Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 07-11-18, 06:23 PM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,212
cheers

__________________
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-18, 06:48 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
cheers
No worries. I have been told to avoid 14mm hard tubing as it's a complete sod to bend. Which did I buy? yup, 14mm. I won't be using that now any way.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-11-18, 09:13 PM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
No worries. I have been told to avoid 14mm hard tubing as it's a complete sod to bend. Which did I buy? yup, 14mm. I won't be using that now any way.
Thicker wall tubes are easier to bend. Thinner wall ones very easy deform, making it harder to have clean bends.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-11-18, 07:57 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Can a fitting be used for hard and soft tubing?
Only rotataries, and redirectional blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Thicker wall tubes are easier to bend. Thinner wall ones very easy deform, making it harder to have clean bends.
What he said. I found my larger tubes much better and easier for bending. And overall better looking to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-11-18, 11:03 AM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,212
I have no idea what size I should go for or soft or hard tube.
It is hoped I can finally get a loop done in the new year but finance restricts me to really cheap deals, offers so far I have a Res from China and an AM3 XSPC cpu block that I need to drill for AM4.
__________________
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-11-18, 11:11 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I have no idea what size I should go for or soft or hard tube.
It is hoped I can finally get a loop done in the new year but finance restricts me to really cheap deals, offers so far I have a Res from China and an AM3 XSPC cpu block that I need to drill for AM4.
Well it comes down to the fittings. Companies are being cheeky now and making custom diameters meaning if you buy their fittings, you can only get the tubes to fit, directly from them. Or vice versa.

BP and EKWB however have very generic sizes. So I would suggest (for both hard and soft tube) opting for a 10/12mm or 12/16mm

i believe most manufacturers support these fittings also. Especially AlphaCool, and Barrow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-11-18, 12:23 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Thicker wall tubes are easier to bend. Thinner wall ones very easy deform, making it harder to have clean bends.
Well that is what the "noodles" are for apparently. 14mm requires more heat, meaning it can blister and bubble etc.

Either way? tbh? if he is doing this on a budget he can absolutely forget hard line, and I will tell you why. It will cost him £100 to get set up before he even buys a single fitting or piece of tube. The correct (heat controlled) heat gun isn't cheap, and a radius kit will cost £50 or so. Then you need a de-burring tool (only about £6 but you still need it) and so on.

That is mainly why I am not using that hard line tubing in mine. Oh and a good cutter too costs a few quid.

All you need with soft tubing is a good cutter. A proper hose cutter. Mine was about a tenner, IIRC.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-11-18, 01:16 PM
RobM's Avatar
RobM RobM is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,212
I have spotted a few D5 pumps on the bay hoping they do not go the usual way out of reach, fingers crossed.
Not fussed on tubing just yet, if I go hardline I have a heat gun and enough tools to get the job done in the garage, no need for special radius blocks as intent to eyeball all of it.
Most probably I will flex first and also have a correct cutter, well the wife does as she is a trained plumber, hell I might even go copper tube lol
__________________
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-11-18, 01:31 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Well that is what the "noodles" are for apparently. 14mm requires more heat, meaning it can blister and bubble etc.

Either way? tbh? if he is doing this on a budget he can absolutely forget hard line, and I will tell you why. It will cost him £100 to get set up before he even buys a single fitting or piece of tube. The correct (heat controlled) heat gun isn't cheap, and a radius kit will cost £50 or so. Then you need a de-burring tool (only about £6 but you still need it) and so on.

That is mainly why I am not using that hard line tubing in mine. Oh and a good cutter too costs a few quid.

All you need with soft tubing is a good cutter. A proper hose cutter. Mine was about a tenner, IIRC.
Yep Hardline is not for the budget oriented person. And to be honest Soft tubing can actually look far nicer than Hardline in some projects. I would say soft tubing starter kits like that which EKWB supply are good go to points. You can expand from there then. Cost wise they aren't too bad.

But don't get what you mean by 14mm needs more heat. Its the same material, so has same melting point. 10/12mm will bubble and blister just as much as the 12/16mm. Unless you mean 14mm requires longer time to warm?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-11-18, 03:14 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Yep Hardline is not for the budget oriented person. And to be honest Soft tubing can actually look far nicer than Hardline in some projects. I would say soft tubing starter kits like that which EKWB supply are good go to points. You can expand from there then. Cost wise they aren't too bad.

But don't get what you mean by 14mm needs more heat. Its the same material, so has same melting point. 10/12mm will bubble and blister just as much as the 12/16mm. Unless you mean 14mm requires longer time to warm?
The walls are thicker, right? sure that's what I was told...
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.