Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-03-20, 03:18 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,680
Valve sees Half-Life: Alyx as a "return" to the series - Half-Life 3 confirmed?

Valve has plans for Half-Life after Alyx.



Read more about Valve seeing Half-Life: Alyx as a "return" to the series.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-03-20, 03:28 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 13,949
Well they have their new Source 2 Engine, I'm guessing they are seeing how much attention this title gets before they do anything else.
__________________
=AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950X @ 4.20GHz - AMD RX 5700XT @ 2100/1800=

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-20, 03:58 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,606
Take my money!

I'm so looking forward to playing Half-Life:Alyx, but I'd love to see HL3.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-20, 05:18 PM
Damien c Damien c is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North West UK
Posts: 1,538
Half Life 3 will never live up to the expectation of the fan base, it will be another Duke Nukem Forever to some but to others it will be great regardless of how it turns out.
__________________
Gaming PC: AMD 3950X, 32GB Corsiar DDR4, MSI 2080Ti, WS Black 1TB NVME

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-20, 07:04 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Half Life 3 will never live up to the expectation of the fan base, it will be another Duke Nukem Forever to some but to others it will be great regardless of how it turns out.
Nah I don't think that will be the case. Every one got blue balls waiting for HL2 and they delivered.

That took almost ten? years? something like that. Or maybe 7 or so.

The problem with Duke was they kept binning it and starting from zero, without watching the costs. They thought they could live off of their games forever and just keep on taking as long as they liked. Everything is finite, as they found out.

Any way, I liked DNF. Like, really liked it enough to play through (and the excellent DLC) twice.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-20, 07:41 PM
Dark NighT's Avatar
Dark NighT Dark NighT is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nah I don't think that will be the case. Every one got blue balls waiting for HL2 and they delivered.

That took almost ten? years? something like that. Or maybe 7 or so.

The problem with Duke was they kept binning it and starting from zero, without watching the costs. They thought they could live off of their games forever and just keep on taking as long as they liked. Everything is finite, as they found out.

Any way, I liked DNF. Like, really liked it enough to play through (and the excellent DLC) twice.

It's been since the summer of 2007 that they left us with that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2, 13 years of silence and abandonment of the series untill now.
__________________
Rig: Cpu: AMD R7 3700X. Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 wifi. Ram: Gskill Royal Silver 3200mhz cl16: Gpu: Msi RTX2070 Armor. Asus Xonar STX II.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-20, 08:04 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
It's been since the summer of 2007 that they left us with that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2, 13 years of silence and abandonment of the series untill now.
That's because they've been doing anything but making games.

No l4d3, no Portal 3 etc. I mean what can we do? Wait.

It's clear they're deep into the vr thing and HL alyx but after Epic bringing them down a peg it wouldn't surprise me that they were going to need to bring their big earners out again.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-20, 09:48 PM
Dark NighT's Avatar
Dark NighT Dark NighT is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,847
Yeah i've always hated how Valve went from making awesome, great games to swinging to the other side, putting in lootcrates in tf2 and went downhill from there, sitting on their laurels and everyone praising Gabe for doing it, thank god that time passed now and most people don't perceive Valve as anything as holy anymore but still its there at times.


I want them to produce proper games again, they have the talent, the direction if they really want to do it, but i guess linear games like that are far from interesting these days in the public view.
__________________
Rig: Cpu: AMD R7 3700X. Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 wifi. Ram: Gskill Royal Silver 3200mhz cl16: Gpu: Msi RTX2070 Armor. Asus Xonar STX II.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-20, 10:09 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Yeah i've always hated how Valve went from making awesome, great games to swinging to the other side, putting in lootcrates in tf2 and went downhill from there, sitting on their laurels and everyone praising Gabe for doing it, thank god that time passed now and most people don't perceive Valve as anything as holy anymore but still its there at times.


I want them to produce proper games again, they have the talent, the direction if they really want to do it, but i guess linear games like that are far from interesting these days in the public view.
It happens to all of them sadly. They come up the ranks, then turn into a corporation and then that's it. It all becomes about making money, not great games, for the investors in the shares.

If you want another example look at Bethesda. Dear god.

But yeah, after many failures for Valve (steam controller, Steam link, Steam OS, Steam PC etc) they may well need to go back to their roots. Steam as a storefront is no longer the monopoly and it's been shown that many want to pee in their bucket. To the point of it being ridiculous now (Though I don't really care as long as it drives prices down).

Maybe Epic was the kick in the pants they needed. I can't see VR taking off any time soon (it hasn't already) and most who wanted it already have it gathering dust. I've used my PS headset twice. It's great, but I just CBA with all of the nuisance.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.