Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 25-04-17, 06:06 PM
tinytomlogan's Avatar
tinytomlogan tinytomlogan is offline
The Guvnor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TTL Towers
Posts: 20,059
AMD Ryzen 5 & 7 CPU Cooler Round Up



How much do you need to cool your new Ryzen 1500, 1600x or 1800x? Will your cooler stand up well to overclocking?


AMD Ryzen 5 & 7 CPU Cooler Round Up
__________________
If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW


Get along or run along. Your choice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-04-17, 06:36 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Asgard
Posts: 12,280
Such a shame for a low temp limit. This kinda hurts the argument that AMD platform is cheaper right now since you need to invest into a strong cooler to maintain the OCs most people aim for
__________________
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back,
And all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-04-17, 07:28 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Such a shame for a low temp limit. This kinda hurts the argument that AMD platform is cheaper right now since you need to invest into a strong cooler to maintain the OCs most people aim for
But at the same time how many people overclock on X99 without a large cooler.

I do agree with you, raising the thermal limit with Ryzen 2 would be fantastic, as it could allow even basic air cooling to handle higher overclocks/voltages. If it were 80 Degrees I think even the Cryorig H7 would have passed OC testing on the 8-core.
__________________
I'm not saying that 1984 is a bad book, but the dystopia we are currently living in has much better worldbuilding.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-04-17, 07:36 PM
Greenback's Avatar
Greenback Greenback is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,873
Thanks for all the work Tom and your helping hands, Was interesting how little difference between the 12v and 7v think I'd go for a little warmer quieter system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Such a shame for a low temp limit. This kinda hurts the argument that AMD platform is cheaper right now since you need to invest into a strong cooler to maintain the OCs most people aim for
Tbh I'd think if your looking at overclocking either Intel or AMD you'd most lightly look at an AIO
__________________
CASE: Define R5
CPU: RYZEN 1500x, H100i GTX
MB: MSI TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
OS: CRUCIAL MX100 250GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-04-17, 10:53 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Asgard
Posts: 12,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Tbh I'd think if your looking at overclocking either Intel or AMD you'd most lightly look at an AIO
most enthusiasts would, but not everyone will. Especially those people buying the 1600/x CPUs. Either way, spending all that money on a cooler hurts the "cheaper" argument people, including me, would use. It'll still end up cheaper of course than an intel system, but still more money is still more money.
__________________
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back,
And all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-04-17, 03:56 AM
Excalabur50's Avatar
Excalabur50 Excalabur50 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
most enthusiasts would, but not everyone will. Especially those people buying the 1600/x CPUs. Either way, spending all that money on a cooler hurts the "cheaper" argument people, including me, would use. It'll still end up cheaper of course than an intel system, but still more money is still more money.
You can't really use that argument though NBD as most people now are going for AIO it's only the real budget conscious that use air now and as Tom proved you can use a cheaper AIO and still get decent results
And besides people are putting AIO on their Intel systems too so all the pricing is relative so AMD is still cheaper
__________________
DRAGON'S MIST
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 3000Mhz Dominator Platinums= MSI GTX980Ti Gaming 6G=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-17, 02:40 PM
KTM_RULZ KTM_RULZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
most enthusiasts would, but not everyone will. Especially those people buying the 1600/x CPUs. Either way, spending all that money on a cooler hurts the "cheaper" argument people, including me, would use. It'll still end up cheaper of course than an intel system, but still more money is still more money.
Not saying that I disagree with you, but a good AIO is like a good monitor. It will be there when you upgrade. Maybe one would add it latter if budget is an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-04-17, 08:02 PM
Streetguru Streetguru is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Such a shame for a low temp limit. This kinda hurts the argument that AMD platform is cheaper right now since you need to invest into a strong cooler to maintain the OCs most people aim for
I use the $25 Hyper T4 to cooler my R7 1700 at 3800-3900mhz @ 1.4V and it seems to work just fine, granted I've upgraded the fan to a 140mm High Pressure Venturi fan, but it's probably not too much better than the stock fan. fan ran at 100% RPM, controled by a Sentry Mix 2 fan controller, super handy to have btw

Rarely breaks 60C running in a hot shed.

I would highly recommend a deepcool gammax 400 instead though, as it has cut outs to fit RAM, i wouldn't be able to put RAM into the 1st slot if I needed to upgrade to 32GBs, since I can't turn the heatsink on AM4 anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-04-17, 07:53 AM
dihartnell dihartnell is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetguru View Post
I use the $25 Hyper T4 to cooler my R7 1700 at 3800-3900mhz @ 1.4V and it seems to work just fine, granted I've upgraded the fan to a 140mm High Pressure Venturi fan, but it's probably not too much better than the stock fan. fan ran at 100% RPM, controled by a Sentry Mix 2 fan controller, super handy to have btw

Rarely breaks 60C running in a hot shed.

I would highly recommend a deepcool gammax 400 instead though, as it has cut outs to fit RAM, i wouldn't be able to put RAM into the 1st slot if I needed to upgrade to 32GBs, since I can't turn the heatsink on AM4 anyways.

Those volts are very high for that clockspeed. You should be able to lower.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-04-17, 04:40 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Asgard
Posts: 12,280
You missed my point, it is still expensive compared to just an air cooler. So yes AMD is less expensive when both are using AIOs, but the issue is it still is more money when including it. Cheaper yes, but at a higher price point.
I doubt most people use AIOs now, Air Cooling is still cheaper. If the Ryzen limit was higher, Air Cooling would be an even better choice to the majority of people who want a Ryzen system as I suspect most are on a budget. The people who are buying Ryzen 7, are more likely to get an AIO, but the budget gamer going for the Ryzen 5 chips are less likely to do so.
__________________
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back,
And all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump








All times are GMT. The time now is 09:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.