Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-05-18, 09:18 AM
News Guru

Intel discusses 10nm, future 14nm plans and Spectre

Intel discusses 10nm, their future 14nm plans and Spectre hardware mitigations. Intel is not finished with 14nm.

Read more about Intel's 10nm manufacturing process, 14nm plans and Spectre/Meltdown mitigations.

Old 16-05-18, 12:14 PM

if amd can get good volume for rome intel will be in trouble, as they will release either a 48 core or 64 core server cpu, which will make amd's single socket offerings even more sexy, awesome time to be alive,
PS: lets hope intel isn't bribing the out of everybody again to keep amd's volume low
Old 16-05-18, 01:30 PM
OC3D Crew

I don't see this as an issue. Most consumers could care less if it's 10 or 14nm, likely most don't even know what this means. It's probably just technobabble to them. What is more important is that Intel at least stay on par with AMD in performance and they have to lower their prices.
Old 17-05-18, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolagarf View Post
I don't see this as an issue. Most consumers could care less if it's 10 or 14nm, likely most don't even know what this means. It's probably just technobabble to them. What is more important is that Intel at least stay on par with AMD in performance and they have to lower their prices.
It is an issue for Intel as smaller nodes reduce power consumption and decrease the die size. Smaller dies mean more processors per wafer which allows for cheaper pricing per unit with the same overall profit per wafer. Lower power consumption leads to longer battery life and lessens the need for powerful VRMs which reduces the costs for motherboard manufacturers.