Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > NZXT Forum

Old 19-04-17, 03:11 PM

NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan spinnung up and down when starting intensive application

Everything is fine on the Desktop. I can control each of my 5 fans individually. Set them to 0%, 20%,30%, 100% ... everything no problem.

But as soon as I start a game the fans spin up, then back down, then up again... even if I have them set to fixed speed. When I start Prime95 they do the same.
It seems like the Grid adjusts fanspeed based on CPU/GPU usage.

The fans are Corsair SP120 RGB.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 19-04-17, 10:46 PM
OC3D Elite

How much are they surging? is it consistent? I had that problem on my old NZXT fan controller (Recon?) with SP120 (original version) but since changing to the GRID+ V2 and the RGB's in my 460X It's much less noticeable. I run 6 fans off the GRID and all are connected to the Corsair RGB controller

I find that from time to time I have to go in and set them to manual again. Also to make sure all fans are on the same profile.

I have two profiles - silent and Gaming. Gaming is linked to the GPU temp as my CPU doesn't get too volatile. Silent is a fixed speed. To be honest I rarely use silent as the fan profile is so low with the GPU under 60 degrees and the gaming profile works so well.

I have the same fans as you but I've noticed sometimes they don't seem to be doing exactly what I expect. I think it's because they're voltage controlled and not PWM so its probably the power delivery fluctuating. If I watch CAM the voltage changes quite regularly even on idle. Don't forget the RGB fans have the RGB controller as well so that may also affect the voltage.

TL;DR = could be the fans. Could be the GRID+ If it's super annoying try some other fans to work out which one is the culprit.

Old 20-04-17, 10:30 AM

I just found out that they don't do that with their speed set to above 40%.

What I did now is just set all the fans to 30% when Idling and then the 3 fans infront of Radiators to 70% and the other two to 40% when gaming.
Is there some fast way to switch profiles, like there is in Corsair Link? lol

The fans are super quiet.... When idling I can hear my 980Ti Hybrids pump and my HDD and H100i GTXs pump and some other sound (that I believe might be coming from the PSU?) over the fans.
Old 20-04-17, 10:26 PM

This problem is so random. Now it even happens at 50% sometimes. I have to set the fans to a higher speed and then to a lower speed for it to work properly. WTF.
Old 21-04-17, 12:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Have you got any other fans laying around? I'd try some to see whether it's the GRID that's causing the issues or the fans. Also try disconnecting the lighting controller.

Launch the game a few times and see whether the fans can stay a constant speed.
If it's the GRID then you may want to lodge a support ticket for an RMA.

edit - oh and I take it you've tried reinstalling CAM and it's the latest version? None of them are plugged into a motherboard header?