Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Overclocking

Old 02-01-13, 05:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to kibasnowpaw Send a message via Skype™ to kibasnowpaw
Asus RAMPAGE III BLACK EDITION

Mainboard : Asus RAMPAGE III BLACK EDITION
Chipset : Intel X58
Processor : Intel Core i7 975 @ 3333 MHz (overclock 4.3 Ghz)
Physical Memory : 12288 MB (3 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM ) (1800 Mhz)
Video Card : XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
PSU: XFX Pro 750W

i have my GPU over clock to Core 1030 Mhz and MEM at max 1575 Mhz and no matter what i set the power control sitting on it do the same i feel the problem is the heat when VRM Temp 2 hit 66 C. which is more or less allways 3 C. over the VRM 1 is when i feel like it get unstable and the main Temp is on 60 C. if the main temp get's over 60's then all my Benchmarks are beginning to freeze when runnig them im not sure 100% that it is the temp's but its just look that way

Old 02-01-13, 08:56 PM
OC3D Elite

nice rig you got there...
you could do a bit of work on the cable management
Old 02-01-13, 10:35 PM

The RAM overheating is probably because it doesnt get active cooling,
but only thos little passive heatsinks and the airflof coming through (preheated by the gpu).

Maybe some better heatsinks or more airflow would help?

My Rig in the Gallery!
Old 02-01-13, 11:20 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyze View Post
The RAM overheating is probably because it doesnt get active cooling,
but only thos little passive heatsinks and the airflof coming through (preheated by the gpu).

Maybe some better heatsinks or more airflow would help?
Umm.. I thin I noticed him say VRM, not VRAM which are two totally different things.
VRAM means Video Random Access Memory which is the memory modules on the PCB we all are familiar with and VRM means Voltage Regulator Module, which provides the power to the GPU more or less , depends on how much is needed.
I don't know which one of you is making the confusion but I know that 60C might not be such a high temp for the VRM's ( I have experienced more than 100C without issue ). Can't expect every GPU to work the same though.

If raising the voltage doesn't make any difference in stability anymore, it could mean you have reached the OC limit of your GPU. Sorry...
GFX: Sapphire HD3870x2 857/1053
RAM: 2x2Gb Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHZ 1,65 V
PSU: Inter-Tech SL-700 700W
Old 03-01-13, 01:26 AM

Nice rig, not sure why its crapping out at 60 degrees.
As mentioned try dialling the voltage up a bit or reduce the clock speed by 10-15mhz and maybe the memory clock speed as well.
Old 03-01-13, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonk View Post
Umm.. I thin I noticed him say VRM, not VRAM which are two totally different things.
VRAM means Video Random Access Memory which is the memory modules on the PCB we all are familiar with and VRM means Voltage Regulator Module, which provides the power to the GPU more or less , depends on how much is needed.
I don't know which one of you is making the confusion but I know that 60C might not be such a high temp for the VRM's ( I have experienced more than 100C without issue ). Can't expect every GPU to work the same though.

If raising the voltage doesn't make any difference in stability anymore, it could mean you have reached the OC limit of your GPU. Sorry...
i know 60 C. is not much but it allways around the VRM 60 - 66 .C

but i been looking at my CPU and ether my CPUtin lying or then it get to hot at 100% load because it says it get 100.C on full load but the core is still 50.C but i get water system soon so that may gonna help or i hope etherway if it dont cheace then i may have to bite in the bad side of the apple and get me the Haf X but then i wouldn't have more money left

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
Nice rig, not sure why its crapping out at 60 degrees.
As mentioned try dialling the voltage up a bit or reduce the clock speed by 10-15mhz and maybe the memory clock speed as well.

i have belive me and i don't want the core down i wan't it up and must ppl say there running the 7950 with full setting thats why i wonder why i can't
Old 03-01-13, 06:39 AM

silicone lottery is all. Not every 7950 can run like that. I run mines @ 1010/1375 (stock 7970 settings) right now. I have a crossfire 7950/7970 going. When you start pushing pass this on some 7950s (like the sapphire one I'm not using right now) you need to crank the power setting to max and maybe even bump the mem voltage a little to get it stable. Heat might be a problem when running the card like this though. MSI Afterburner is what I use to OC by the way. You'll need to google how to unlock the voltage settings to overclock a good ways with it though.

Old 03-01-13, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeets View Post
silicone lottery is all. Not every 7950 can run like that. I run mines @ 1010/1375 (stock 7970 settings) right now. I have a crossfire 7950/7970 going. When you start pushing pass this on some 7950s (like the sapphire one I'm not using right now) you need to crank the power setting to max and maybe even bump the mem voltage a little to get it stable. Heat might be a problem when running the card like this though. MSI Afterburner is what I use to OC by the way. You'll need to google how to unlock the voltage settings to overclock a good ways with it though.
thats one thing i been wondering about that the mem voltage i can't chance that it's lock and the power setting is on MAX

okay i just found out that Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 cant use my GPU 100% not like MSI Kombustor 2.4 with the burn in this what it said when i use it look at the VDDC in its alot higer now then before and the VRM temp 2 Was all the way op to 91 .C before it freze