Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Aquatuning Customer Care

Old 22-02-18, 07:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It will also depend on the coolant you use and etc. Now? I leave my res cap off for a few hours. Just to make sure there are no bubbles, because obviously if you purge them into air space that is already full you are going to create pressure. More than just normal pressure. Wait until all of the air is purged, it's had a chance to expand and contract and then put the cap on.
Yeah that's a reasonable thing to do. Makes sense to get all the bubbles out before closing the loop. But having to put some kind of valve in seems unnecessary. I think there's a reason EK (the biggest pc watercooling manufacturer I think?) doesn't have them in their resevoirs.

Old 22-02-18, 07:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadShadow View Post
Yeah that's a reasonable thing to do. Makes sense to get all the bubbles out before closing the loop. But having to put some kind of valve in seems unnecessary. I think there's a reason EK (the biggest pc watercooling manufacturer I think?) doesn't have them in their resevoirs.
The valve is not really a valve. It's a hole, with a thinner piece of acrylic at the bottom. IE - before anything explodes etc the plastic bit will pop and let the air out. None of mine have done that yet, but then as I said I do run the loop for a whole day before putting the cap on.

It's kinda like safety glass. IE "Smash here to set alarm" thing.

Old 22-02-18, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My (you guessed it) Alphacool bay res leaked all over the place. From the top cap.. I never knew, because it was hidden under another res but when I did some maintenance on it last year there was red powdery residue all over the top of the res. Problem with bay res is that you can't put in a pressure valve because there is nowhere to put one where it would not just squirt fluid out.

That was cooling a stock Fury X. Nothing else in the loop, monster 120 rad about 70mm thick.

It will also depend on the coolant you use and etc. Now? I leave my res cap off for a few hours. Just to make sure there are no bubbles, because obviously if you purge them into air space that is already full you are going to create pressure. More than just normal pressure. Wait until all of the air is purged, it's had a chance to expand and contract and then put the cap on.
6 this is what I do, purge it and recap it. Never had an issue before. I'd had the system running happily for over a week before this happened, bleeding regularly
Old 22-02-18, 08:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Wow, I just got home from work and saw the pics. Those SLI connectors look god awful! PUSH connectors, REALLY?!?!? WTF Alphacool?!?! Hope nothing died lady.

Old 22-02-18, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Wow, I just got home from work and saw the pics. Those SLI connectors look god awful! PUSH connectors, REALLY?!?!? WTF Alphacool?!?! Hope nothing died lady.
I doubted it from the start, but hadn't heard anything bad online. Plus alphacool was the only block I could get for these 970s.

I've e stripped everything now an left it to dry. So fingers crossed it will work again at some point.
Old 22-02-18, 09:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post
I doubted it from the start, but hadn't heard anything bad online. Plus alphacool was the only block I could get for these 970s.

I've e stripped everything now an left it to dry. So fingers crossed it will work again at some point.
watercool.de has everything for reference design. They have everything in stock, and they are benchmark for quality. It might be useful in the future.
Old 22-02-18, 09:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post

Alphacool are Phobya in disguise. IE they sell cheap crap parts from the same OEM, put an alpha logo on them and then try and compete with the real big boys (watercool,aquacomputer,XSPC,Monsoon and Bitspower.)

However, just looking at Alphacool parts, to me, says it all.

Nothing annoys me more than a company who uses the "made in Germany" moniker to make themselves sound better.

You want real Made in Germany? Watercool and Aquacomputer. My XP block may not look all that but I promise you, once you actually get it in your hands and compare it to an EK you really can appreciate true German engineering.

I've only ever bought two alpha products, two DCLT pumps because they are small and convinient. However, even one of those failed because there is no 'anti tug' on the pump wires at all and the yellow signal cable snapped off, bridging the + and - frying £150 worth of gear on the same Molex run.

I wasn't very happy us putting it mildly.

Oh, and any company that makes parts with cheap looking matt finish is hiding something.

Old 23-02-18, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
watercool.de has everything for reference design. They have everything in stock, and they are benchmark for quality. It might be useful in the future.
Thanks, i'll look in to them. There's no way i'll continue to use these block now, even if the cards aren't dead.
Old 23-02-18, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Alphacool are Phobya in disguise. IE they sell cheap crap parts from the same OEM, put an alpha logo on them and then try and compete with the real big boys (watercool,aquacomputer,XSPC,Monsoon and Bitspower.)

However, just looking at Alphacool parts, to me, says it all.

Nothing annoys me more than a company who uses the "made in Germany" moniker to make themselves sound better.

You want real Made in Germany? Watercool and Aquacomputer. My XP block may not look all that but I promise you, once you actually get it in your hands and compare it to an EK you really can appreciate true German engineering.

I've only ever bought two alpha products, two DCLT pumps because they are small and convinient. However, even one of those failed because there is no 'anti tug' on the pump wires at all and the yellow signal cable snapped off, bridging the + and - frying £150 worth of gear on the same Molex run.

I wasn't very happy us putting it mildly.

Oh, and any company that makes parts with cheap looking matt finish is hiding something.
This is the first time i've had any issues with alphacool gear, but Like i've already said, it's big enough of an issue that I certainly won't be using them again. The Aquacomputer and XSPC gear i've used in the past have always been solid.
Heard back from them on facebook, just got a 'very sorry, never seen this happen before, not sure how to deal with this'
Old 23-02-18, 10:34 AM
OC3D Elite

ack that sucks big time Lucy, fingers crossed the parts still work for you
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro