Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 03-08-17, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Kelso View Post
This is really bad news. State the obvious I know but damn it I've been so long.
I would start saving. For a 1080, 1080Ti etc. They are the only GPUs at the moment that represent any sort of perf per $.

AMD could easily stop this with a driver but greed prevails, and us gamers get screwed.

Old 03-08-17, 07:51 PM
OC3D Crew

Why would they stop it, They already shift a lot of Silicone to the consoles and a lot of cards to the miners. It is good business. gives the company resources to keep developing, and ensures AMD survive.
Old 03-08-17, 07:51 PM

here in Spain you get 2 years warranty. By the time it breaks , the card has already paid itself. and if it breaks before those 2 years, than RMA and that's it, so i don't see the issue anywhere.
Old 03-08-17, 08:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garih View Post
Why would they stop it, They already shift a lot of Silicone to the consoles and a lot of cards to the miners. It is good business. gives the company resources to keep developing, and ensures AMD survive.
Unfortunately it makes you look greedy and that you are prepared to completely screw over your loyal gaming audience. What's going to happen when mining crashes? they'll come running straight back to us wanting to keep them in business.

Old 03-08-17, 09:32 PM
OC3D Crew

As someone who's happy to game at 1080p 60fps I don't care as long as miners leave the 400 and 500 series alone. I wanted to get one of those, but not for 500 euros.
Old 03-08-17, 10:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Well I guess this also indicates how truly powerful Vega is as a computer card. GCN really is and always has been a compute monster. Which explains why AMD with there first actual big HPC card we're able to make a 1Petaflop server rack
Old 04-08-17, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It is harmful, trust me.

So yeah, it buggers hardware.

Yet the open air data center I work for has had Intel Xeon servers, Quadro gpus, AMD Interlagos and a rack of nvidia Fermi that are full load 24/7 since 2011-2014 and they are fine.
Old 04-08-17, 03:05 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaffaKree View Post
Yet the open air data center I work for has had Intel Xeon servers, Quadro gpus, AMD Interlagos and a rack of nvidia Fermi that are full load 24/7 since 2011-2014 and they are fine.
And this is comparable how? In a server environment you have many controlled factors and they are treated well with good optimized software.
Mining is no such thing. It's 16 GPUs crammed next to each other running far hotter than in a server environment using software that is not as nearly optimized. Not to mention they are treated like crap. Thrown around once they lose barely any performance, trashed if they can't hold a high OC, running from a PSU that for sure is less quality than the generators in a data center, causing more ripple which will kill any electronic.

Yeah cards can last a long time with usually just a fan replacement. However I don't think you understand the lengths Miners will go to... They have rented Boeing 747's for christ sake to ship massive amounts of cards. They do pretty much anything.
Old 04-08-17, 10:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaffaKree View Post
And a rack of GPUs. I gather you mean rack as in a rack rack? where the GPUs have a shedload of fans in front of them running like a jet engine? Your data center wouldn't happen to be climate controlled too would it?

The difference between a data center and most mining set ups is like a proper farmer with a field growing crops, compared to a criminal who rents a house and turns it into a weed farm.

Old 04-08-17, 10:16 AM

I call bull on that one, vega FE is the same but only mined at 31mhs, also stating a wide range like 70-100mhs is very suspicious, one can only state a correct number after testing vega, not a huge gap like this.