Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-04-18, 12:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Vinyl is an oxy moron. Let me explain why. Audiophiles are insistent upon not shaping, colouring, or digitising the sound at all. Everything must remain flat, no enhancements etc. However, vinyl *does* colour the sound completely. I have many FLAC rips of albums (not that I did, my turntable is nowhere near enough high grade to bother) and you can immediately tell it is from vinyl. Flat treble, warm sound, and the noise of the needle being in the groove. So as much as you may harp on about the attributes of vinyl it does totally colour the sound.

Which is fine of course, if you like that. Personally speaking I think it sounds pretty hideous through an expensive pair of cans. The hiss, pops and crackles do make me feel slight nostalgia, then I can't wait to get my WAV rips playing for the clarity.

It's also a complete sod to clean records properly, with some resorting to pouring wood glue all over them. I don't miss piddling around with cloths and window cleaner at all.

Old 16-04-18, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Vinyl is an oxy moron. Let me explain why. Audiophiles are insistent upon not shaping, colouring, or digitising the sound at all. Everything must remain flat, no enhancements etc. However, vinyl *does* colour the sound completely. I have many FLAC rips of albums (not that I did, my turntable is nowhere near enough high grade to bother) and you can immediately tell it is from vinyl. Flat treble, warm sound, and the noise of the needle being in the groove. So as much as you may harp on about the attributes of vinyl it does totally colour the sound.

Which is fine of course, if you like that. Personally speaking I think it sounds pretty hideous through an expensive pair of cans. The hiss, pops and crackles do make me feel slight nostalgia, then I can't wait to get my WAV rips playing for the clarity.

It's also a complete sod to clean records properly, with some resorting to pouring wood glue all over them. I don't miss piddling around with cloths and window cleaner at all.
I guess you meant HD Vinyl is an oxymoron
Old 16-04-18, 12:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I guess you meant HD Vinyl is an oxymoron
All of it is, and always was tbh. I've had people ribbing me for using valves for example over the years, saying how it adds to the sound and takes away from it etc. Yet nothing does that more than vinyl. Each cartridge, each pressing sounds completely different.

BITD when I was a bedroom DJ I used to use Ortofon concorde. Every one else was using Stanton. As I say, I don't miss it at all. It's also very heavy in large volumes and if you are a serious collector takes up an entire room.

It's also LOLably expensive for a decent phono stage. All that money people spend and then you get hiss and pops for it. I don't get it hahaha.

Mind you I have no love for old BMX bikes either. I am a technophile and welcome improvements, stronger bikes etc. People just don't seem to get that. I don't get warm and fuzzy over a bike that continually comes loose and breaks.

Old 17-04-18, 01:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Linn Sondek Ittok Asok FTW.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 17-04-18, 12:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
Linn Sondek Ittok Asok FTW.
Or a CD drive for £8 and some ripping tools for free lol.