Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 21-04-17, 08:52 AM
News Guru

Samsung and Amazon create the new HDR10+ standard

Samsung and Amazon create the new HDR10+ standard, adding "Dynamic Tone Mapping" to the HDR10 standard and thus creating a more confusing HDR ecosystem.

Read more on Samsung's new HDR10+ standard.
Old 21-04-17, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. I'm just going to wait until the dust has settled and I can buy a 40"+ Freesync 4K screen that uses whatever HDR standard becomes THE standard.
Old 21-04-17, 09:57 AM
OC3D Elite

I seriously laugh at those comparison shots, it is so easy to tell its just a load of bull, a decent not even crazy expensive panel on whatever tv wont be that dark or lacking such immense of contrast compared to the "new" thing.
Old 21-04-17, 10:36 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
I seriously laugh at those comparison shots, it is so easy to tell its just a load of bull, a decent not even crazy expensive panel on whatever tv wont be that dark or lacking such immense of contrast compared to the "new" thing.
Yeah, these comparisons will always be strange, as they are trying to show a difference that cannot be displayed on the user's TV/monitor.

HDR displays do offer brighter images while simultaneously offering darker blacks, though it is impossible to showcase the difference on a standard/SDR display.

TBH while HDR does sound cool, I don't really see it as a requirement for anything. To me, VRR (variable refresh rates) are more important than HDR.

HDR is a cool feature, but I an unconvinced that it offer a big enough improvement to the viewing experience to be worthwhile. Maybe in a few years when a lot more content is HDR, but for now the price it too high and there is not enough HDR content.
Old 22-04-17, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
I think the point is, as they said to: "adjust brightness on a scene-by-scene (or even frame-by-frame) basis". I often come across scenes,eg inside a dark building, where this would work great.
Old 22-04-17, 06:08 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Want near HDR experience? Get an OLED TV, they are amazing and you won't get screwed over by picking the wrong HDR set
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 22-04-17, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Want near HDR experience? Get an OLED TV, they are amazing and you won't get screwed over by picking the wrong HDR set
Yeah at the moment OLEDs provide the best HDR experience.
Old 23-04-17, 06:48 PM
OC3D Elite

I really would love if OLED became the industry standard for gaming monitors. It's not going to happen, at least not any time soon, but a man can dream.
Old 23-04-17, 07:57 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I really would love if OLED became the industry standard for gaming monitors. It's not going to happen, at least not any time soon, but a man can dream.
It would be crazy expensive. Although you would think prices would fall after a few years. I mean it sorta has. But we have phones and wearables with OLED screens, big TVs with OLED panels, but nothing in between. You'd think it shouldn't that expensive after what is it now, 3 years?
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 23-04-17, 07:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It would be crazy expensive. Although you would think prices would fall after a few years. I mean it sorta has. But we have phones and wearables with OLED screens, big TVs with OLED panels, but nothing in between. You'd think it shouldn't that expensive after what is it now, 3 years?
Really?... Like which/what for example? Didn't know OLED existed in these.