Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 06-01-17, 01:39 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I got about 5 builds on usb now but still prefer manjaro
Might have to give it look.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-17, 04:40 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I'm seriously considering going for Debian Linux on my laptop replacing completely windows 10...

Or I could try and start with arch and build up from there command after command

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you know how everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 06-01-17, 05:22 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
I'm seriously considering going for Debian Linux on my laptop replacing completely windows 10...

Or I could try and start with arch and build up from there command after command
I'm also looking to move to Ubuntu once they perfect Steam/GoG/Uplay/Origin and drivers, once that is 100% then it's adios Micro$oft.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-17, 05:25 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post

Try Manjaro its very arched based or Antergos which is basically arch with an installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
I'm also looking to move to Ubuntu once they perfect Steam/GoG/Uplay/Origin and drivers, once that is 100% then it's adios Micro$oft.
I game via steam no problem but have to use windows for some of my games and for uplay
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H | A10-6800k mild oc | Antec H1200 | Hyperx 1866 2 x 8gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 140gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 13-01-17, 11:11 AM
OC3D Crew

I'd seriously recommend at least giving Arch a spin, since while it's definitely jumping into the deep end, installing it gives you a decent understanding about the basic building blocks which Linux distributions consist of.

This makes troubleshooting easier, combined with the excellent docs Arch has. But it's definitely a weekend project and probably something you should do for your older rig first to get a feel for it.

Another benefit is getting new software early, which is expecially important for gaming since driver performance is improving steadily.
Old 17-01-17, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

I really want to get some old components together and start gaming on Linux. I was thinking of trying Sparky Linux - Gameover Edition. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Old 14-04-17, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CalVic
I use:

Kali 2.0 (Work)
BackBuntu (Work)
Arch
Debian

I also run a few servers that are deployed using Ubuntu Server, or CentOS.

I am now looking at deploying Arch as my main operating system, or perhaps take a look at ElementeryOS.

I've had a enough of Microsoft and it's telemetry crap. Especially that I handle documents classified up to SECRET.

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 18-04-17, 12:45 PM

Ubuntu is quite good I would say, check it out. It's also really good to use as a server operating systtem, as I read here. Overall, I think you will make the choice between Ubuntu and Majaro, as I've been using both of them and I think they are both great in their own regard.
Old 18-04-17, 12:47 PM

At both work and home I use Ubuntu. Even our work servers use ubuntu. If you've never used linux before, id use ubuntu since its most widely used distro and has lots of great community help. We have a few red hat servers for our critical systems.
Old 18-04-17, 01:59 PM

I've always preferred the Red Hat flavors (CentOS/Fedora). Most of my work servers that run linux run CentOS. Also have a few Ubuntu/Debian servers floating around.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680