.

Bellends.

Old 26-11-21, 01:43 PM
OC3D Crew

That coreclock is nice but the memory crashing at stock OC? Giga"shi..." are helping themselves there...
5000D | R7-5800X | MSI X570 Tomahawk | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB & 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | ViewSonic XG270QG| Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT