Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-04-17, 10:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Chrazey - like the actual electronics and exactly how computers actually work overclocking is sort of the same. Any one can shove up a multi and volts. And usually that's all you need to do because Intel made it that way. However true knowledge of overclocking is incredibly deep and really should not be attempted unless you know what you are doing, and what everything you are touching does.

Otherwise you pull a Jayz and blow up your AMD CPU /actual roll eyes.

It's not something easy to explain because most of it whooshes over people's heads. It's like trying to explain rocket science to somebody who has no interest in science.

Hence it's easier to go to YouTube and up your multi and volts lol.
Right... Well I assume that my explanation of how I see it kinda went a bit overboard. I didn't really mean it like the deep deep end of things. But mostly just a more in depth one of how you do it. And if you do this, this might happen. And if you do that, that might happen etc etc.

To me, overclocking just seems very much more riskable of damaging something than to build a PC. If you get what I mean here?...

Old 18-04-17, 11:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Right... Well I assume that my explanation of how I see it kinda went a bit overboard. I didn't really mean it like the deep deep end of things. But mostly just a more in depth one of how you do it. And if you do this, this might happen. And if you do that, that might happen etc etc.

To me, overclocking just seems very much more riskable of damaging something than to build a PC. If you get what I mean here?...
Yup. And that's pretty much why on most modern CPUs Intel have locked most of it down so that all you need to do is up the multi and volts. You shouldn't really be able to do much damage using just those two, all you need to really do is Google for "max safe voltage {insert CPU here}" and you're laughing.

That's why Jay blew up an AMD chip, because there is far more to it than that on AM3.

Go to X99 though? LLC, ring voltage etc etc. It's nuts.

I'm all for easy overclocking myself. Most of us are paying for it whether we want it or not so everyone should be able to benefit from it

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 18-04-17, 12:55 PM

Someone else can maybe recommend you tutorial. I am so long in overclocking that i never bothered with tutorials. I just dig up voltage values, and crack on. Tom was mentioning that he is planning indepth overclocking guide for some time, but i assume that he is buried in reviews so deep that he can't find the time.
Old 18-04-17, 01:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Overclocking my 970 past 1500Mhz often resulted in lower scores as well. 1525Mhz was about the max before degradation.
Old 18-04-17, 03:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Overclocking my 970 past 1500Mhz often resulted in lower scores as well. 1525Mhz was about the max before degradation.
I think it's the memory controller that craps out tbh. It can't handle the same sort of frequency that the core itself can.

Old 18-04-17, 03:14 PM
OC3D Elite

My memory couldn't overclock very high. 7600Mhz was the max while most were able to achieve 7800Mhz or more. I'm not sure if the memory controller is tied to clock speeds.
Old 18-04-17, 03:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
My memory couldn't overclock very high. 7600Mhz was the max while most were able to achieve 7800Mhz or more. I'm not sure if the memory controller is tied to clock speeds.
It's IIRC the controller is on the die now. I could have that wrong though. It used to be separate on older cards though..

My Titan X memory ocs like a beast. Don't push it that hard though which is why I think Kilbane has done me by a few points in Super Whatsit.