Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 13-02-18, 07:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
And yet you site another rumor. So maybe it does indeed take one because so far nobody has any source.
It's hardly a rumour. There are no 1080Tis and the very few there are left are stupid money. Like I said, it's not hard to figure out. Scan are charing £900+ for the few they have left. It's turn and burn. The more you have to turn the more you can burn meaning you can sell them for less and still make the same gross profit. When numbers are fewer you up the price so that even if you only sell half you still make the same gross profit.

Some people have said it is greed, gouging etc but these companies need to stay in business. So you use simple economics to figure it out. Sure, it may sound like Scan are making huge sums of money but they would make just as much selling loads of cards art a lower price.

Just had a further poke through Scan and it seems most of them are overdue since last December or 2nd of Jan. Now unless Nvidia are completely incompetent there has to be a reason for that.

Scan will know. So will OCUK and etc. And that is why they are charging a king's ransom for what they have left.

Old 13-02-18, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe it's time to move on my slightly used 1070oc strix cards in preparation for something new
Old 13-02-18, 07:33 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's hardly a rumour. There are no 1080Tis and the very few there are left are stupid money. Like I said, it's not hard to figure out. Scan are charing £900+ for the few they have left. It's turn and burn. The more you have to turn the more you can burn meaning you can sell them for less and still make the same gross profit. When numbers are fewer you up the price so that even if you only sell half you still make the same gross profit.

Some people have said it is greed, gouging etc but these companies need to stay in business. So you use simple economics to figure it out. Sure, it may sound like Scan are making huge sums of money but they would make just as much selling loads of cards art a lower price.

Just had a further poke through Scan and it seems most of them are overdue since last December or 2nd of Jan. Now unless Nvidia are completely incompetent there has to be a reason for that.

Scan will know. So will OCUK and etc. And that is why they are charging a king's ransom for what they have left.
You always have a long answer for everything don't you?

The reason they are so few is because everything is running on a shortage. Really not difficult to figure out. If you even bothered to read anything Nvidia is trying to increase supply as much as possible. So you going to believe your rumor or the fact that Nvidia is increasing supply?
Old 13-02-18, 08:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Reuters isn't bad but it's just the fact that this rumor has spread so far that everybody is just following along because if everybody is doing it it must be true.
Indeed, there is no real listed source and everyone is banging on that single outing - me included; I am equally guilty, because I'm so very eager, admittedly.

Quote:

The reason they are so few is because everything is running on a shortage. Really not difficult to figure out. If you even bothered to read anything Nvidia is trying to increase supply as much as possible. So you going to believe your rumor or the fact that Nvidia is increasing supply?
I would like to suggest a third option: Nvidia have now twice said that they will try and work the shortage because maybe 1) they have to say something, or maybe 2) they didn't say which architecture/family they are currently producing (might as well be the new one, I'm reaching, I'm aware).

I also think that the shortage is twofold: cryptocurrency miners and Pascal EOL. It makes the most sense to me.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64
Old 13-02-18, 08:24 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Indeed, there is no real listed source and everyone is banging on that single outing - me included; I am equally guilty, because I'm so very eager, admittedly.

I would like to suggest a third option: Nvidia have now twice said that they will try and work the shortage because maybe 1) they have to say something, or maybe 2) they didn't say which architecture/family they are currently producing (might as well be the new one, I'm reaching, I'm aware).

I also think that the shortage is twofold: cryptocurrency miners and Pascal EOL. It makes the most sense to me.
Why would Nvidia increase production of a generation of cards that aren't out nor announced yet to gamers? They have already said they have increased supply as much as possible but memory supply is next to none. They have cards sitting waiting for memory shipments. That is what is causing the delay.

It's widely known memory is the culprit here. Miners aren't at fault but they sure didn't help deplete the supply faster and now we have a situation where miners and gamers are fighting over supply. That is what is going on.

If Nvidia don't have GDDR6 on their next cards then that eats into supply too. So if they come out within the next few months we are still going to have extremely low supply, so whether you agree with me or not it makes no difference. Memory will still be the issue.
Old 13-02-18, 08:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

I don't believe the rumour I believe what my eyes can see. When a large UK supplier lists items as end of life it generally means, you know dude? end of life. IE - there are no more, the well is dry.

If you don't believe Nvidia have the capability to ramp up production enough to flood stores with stock then I can't help you with that. Let's just say they are a mega multi million dollar company and so if they are not capable of that they would be a laughing stock. The fact that they are clearly not also speaks volumes.

