Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 02-04-17, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender all good ones. Plus have back ups disconnected from your PC just incase you get ransomwared.

Old 02-04-17, 10:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender all good ones. Plus have back ups disconnected from your PC just incase you get ransomwared.
What does this mean really?... What kind of back ups?.
Old 03-04-17, 12:54 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
I assume he means a full back-up on a drive not normally connected to your computer, such as an external drive.
Old 03-04-17, 10:12 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Ransomware is software that gets installed on your PC either as trojans or packed with other software from unknown sources and they encrypt ALL your files on every single disk/partition, then they ask for money to decrypt them, most of the times in the form of "MI5,FBI,Interpol" to scare you even worse and pay the "fine"

Most of the times data recovery might be possible with some decrypting tools but again... it's a huge risk having all the drives connected to the pc. Ideally you would have 1 HDD either an external drive or even a plain internal one that you would connect to the pc once a month and you would backup the most important stuff... Complete system images are also a solution but that would require more HDD space...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 03-04-17, 10:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Ransomware is quite easily removed now IIRC. A couple of companies (Avast being one) make a bootable stick that removes it. But yeah, probably not a great idea to get it in the first place.

As for backups? I'll admit I am pretty slack, but I do have everything mirrored on two PCs on different drives (not RAID, I do it manually once a week).

Best thing to do is make an image of a fresh install with a clone proggy and then clone it back if you bugger up. Keeping the image away from the PC of course.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 03-04-17, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Ransomware is quite easily removed now IIRC. A couple of companies (Avast being one) make a bootable stick that removes it. But yeah, probably not a great idea to get it in the first place.

As for backups? I'll admit I am pretty slack, but I do have everything mirrored on two PCs on different drives (not RAID, I do it manually once a week).

Best thing to do is make an image of a fresh install with a clone proggy and then clone it back if you bugger up. Keeping the image away from the PC of course.
This is a good link for a source of free decryptors.
https://noransom.kaspersky.com/
Old 03-04-17, 11:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Jesus, that shows how tired I am. Avast do not make a bootable stick that removes it. They provide the proggy, you have to make the boot stick.

Fluffing builder ringing my doorbell at 7:30 AM after I had a Walking Dead session until 3:30 AM and then took enough pills to take out a horse.

Thanks for that SPS. Thankfully I now know not to open anything, even if they have your full name etc.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 03-04-17, 01:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
Ransomware is software that gets installed on your PC either as trojans or packed with other software from unknown sources and they encrypt ALL your files on every single disk/partition, then they ask for money to decrypt them, most of the times in the form of "MI5,FBI,Interpol" to scare you even worse and pay the "fine"

Most of the times data recovery might be possible with some decrypting tools but again... it's a huge risk having all the drives connected to the pc. Ideally you would have 1 HDD either an external drive or even a plain internal one that you would connect to the pc once a month and you would backup the most important stuff... Complete system images are also a solution but that would require more HDD space...
I see, well I only have one 1TB M.2 SSD in my system, nothing more
Old 24-04-17, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Some scary Ransomware examples:

If you're not visiting "questionable sites" then you probably won't ever face any of this stuff but even free legit software could potentially come bundled with something dodgy. I had some Youtube downloader that came with a load of adware crap a while back.

This is why I back all my most important stuff on an external rather than using RAID.
Old 24-04-17, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
If you're not visiting "questionable sites" then you probably won't ever face any of this stuff but even free legit software could potentially come bundled with something dodgy. I had some Youtube downloader that came with a load of adware crap a while back.
This is why I only visit sites that are well known and that have the https etc stuff that Chrome checks sites for legitimacy etc.

And I never click on dodgy links in emails etc... Lastly, I use 3rd party sites to download music from youtube videos, and haven't had an issue yet.

I never use plugins such as Youtube downloader directly in Chrome, cause have experienced loads of issues with it in the past.