Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 07-11-18, 06:23 PM
OC3D Elite

cheers

ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 07-11-18, 06:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
cheers
No worries. I have been told to avoid 14mm hard tubing as it's a complete sod to bend. Which did I buy? yup, 14mm. I won't be using that now any way.

Old 07-11-18, 09:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
No worries. I have been told to avoid 14mm hard tubing as it's a complete sod to bend. Which did I buy? yup, 14mm. I won't be using that now any way.
Thicker wall tubes are easier to bend. Thinner wall ones very easy deform, making it harder to have clean bends.
Old 08-11-18, 07:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Can a fitting be used for hard and soft tubing?
Only rotataries, and redirectional blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Thicker wall tubes are easier to bend. Thinner wall ones very easy deform, making it harder to have clean bends.
What he said. I found my larger tubes much better and easier for bending. And overall better looking to me.
Old 08-11-18, 11:03 AM
OC3D Elite

I have no idea what size I should go for or soft or hard tube.
It is hoped I can finally get a loop done in the new year but finance restricts me to really cheap deals, offers so far I have a Res from China and an AM3 XSPC cpu block that I need to drill for AM4.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 08-11-18, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I have no idea what size I should go for or soft or hard tube.
It is hoped I can finally get a loop done in the new year but finance restricts me to really cheap deals, offers so far I have a Res from China and an AM3 XSPC cpu block that I need to drill for AM4.
Well it comes down to the fittings. Companies are being cheeky now and making custom diameters meaning if you buy their fittings, you can only get the tubes to fit, directly from them. Or vice versa.

BP and EKWB however have very generic sizes. So I would suggest (for both hard and soft tube) opting for a 10/12mm or 12/16mm

i believe most manufacturers support these fittings also. Especially AlphaCool, and Barrow.
Old 08-11-18, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Well that is what the "noodles" are for apparently. 14mm requires more heat, meaning it can blister and bubble etc.

Either way? tbh? if he is doing this on a budget he can absolutely forget hard line, and I will tell you why. It will cost him £100 to get set up before he even buys a single fitting or piece of tube. The correct (heat controlled) heat gun isn't cheap, and a radius kit will cost £50 or so. Then you need a de-burring tool (only about £6 but you still need it) and so on.

That is mainly why I am not using that hard line tubing in mine. Oh and a good cutter too costs a few quid.

All you need with soft tubing is a good cutter. A proper hose cutter. Mine was about a tenner, IIRC.

Old 08-11-18, 01:16 PM
OC3D Elite

I have spotted a few D5 pumps on the bay hoping they do not go the usual way out of reach, fingers crossed.
Not fussed on tubing just yet, if I go hardline I have a heat gun and enough tools to get the job done in the garage, no need for special radius blocks as intent to eyeball all of it.
Most probably I will flex first and also have a correct cutter, well the wife does as she is a trained plumber, hell I might even go copper tube lol
Old 08-11-18, 01:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Well that is what the "noodles" are for apparently. 14mm requires more heat, meaning it can blister and bubble etc.

Either way? tbh? if he is doing this on a budget he can absolutely forget hard line, and I will tell you why. It will cost him £100 to get set up before he even buys a single fitting or piece of tube. The correct (heat controlled) heat gun isn't cheap, and a radius kit will cost £50 or so. Then you need a de-burring tool (only about £6 but you still need it) and so on.

That is mainly why I am not using that hard line tubing in mine. Oh and a good cutter too costs a few quid.

All you need with soft tubing is a good cutter. A proper hose cutter. Mine was about a tenner, IIRC.
Yep Hardline is not for the budget oriented person. And to be honest Soft tubing can actually look far nicer than Hardline in some projects. I would say soft tubing starter kits like that which EKWB supply are good go to points. You can expand from there then. Cost wise they aren't too bad.

But don't get what you mean by 14mm needs more heat. Its the same material, so has same melting point. 10/12mm will bubble and blister just as much as the 12/16mm. Unless you mean 14mm requires longer time to warm?
Old 08-11-18, 03:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Yep Hardline is not for the budget oriented person. And to be honest Soft tubing can actually look far nicer than Hardline in some projects. I would say soft tubing starter kits like that which EKWB supply are good go to points. You can expand from there then. Cost wise they aren't too bad.

But don't get what you mean by 14mm needs more heat. Its the same material, so has same melting point. 10/12mm will bubble and blister just as much as the 12/16mm. Unless you mean 14mm requires longer time to warm?
The walls are thicker, right? sure that's what I was told...