Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-07-20, 10:57 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,191
Cyberpunk 2077 will be a DirectX 12-only game on PC - Windows 7 will be supported

CD Projekt Red is going all-in on DirectX 12.



Read more about Cyberpunk 2077 being a DirectX 12-only game on PC.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-20, 11:09 AM
eXile6's Avatar
eXile6 eXile6 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to eXile6
It's gonna be epic and I simply cannot wait. Building a new machine for it as this 2070Super will not do
__________________
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.4 all core| MSI B450 GAMING Pro Carbon | Team Dark Pro 16GB 3200mhz CL14 | Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super @2145mhz| Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVME | Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD| Be Quiet Straight Power 10 CM 600W Gold | Fractal Design Meshify C |AOC 24G21080p 144hz IPS |AKG K7XX + Modmic 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-20, 03:28 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,235
I'm surprised a company like them wouldn't have gone to Vulkan. One API to rule them all. Except Xbox but that's because MS. It's probably due to less RT support.

Either way I'm glad they are pushing the envelope. It's time we move on from dx11
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-20, 04:54 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm surprised a company like them wouldn't have gone to Vulkan. One API to rule them all. Except Xbox but that's because MS. It's probably due to less RT support.

Either way I'm glad they are pushing the envelope. It's time we move on from dx11
The PlayStation 4 doesn't use Vulkan, it has its own API.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-20, 07:58 PM
jcchg jcchg is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 53
We need more "CD Projekt Red" developers that push forward the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-20, 09:10 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
The PlayStation 4 doesn't use Vulkan, it has its own API.
What's your point? With Vulkan they could target for example the Switch, Linux, and Windows. Regardless of whatever they use Sony's platform will be its own API. Regardless of Vulkan or DX12. With Xbox they will still need DX12 but they open the door to more platforms which could potentially reduce the overall costs associated with this.

This is important because games are getting more expensive yet the $60 price tag has remained steadfast for over a decade. You cannot have a stagnant sale price and an exponentially fluid and growing operating costs. This is why games as a service is becoming the norm. It allows for continued ROI. Now if CDPR believes it wasn't worth the risk that's fine and at the very least they are pushing forward on at least one API. It's just limiting their market when they own GOG which does sell many Linux compatible games and have their own storefront to reap all the profits.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-20, 09:42 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
What's your point? With Vulkan they could target for example the Switch, Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Regardless of whatever they use Sony's platform will be its own API. Regardless of Vulkan or DX12. With Xbox they will still need DX12 but they open the door to more platforms which could potentially reduce the overall costs associated with this.

This is important because games are getting more expensive yet the $60 price tag has remained steadfast for over a decade. You cannot have a stagnant sale price and an exponentially fluid and growing operating costs. This is why games as a service is becoming the norm. It allows for continued ROI. Now if CDPR believes it wasn't worth the risk that's fine and at the very least they are pushing forward on at least one API. It's just limiting their market when they own GOG which does sell many Linux compatible games and have their own storefront to reap all the profits
You said "One API to rule them all. Except Xbox but that's because MS."

"Except Xbox" Implies that Sony doesn't do the same. I am just confirming that Sony does indeed have its own API.

The Switch also has Nvidia's NVN API, which is Nvidia's custom API for their SoCs. It is also likely to be the API that can get the best performance from the platform (who knows the SoC's features better than Nvidia?). That said, the Switch is Vulkan complaint.

We already know that Cyberpunk 2077 has a Vulkan version anyway, as the game will be releasing on Stadia at some point. Stadia uses Vulkan.

It's also worth noting that Linux has a tiny gaming community, and they can be services using Windows to Linux translation programs. With Cyberpunk 2077 being DRM-free (no DRM or anti-cheat to mess with the translation), I'm sure the Windows version will be able to run on Linux at launch or soon after.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-20, 10:17 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is online now
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,149
I'm guessing the only reason this isn't launching on PC with Vulkan support is down to the RT features needing DX12 ?
__________________
=AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950X + PBO - XFX 5700XT Thicc III Ultra @ 2100/1800=

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-20, 07:26 AM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm surprised a company like them wouldn't have gone to Vulkan. One API to rule them all. Except Xbox but that's because MS. It's probably due to less RT support.

Either way I'm glad they are pushing the envelope. It's time we move on from dx11
The time to move on from DX11 was long time ago. But lack of support on Win7 and consoles made it that no developer was crazy enough to ditch it completely and develop games in DX12 x64 only.

With proper DX12 support and RT, we are on the brink of a revolution in game graphics.
__________________
Turbos on an engine is God's way of telling you it ain't got enough cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-20, 07:49 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
The time to move on from DX11 was long time ago. But lack of support on Win7 and consoles made it that no developer was crazy enough to ditch it completely and develop games in DX12 x64 only.

With proper DX12 support and RT, we are on the brink of a revolution in game graphics.
Then MS should have dropped dx11 support much earlier. They need to keep the ecosystem advancing. We need to fully drop 32bit and dx11. Force people to upgrade or update. For heaven's sake they still default MS office to 32bit installs as an example. It's 2020 and every major architecture in the past 5 years is 64bit.

It's the only good thing Apple does. Keep their ecosystem moving forward. MS should adopt this. Android has this problem too.

Windows 7 gained dx12 a while ago. They should have forced a transition. People need to keep with the times honestly. It's more than just consoles that are holding us back.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.