Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-06-12, 01:20 PM

Hello all,

Here is a rather special motherboard. Asus has incorporated two GPU instead of PCI ! The GPUs are a AMD HD 7970 or AMD HD 7870. This motherboard is also equipped with two ports Thunderbolt.

This is only a prototype can be marketed but it never changes a bit from our usual motherboard.

Old 05-06-12, 01:41 PM
OC3D Elite

An interesting concept, but it doesn't look like the GPUs, if fully fledged, would be adequately cooled by a relatively small passive heatsink. Which leads me to think they'd have to be mobile chips...and that's just not right.
Old 05-06-12, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

this is interesting I'm hoping the go full fledged chips remove the little design they have on it and have a built in waterblock. I still think a PCI slot would be nice for a sound card but with ASUS releasing a fairly decent looking external soundcard I can see them pairing it into this motherboard having people go and buy that.

I can see an awesome Bitfenix prodigy build with this little thing front 200mm radiator plus a rad in the roof I'm assuming it's 2011 given the 8 ram slots so a 3930k plus two 7870's would be excellent.

Old 05-06-12, 02:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, a built in waterblock would be cool, but they'd be secluding themselves to a relatively small market. Also; this wouldn't fit in a Prodigy, would it?
Old 05-06-12, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Weston View Post

Yeah, a built in waterblock would be cool, but they'd be secluding themselves to a relatively small market. Also; this wouldn't fit in a Prodigy, would it?
Oh it might not I didn't took a close look at it I thought it was a mITX at first glance I barely look at the picture lol I thinks it is mATX actually, sorry I've been up for quite some time now. As for secluding themselves yeah I suppose they would be secluding themselves but don't you think they're secluding themselves even more by not adding PCI slots? I mean there is zero upgradablity for this at all the chips are in the board and aren't like CPU's where you can plop it out and drop a new one in. And since it is 2011 if you grabbed yourself a 3930k or even a 3820 you're set for a long time with CPU horsepower yet you'll be limited massively by the GPU side and be forced to play on low settings while sitting on a $500 (USD) CPU.

However you're right instead of adding a waterblock maybe they could put a tower style CPU cooler on there with removable 120/140mm fans so the user can decide what fan they'd want to put. While still maintaining the ability to remove the cooler and add a waterblock themselves

EDIT: Defiantly mATX look at the standoff screw holes.

Old 05-06-12, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

I shall be looking out for more news on this, as it's certainly interesting.

I honestly can't see how such a small heatsink is supposed to hold two fully fledged GPUs. We must be looking at underclocked versions here. I don't know about you guys, but when I think ROG, 'underclocked' isn't in the list of related items
Old 05-06-12, 03:34 PM

if Zeus has a AMD gpu then will there be a jupiter with a NVIDIA gpu?

just a thought

Main Rig silent night

Corsair Carbide 500R With custom modded window - MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 - Intel i5-2500K @ 4.8GHz - Mushkin Blackline 8GB - Noctua NH-D14 - NVIDIA EVGA 570 HD - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold 800W - Patriot Pyro 60GB ssd - Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - Vizio 32in tv
Old 05-06-12, 03:53 PM
OC3D Elite

just awesome, great idea and i love the idea of not having to use io plate, at the saem time i cant even image what the price for this beast would be xDD

Unraid: Supermicro X9DRi-f, 2x2670v2, 198GB ECC DDR3 1333mhz (buffered,registered) RAM, 142TB + 1tb nvme raid0 cache, 1050ti for transcoding
Old 05-06-12, 04:02 PM

Personally, I would've much rather have seen this kind of concept on an micro itx board rather than an mATX. Because unless this is really aggressively priced (it won't be. It's RoG) it will probably be cheaper to buy a decent mATX board and a dedicated graphics card...
Old 05-06-12, 04:07 PM

But, I am liking the look of those sATA ports. I'm a big fan of mobos with more than the standard number of sATA ports.

I'm totally loving the black and gold colour scheme though!