The "rumour" about TSMC has nothing to do with my own findings from simply looking around with my own eyes. That only came up today, please feel free to go back and read my posts over the past few weeks.

Why aren't EVGA fulfilling an expected order from Jan 2nd?

Why are their cards six weeks overdue? Mining has not affected the sales of 1080Ti or Titan Xp. Miners do not buy those cards. They are too expensive for the turnover.

Seriously, do you really mean to tell me Nvidia can't cope? that a multi million dollar per year company can't make enough GPUs? really?

There was no shortage of them before Christmas. There were loads, everywhere. As soon as Christmas ends stock dries up and is not replenished. So like I said elsewhere, either Jen is having a meltdown and wants to commit financial suicide or he is busy working on something else. EDIT TO ADD. There was also that very well timed message from Jen saying something along the lines of "Pascal is here for a while yet" or whatever it was. But that was basically a salesman speech saying "Hey, we're EOLing Pascal soon so I am just saying that so that we sell a s**t load of cards over Xmas. As I said then, why say it? why say anything? because he wanted to manipulate. That is what corporations do. They lie, double bluff and etc all of the time.

Not rocket science.

Quote:
Yes, yes I do. I am autistic. Thus, it takes a long time for me to explain things to neurotypicals like you with absolutely no patience.

Old 13-02-18, 08:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Why would Nvidia increase production of a generation of cards that aren't out nor announced yet to gamers? They have already said they have increased supply as much as possible but memory supply is next to none. They have cards sitting waiting for memory shipments. That is what is causing the delay.

It's widely known memory is the culprit here. Miners aren't at fault but they sure didn't help deplete the supply faster and now we have a situation where miners and gamers are fighting over supply. That is what is going on.

If Nvidia don't have GDDR6 on their next cards then that eats into supply too. So if they come out within the next few months we are still going to have extremely low supply, so whether you agree with me or not it makes no difference. Memory will still be the issue.
That would tie in with my point 1: they are just saying something without actually doing it because they have the next gen right around the corner: they're buying time and patience. I don't believe for a moment that they have any desire to produce more Pascal.

Forgot about the memory shortage, to me that's a third variable to the shortage.

Surely they'll have GDDR6 on the next cards. They'd be foolish not to.
Old 13-02-18, 08:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
That would tie in with my point 1: they are just saying something without actually doing it because they have the next gen right around the corner: they're buying time and patience. I don't believe for a moment that they have any desire to produce more Pascal.

Forgot about the memory shortage, to me that's a third variable to the shortage.

Surely they'll have GDDR6 on the next cards. They'd be foolish not to.
That's another thing. Materials. They can't just buy what they think they need, they need to buy in serious bulk (things like the PCBs and so on).

You can usually actually work it out by looking at orders placed (that is how AMD let the cat out of the bag by ordering like two custom PCBs lol). Then we knew Vega was in production.

Old 13-02-18, 10:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Seriously, do you really mean to tell me Nvidia can't cope? that a multi million dollar per year company can't make enough GPUs? really?

There was no shortage of them before Christmas. There were loads, everywhere.Not rocket science.

Yes, yes I do. I am autistic. Thus, it takes a long time for me to explain things to neurotypicals like you with absolutely no patience.
It's not Nvidia that cannot cope. It's memory suppliers. So clearly it is rocket science because you obviosuly have failed to read what I have said. AMD are having this problem as well. It's MEMORY.

As for your comment about Xmas, that's wrong. There were still high prices and little stock. How do I know this? Because I was helping family buy parts for Xmas.

I have patience. I read tons of text everyday. However you consistently post long essays which is fine but 90% of it is repeating and you seem to ALWAYS somehow have an answer and "life example" of everything that ever comes up. It's just the same thing over and over.
You complain about Dice and his societal views and you think that's okay to do because he always talks about it. It's what I am doing to you. It's funny to see how angry you get when you get a taste of it isn't it? You bring up your autism which is irrelevant to this conversation in order to make me look bad and then throw an insult because it's somehow justified. BTW don't care if your autistic or not, you're still a person, it has no change of my opinion of you.

Please do not reply. We are done here. This isn't going anywhere. PM if you'd like but seriously let's drop it.
Old 14-02-18, 12:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Say the rumour is true and new gen cards come out April, how long after would the xx80 Ti version typically be? They're usually quite a few months after launch aren't they? Might be ready to replace my 980s by Christmas