Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 28-06-18, 11:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Build log: OTD - 1000D

Well I said I make a build log, so here it is.

I have done a few in the past on this forum but I never finish them. This one considering its mammoth stature deserves a full build log. Due to its size I have so many thoughts going through my head that I don't know where to begin.

I will also be taking my time, using some parts I already have and slowly transitioning to the final product. What I have in mind is to utilise some nice mirror vinyl to show all the hidden beauty of GPU cards.

I won't be making a list of the components going in, or packages on their way until they arrive so I guess it can leave a little wonder as to what will be going inside.

So here she is. weighing in at 30kg, new contender and soon to be the heavyweight case of the world. The 1000D. I used to think the 900D was a monster but this is Godzilla.

Old 29-06-18, 12:53 AM
AMD Enthusiast

In that last photo what is that metal plate that is sticking out?
Old 29-06-18, 10:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
In that last photo what is that metal plate that is sticking out?
Do you mean the SSD plate? If yes, that is the french doors they have designed to conceal bad cable management.

Old 29-06-18, 11:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Woohoo !

Old 29-06-18, 12:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Subbed! Love me monstrous builds. Rad overkill FTW!!!

Old 29-06-18, 01:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Not sure how many people have seen the videos floating around on the new flagship from Corsair, so I'll share a few more photos of the case itself.

Front side has a nice little shelf I think is great idea.

Potential to have a 240 Rad here. Quick test revealed that you cannot mount a 240 Rad from EK direct to the chassis as the Rad conflicts with the rail system above. How can however mount the fans to the chassis and have the radiator attached to the fans. Basically mounting the radiator in a pull configuration.

Backside showing the Corsair ComPro premount

Backside HDD mounting cage. All of these will be removed.

Front side of HDD cage serves as a shelf for mounting pumps. Not sure I will go with this. Might remove the whole thing. Sadly the top part is removable with thumbscrews, but the cage itself is riveted to the chassis.

This crafty little simple screw is our lock for the removable fan trays that run on rails.

Once removed we can see the rails provided by default. At the moment I am not too happy that the top fan tray provided is 3x 140mm holes. Ideally I would have preferred 3x 120mm or 4x120mm. Until I get a replacement tray I cannot mount the extra radiator I had planned to go here.

Then of course we have the fan filters. Something again I am not too happy about. The Corsairs photoshopped product gives these filters the appearance of a firm good quality mesh. Here though, while the plastic tray is decent, the mesh itself appears "very" flimsy and not really tightly clamped. You can almost see in the photo the mesh appears to be very wavy from hex to hex

Top mesh however is much tighter. Showed no play or wave effect. Perhaps my front mesh is just a bad batch so to speak.

Old 29-06-18, 11:21 PM
OC3D Elite

huge case
what's the plan? (what is your spec sheet)
Old 30-06-18, 01:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Have a nice Maximus IX Extreme going into this.

Just waiting on parts before I block it up.

And of course, I needed some sweet memory to match the colour theme so far.
Picked up some nice Hyper X Predator 32gb 3200mhz

Maybe it's just me, but I think they look perfect on this board.

Old 30-06-18, 01:58 PM
OC3D Elite

7700k of course cannot be left with its base clocks and has to be delidded, this chip is going to become stoic!

Figured might as well stock up on some TIM and do the same for the GPU like I always have done in the past.

One major gripe I have with this motherboard is the PSU connector. While everyone things its cool to have it at 90degrees which seems different to all others, it actually causes more problems than anything.

So yeah what I have found is that this motherboard PSU connector is so badly aligned with cases it is postioned midway between the two grommets of any case. You would need to train the cables and cannot hide them as easily as if the PSU connector was standard.

As you can see, I can't really stealthily have the PSU cable come from the backside and straight in. Also, interesting point to note. You can see I am using an Intel Cooler from the 3570k days. While the CPU is delidded, running Division on ultra temp only hit 73C with this puny thing. Look forward to seeing the temp under water.
Old 30-06-18, 03:10 PM
OC3D Elite

get some braided cable extenders - they bend easier

Tags
build log, corsair 1000d, water cooled