Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
OC3D Elite

My ProLite monitor is old hat. Bringing its successor to the table:

The Samsung C34H890 34" Ultra WQHD Professional Monitor

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I waited for the embargo to lift on the OnePlus 6 before buying the S9. The reviews were amazing, but the lack of contracts (I don't have €580 right now), no water proofing, and no stereo speakers coerced my hand to the more expensive (in the long run) S9. I would also have bought the Huawei P20 as it's very good value considering and has a superior battery life, but that doesn't have a headphone jack or stereo speakers either. I could live without the stereo speakers or just the headphone jack, but not both.
Aye that's fair enough. The OnePlus 6 has splash proof water resistance like rain (Which is more than enough for me) but granted, I remember the S9 advert of a guy dropping it in the sink.

I'm in the same boat about the speakers and headphones, I don't particularly care about speakers since I never use them, headphone jack is a total must. The OP6 not having one would be a complete deal breaker for me.

The lack of contracts is quite annoying (Can only get it on O2 here, been there.. sod that!) but again, not a problem for me since I've gotta get it SIM free since I'll be rooting and ROMing it first chance I get.

Oh well, £200 left and I'll have one

Ryzen 1700X | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue | XFX RX 480 8GiB
240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Aye that's fair enough. The OnePlus 6 has splash proof water resistance like rain (Which is more than enough for me) but granted, I remember the S9 advert of a guy dropping it in the sink.

I'm in the same boat about the speakers and headphones, I don't particularly care about speakers since I never use them, headphone jack is a total must. The OP6 not having one would be a complete deal breaker for me.

The lack of contracts is quite annoying (Can only get it on O2 here, been there.. sod that!) but again, not a problem for me since I've gotta get it SIM free since I'll be rooting and ROMing it first chance I get.

Oh well, £200 left and I'll have one
I've been tempted to root my phones from time to time, but in general I find myself contented with the stock Android experience and the UI from each respective manufacturer—even Samsung. HTC have always had a relatively 'thin' skin, and I've had no qualms with it—Samsung's is a little bloated though. However with my favourite launcher and a few weeks tweaking different designs, I'm happy.

The benefit of rooting my S9 would be to improve battery life. Anandtech released an article that went viral about how Europe only received Xynos 9810 chips made by Samsung and not the Snapdragon 845 made by Qualcomm in their S9s. From their tests, not only was the 9810 slower but it consumed more power. Considering the meagre battery capacity of the S9, Samsung should not have used the 9810 in that device or should have increased the battery size—or even dropped the price for Europeans to reflect the weaker performance. But as usual Americans get all the good stuff while the rest of the world pays more for less. Anyway, with a custom ROM you can tweak the processor to improve battery life by around 20%.

But even then it wouldn't be worth it for a guy like me. Quick charging is brilliant, as is wireless charging. Once they were introduced, I stopped caring about battery life. If I'm out and about, I carry my charger with me. If I anticipate my phone won't last, I stop at a coffee shop and charge it for ten minutes. That'll be enough to get home. Job done. Portable battery packs are available as well. If I were an avid phone user and always on the go, I'd definitely not buy the S9—I'd buy the S9 Plus or the Huawei P20 Plus—but I'm neither so I'm fine with charging the phone once or even twice in a day.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked up this lovely 4k 32" IPS display by 'Electriq'. I'm pretty impressed, especially for the price!
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Bought myself a set of cans

beyerdynamic dt 990 edition 250 ohm version
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Loved the cans. Always wanted the all black edition though. They just look really good.
Still have them. All boxed up though. I have the Amiron cans now
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
OC3D Elite

I needed something that can deliver some epic tunes, my Astro stereo headset isnt terrible but i find headsets seriously lacking in quality of sound and how loud they can go. i will keep using the Astro for gaming calls as its fine, but late night movies, music and singleplayer games, yeah those will probably blow me away.
Old Today, 01:05 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I used them for gaming when they were my primary cans. Was still great! Give it a try?
Old Today, 08:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah for sure when im not on call or group calls during games!