Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-03-20, 03:18 PM
News Guru

Valve sees Half-Life: Alyx as a "return" to the series - Half-Life 3 confirmed?

Valve has plans for Half-Life after Alyx.

Read more about Valve seeing Half-Life: Alyx as a "return" to the series.

Old 04-03-20, 03:28 PM
Resident Newb

Well they have their new Source 2 Engine, I'm guessing they are seeing how much attention this title gets before they do anything else.

Old 04-03-20, 03:58 PM

Take my money!

I'm so looking forward to playing Half-Life:Alyx, but I'd love to see HL3.

Old 04-03-20, 05:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Half Life 3 will never live up to the expectation of the fan base, it will be another Duke Nukem Forever to some but to others it will be great regardless of how it turns out.

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Old 04-03-20, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Half Life 3 will never live up to the expectation of the fan base, it will be another Duke Nukem Forever to some but to others it will be great regardless of how it turns out.
Nah I don't think that will be the case. Every one got blue balls waiting for HL2 and they delivered.

That took almost ten? years? something like that. Or maybe 7 or so.

The problem with Duke was they kept binning it and starting from zero, without watching the costs. They thought they could live off of their games forever and just keep on taking as long as they liked. Everything is finite, as they found out.

Any way, I liked DNF. Like, really liked it enough to play through (and the excellent DLC) twice.

Old 04-03-20, 07:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nah I don't think that will be the case. Every one got blue balls waiting for HL2 and they delivered.

That took almost ten? years? something like that. Or maybe 7 or so.

The problem with Duke was they kept binning it and starting from zero, without watching the costs. They thought they could live off of their games forever and just keep on taking as long as they liked. Everything is finite, as they found out.

Any way, I liked DNF. Like, really liked it enough to play through (and the excellent DLC) twice.

It's been since the summer of 2007 that they left us with that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2, 13 years of silence and abandonment of the series untill now.
Old 04-03-20, 08:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
It's been since the summer of 2007 that they left us with that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2, 13 years of silence and abandonment of the series untill now.
That's because they've been doing anything but making games.

No l4d3, no Portal 3 etc. I mean what can we do? Wait.

It's clear they're deep into the vr thing and HL alyx but after Epic bringing them down a peg it wouldn't surprise me that they were going to need to bring their big earners out again.

Old 04-03-20, 09:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah i've always hated how Valve went from making awesome, great games to swinging to the other side, putting in lootcrates in tf2 and went downhill from there, sitting on their laurels and everyone praising Gabe for doing it, thank god that time passed now and most people don't perceive Valve as anything as holy anymore but still its there at times.

I want them to produce proper games again, they have the talent, the direction if they really want to do it, but i guess linear games like that are far from interesting these days in the public view.
Old 04-03-20, 10:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Yeah i've always hated how Valve went from making awesome, great games to swinging to the other side, putting in lootcrates in tf2 and went downhill from there, sitting on their laurels and everyone praising Gabe for doing it, thank god that time passed now and most people don't perceive Valve as anything as holy anymore but still its there at times.

I want them to produce proper games again, they have the talent, the direction if they really want to do it, but i guess linear games like that are far from interesting these days in the public view.
It happens to all of them sadly. They come up the ranks, then turn into a corporation and then that's it. It all becomes about making money, not great games, for the investors in the shares.

If you want another example look at Bethesda. Dear god.

But yeah, after many failures for Valve (steam controller, Steam link, Steam OS, Steam PC etc) they may well need to go back to their roots. Steam as a storefront is no longer the monopoly and it's been shown that many want to pee in their bucket. To the point of it being ridiculous now (Though I don't really care as long as it drives prices down).

Maybe Epic was the kick in the pants they needed. I can't see VR taking off any time soon (it hasn't already) and most who wanted it already have it gathering dust. I've used my PS headset twice. It's great, but I just CBA with all of the nuisance.