Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 29-04-17, 09:50 AM

what about the phanteks air cooler that surpasses the corsair h100i. I do not like a ready water-cooling solution as you pay allot for a limited time of use. If we could refill them and change tubing's (replace their parts, instead of throwing them away when the liquid evaporates or the tubings get bad)... then yes... but there is not any. 120-180 euros is allot of money for what they offer.

Old 29-04-17, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacos View Post
what about the phanteks air cooler that surpasses the corsair h100i. I do not like a ready water-cooling solution as you pay allot for a limited time of use. If we could refill them and change tubing's (replace their parts, instead of throwing them away when the liquid evaporates or the tubings get bad)... then yes... but there is not any. 120-180 euros is allot of money for what they offer.
The Phanteks doesn't really cool any better than other similar sized air coolers. The R1 Ultimate, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, Phanteks TC14PE, Noctua NH-D15, they all perform within margin of error of each other.
Old 02-05-17, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
most enthusiasts would, but not everyone will. Especially those people buying the 1600/x CPUs. Either way, spending all that money on a cooler hurts the "cheaper" argument people, including me, would use. It'll still end up cheaper of course than an intel system, but still more money is still more money.
Not saying that I disagree with you, but a good AIO is like a good monitor. It will be there when you upgrade. Maybe one would add it latter if budget is an issue.
Old 02-05-17, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd like to toss in one point people rarely (if ever) mention when talking about AIOs versus air coolers. Unless the AIO is tested PROPERLY, it's not a valid comparison. By properly, I mean if you REALLY want to test the heat dissipation capability of an AIO, you need to stress test for MINIMUM 1 full hour, if not 2 hours. The good thing about air coolers is you'll hit your "worst case" scenario much quicker. With an AIO, you don't hit the "worst case" scenario until your liquid temps max out, which takes a while since liquid heats up a lot slower than air. Anyone who buys an AIO, stress tests for 20 minutes, and then assumes they're doing much better than an air cooler is incorrect, and not taking that stuff into account.

Top end air coolers ARE comparable to AIOs. Back in the day, when I first went from a good air cooler to an AIO, I gained NOTHING in terms of temps. But that wasn't obvious until I stress tested for hours.

I know this is common sense to some of you, but I thought it was worth mentioning.