Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 06-11-17, 10:42 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKong View Post
The reason companies don't have the same up and down speed is because of the equipment they have. It has to do with synchronous and asynchronous equipment that provider owns. When I was was in networking school, we have a field trip to a service provider and I asked them about that. It's not because they don't want to offer you more upload speed, they can't for the equipment they own.
I actually asked Virgin Media about it and one of the reps basically said and I'm paraphrasing "The brass at the top want pure profit and refuse to invest in newer tech until they can squeeze every penny from customers".

Old 06-11-17, 01:22 PM

Try living in the US. Unless you're in a metro area or have been blessed by the google fiber gods, you're just happy if you can get broadband. You worry about the speed later. At home I'm on a 60/6 cable connection. They offer a 100/10 connection as well, but the price increase isn't worth it. I'm already paying $60/mo for what I have now, the 100Mb service is about $100/mo.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 06-11-17, 01:34 PM
OC3D Elite

I think sometimes people forget how populated the UK is and just how many people are using the Broadband. It has a lot to do with what you can get and the bandwidth available.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 06-11-17, 02:26 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
Try living in the US. Unless you're in a metro area or have been blessed by the google fiber gods, you're just happy if you can get broadband. You worry about the speed later. At home I'm on a 60/6 cable connection. They offer a 100/10 connection as well, but the price increase isn't worth it. I'm already paying $60/mo for what I have now, the 100Mb service is about $100/mo.
I live in a medium sized city(if you'd even call it a city) and our prices aren't bad. 100/10 is only $45. Spectrum is only offering that one plan too. 2 years ago it was 50/5 for $35. So definitely not that bad. It's just where you so happen to live
Old 06-11-17, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I live in a medium sized city(if you'd even call it a city) and our prices aren't bad. 100/10 is only $45. Spectrum is only offering that one plan too. 2 years ago it was 50/5 for $35. So definitely not that bad. It's just where you so happen to live
I'm on Charter Spectrum here as well. I could get it cheaper if I bundled their other services with it, but I don't need their other services.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 06-11-17, 10:13 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I actually asked Virgin Media about it and one of the reps basically said and I'm paraphrasing "The brass at the top want pure profit and refuse to invest in newer tech until they can squeeze every penny from customers".

You would think over time that equipment would be covered under the equipment life cycle and automatically changed every 5 to 10 years. This equipment should have a depreciation life cycle, and they playing with the numbers. Or its cheaper to buy non synchronous and they don't care customers wants.
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Old 07-11-17, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

You're lucky you get 10 I get just about 1mb upload. In 2008/09 my upload speed was almost nothing, I could just about upload a picture. Thankfully it's improved somewhat since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Richard Branson is a moron that's one reason not to touch Virgin with a barge pole.
Old 07-11-17, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
Richard Branson is a moron that's one reason not to touch Virgin with a barge pole.
I agree but the only other ISP's in my area are BT and EE and they don't do anything over 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up due to only offering copper lines so they were no go choices.