Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 21-05-13, 07:23 AM
OC3D Crew

I haven't seen lacing done for years excellent job there mate

Old 21-05-13, 07:40 AM
OC3D Elite

definitely looking forward to this build and that lacing guide, i would love to try that on my 24 pin connector to get all the cables in a nice straight line and not overlapping each other

Old 21-05-13, 11:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere View Post
I haven't seen lacing done for years excellent job there mate
Yeah it's definitely rather niche today. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
definitely looking forward to this build and that lacing guide, i would love to try that on my 24 pin connector to get all the cables in a nice straight line and not overlapping each other
Thanks! I'm thinking I'll probably do a video tutorial; makes it much easier to follow than pictures.
But that means it will have to wait for quite a bit. For one thing I haven't yet gotten my studio
lights, and I can't really do video editing on my laptop so I'll have to assemble a proper rig first.
I also need to figure out all that video stuff, never done that before. Ah well, I'm all about broadening
my horizons.
Old 21-05-13, 03:07 PM

I'm amazed at how simple and effective that solution is to keeping cables in a straight line, brilliant.
Old 21-05-13, 05:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
I'm amazed at how simple and effective that solution is to keeping cables in a straight line, brilliant.
Well the concept might be simple, but the execution is rather laborious I'd say.

But yes, it works pretty well indeed, thanks!
Old 21-05-13, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm liking the lacing too. Definitely agree with your points on cable ties. I've gone through so many with my pc that i've practically run out. (had a big box of them) I always chop them as close as i can to the locking part so that i can reuse as many a possible. I had read somewhere that some people actually stitched their cables together using a needle and cotton thread, but that is probably too permanent a solution.

I intended on doing the custom sata power cables back when i had 6 disk drives, but obviously i had to sacrifice 4 of them to have the second radiator. Nice to see it come together.
Old 21-05-13, 05:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
I'm liking the lacing too. Definitely agree with your points on cable ties. I've gone through so many with my pc that i've practically run out. (had a big box of them)
In the apartment where I lived with my dad after we moved out in 2007 I used zip ties to tidy
up the A/V equipment in our living room. I used ~500 zip ties for that alone. And we didn't have
an insane amount of gear. TV, PS3, Receiver, 5.1 speakers IIRC.
Old 21-05-13, 08:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Looking great dude
Old 21-05-13, 11:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Looking great dude
Thank you mate!

PSU Sleeving - Continued

So I went out and got myself a new lighter today. As an outdoorsy type I would have loved
something like a Wenger Clava, but I didn't have time (or rather: was unwilling) to wait that long. This one was 20 bucks and works quite well so far. It has a nice focused blue flame.

SATA Power Cables

While the 90 degree SATA power connectors allow for extremely neat wire routing, they are
not really well suited for sleeving. I am not yet 100 % happy with the result, but it's better
than before (or let's say: I like it better than before). I can always redo it later if I get some
clever idea about how to improve it and make it truly perfect.

To give you an idea of how I went about this problem:

And the current state of affairs on the HDD tower's back side:

Pump Power Delivery

Obviously the pump can't run without some voltage goodness.
This is not the final cable routing, but it shows the rough idea.

Fan Power Delivery

Remember those clipped wires I mentioned yesterday and how I left some cable to solder
on to in case I ever needed them again? Good thing I did that. Originally I was going to run
the fans off the same cable as the pump, but then I realized that I would have to do double
wires inside the crimp connectors, which I really don't like. They're almost impossible
to crimp unless you have very thin wires (I don't), and they're an absolute nightmare to
sleeve.

So I've decided to to a dedicated fan cable. This is where I soldered the new wires onto
the remains of the old ones:

Overview:

And this is how I plan to connect the fans (at least at the moment ):

That's it for today, thanks for stopping by.
Old 21-05-13, 11:35 PM
OC3D Elite

wow this is epic! where did you learn to do that?

Tags
360 radiator, black and blue, fractal design r4, modding