Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 05-11-18, 03:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Crappy photo alert..

Tis the pump cover.

Apologies for poor pics, it is literally dark ffs.

Old 06-11-18, 12:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Update. Kinda, sorta.

Firstly it seems like the guy I ordered the acrylic from wants to play silly buggers. He quoted me £15, then sent me an invoice for £18.50 and when I asked WTF he said "For postage and packing". Well, that is not how you quote so I simply said I would go elsewhere. He says OK, he can do it for £15. Now it seems he wants to bust my balls. Which is kinda stupid for him, as I am a bit of a namer and shamer and even more stupid because had he delivered I would have no doubt returned to him for my next project. But ho hum, them's the breaks. You can't stop some one from being stupid you just hand them a rope....

Secondly I also had a bummer with some hardware. I bought a board that was dead (I purposely asked for a dead one as I wanted it for mock ups, but the guy said it was actually working, bar the top PCIE slot. So instead (like an idiot) I planned that into the build as first of all my replacement rig (so I could strip out the one I am sitting on now) and then a NAS/server using the Triad build/case. Sadly it turns out the board is actually dead, and continually reboots/crashes/freezes.

Now at this point I could just strip the desktop but I am getting wiser as I get older. I know if I do that things will take forever (as is the case in the UK when you put work into other people's hands) and I know I would be weeks without my PC. So I'm not doing that.

Thankfully a chum has come to the rescue, and is sending me a board/ram/CPU to use so I can strip out my rig. Very happy about that, top bloke. It will make for a nice NAS, too, when all is said and done.

I have done more wiring, but you would be hard pushed to see most of it. I've now made up all three molex runs from fresh using the pins/plugs supplied with the PSU so that's all good. The AE should land tomorrow and the board etc from my pal, so I should have more than enough to do tomorrow.

What I can't fix, however, is a petulant seller. When I emailed him yesterday (quite politely) to ask for an ETA I got this as a reply.

HI Andrew

I have chased the warehouse and will come back to you a.s.a.p

Thanks

Kind Regards

Which of course he hasn't, because it's probably just some guy with a laser cutter. As I say, just blatant childishness. What sort of company acts like that, deliberately making themselves look bad? is that supposed to fill me with confidence for my next (never) order?

Had the guy been professional there is no doubt I would have done my nuts on buying stuff from him. But that's the attitude of the UK. Seriously, three people said send them dimensions, then never replied. I guess my £15 simply wasn't enough for them to bother about. Which is stupid, because money is money. *sigh*

Old 07-11-18, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

I haz live testbed !

Enormous thanks to Cenedd (G) for donating it after mine was DOA.

Now I need to test a few things and get them bios updated before moving on with the build.

Old 07-11-18, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Why do I see a steering wheel but no time trial entries on our OC3D Project Cars challenges?
Old 07-11-18, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Why do I see a steering wheel but no time trial entries on our OC3D Project Cars challenges?
Because it is for games pre 2001

Old 07-11-18, 02:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Right update time. So after playing with the test bed and testing the Aquaero (it tested out lovely, doesn't look used at all) I moved the test bed into the case. Why? well basically there is so much going on in there that I started to worry about it. Like, so much wiring, so many connections and wire paths etc. I wanted to make sure my wiring was sound before I went any further, so in the test bed goes.

First signs were good. RGB (via the Farbwerk, not connected to USB yet) was alive and so was the case panels. I breathed a big sigh of relief when it started cycling colours.

We're half way there.. Next I connected the single USB wire to the mobo. Now if I have done my job properly everything should connect once that is installed as it runs to two hubs.

OK so I tested the case USBs (working) the SATA power (working obs) and everything else. Played with the Farbwerk and then moved onto the ACC

I also tested the screen power cable etc. It wasn't doing anything before, turns out the Hubbys do not output power until they receive a signal from the board. That was really playing hard on my mind, but it all works as it should.

*PHEW*.

Next thing to do is order a 120gb SSD and clone the OS over, before fitting the test bed into the Triad build. Once that is done and I have a PC I can then start building into the new build next week. I am going to take the weekend off, as too much of it fries my brain (it's just been wiring after wiring after wiring). The only few jobs I have left to do are make a panel to mount the AE on (which I have tested and know is working 100% also, another weight off) and then fit the PA3 and splitty and wire up all of the fans. Which also need to be tested, and then labelled so I know exactly what channel they are on.

I found out earlier they are 1900RPM and man, they do hum some air out. So there is absolutely no chance I am running them all at full steam.

Old 08-11-18, 03:40 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so this is the bit where it all becomes a bit "super car". I will explain what I mean by that. Basically supercars now are made of a mono structure and stuck together so that you can't really do much if they break. Well my AE is going to be the same. If you look at the Farbwerk board here (the small white one) you will see where it resides.

Now the idea here is to stick the AE exactly opposite. The problem is that whilst I can easily get it in there I will have to do so by touch. Once it is stuck in it will be inaccessible. So what to do? well, basically glue on cables and then label them. So whilst there will be no way to see it or get to it I can still connect/remove things from it. I am going to glue on the extensions so that they do not get pulled out accidentally (because like I said no way to see the sockets or access them*) and do it that way. Out of sight etc.

So the first job today was making a mounting panel. I won't bore you with all the details.

So that was that done. Next step draw up labels and make some blanks for anything else I want to label.

All about as interesting as watching paint dry, but alas must be done. I have nearly finished that now.

OK, so I know I said I was only going to use it for the pump. But the thing is the 92mm rear fan and 80mm fan I will be hoping to fit to cool the boards and electronics will not have the same profile when it comes to voltage and noise to voltage. They may need to be driven harder or softer. So the idea now is to use the PA3 to control all 4 of the 120mm fans, and then the AE will be in charge of the pump, 92mm rear fan and 80mm floor fan.

I am going to apply glue later (it's like wet hot glue and can be removed if I wish) and then leave that to set.

Old 09-11-18, 04:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Is that DDC pump going to get any airflow under that little shroud? It looks great and all, but I'd be worried about that pump getting warm.

Old 09-11-18, 08:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Is that DDC pump going to get any airflow under that little shroud? It looks great and all, but I'd be worried about that pump getting warm.
As long as there is airflow. The decoupled feet on the pump house should allow it to breath. Just that water temp may be a couple of degrees warmer.

It's a valid point though. DDC pumps have been known to overheat in the past and then leak like crazy. Once the housing warps, its all downhill from there.

Old 09-11-18, 09:42 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm not using the stock DDC body (which is plastic). I'm using the EK kit that comes with a metal (finned body) and heat pads etc. There's plenty of room around it. If you think about it I have only covered the top (won't make any difference given the pump top is plastic) and the side which would not get air flow any way. The left and right sides of it when fitted are not coverered. Oh, and it doesn't reach the floor at the front either (deliberate, I didn't want it rattling) so air can move around it yes

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-wa...wc-484-ek.html

That's it there. I was advised immediately to get one, so did