Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 11-04-18, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

new office new desk design and build

well after creating a new home office/gaming space i now need to get started on making a desk and other bits for the room.

spent a few weeks planning the build and now have most of the issues worked out i think.

desk design so far: -

desk length will is 2788mm long and will be made in three parts, desk is also 620mm deep which should give a good surface area for when working with drawings, wiring diagrams etc

Main view: - front

Main view: - rear

Close up of pc area

Top Push To Open Draw

this draw will be home to the power and rest buttons, power switch for a 3rd psu to run lighting and linear actuator so its all out of sight and keeps it all looking clean, it will also store keyboard, mouse, headset and gaming pads to keep the desk clean and tidy when not in use and will be held in place with a foam insert

Bottom Push To Open Draw

will be home to the water cooling radiators, im not overly happy with air vent holes in the draw front so i will have to brain storm a new way of getting cool air to the radiators.

Heads up Display

will rise out the back part of the desk giving access to the fan controllers, front USB ports as well as temps of the pc area, radiator area and water temps. you will be able to raise and lower this unit via controls in the top push to open draw and also be able to turn the whole lot off when not needed

room layout once completed
main wall with pc desk. will have two 27" monitors for pc's and a 32" tv for watching tv and viewing CCTV feeds

opposite wall will be home to some storage as well as two printers

things i could do with some advice on at the moment are

1: - i can not seem to find a io shield holder/mount any where, i have one from my last desk build.

2: - best way to change from hard line water pipe to flexible tubing

3: - also unsure at this time on colour scheme, i know that i want to use grey as a main colour but unsure of what colour to go with it.

at the moment im leaning towards a main colour of grey with a metallic copper colour inside or metallic copper highlights

this wont be a very fast build when i get started as i can see some stages taking a long time to complete

Desk construction: - 14 to 30 days to build the desk
paint prep: - 7 to 14 days
painting desk: - 50 to 60 days
painting finishing: - 7 to 14 days
and then the fun part of putting the hardware in which ive not yet got 100% sorted out

Old 11-04-18, 01:43 PM
Bettyswollocks

Best get cracking then, chop chop I'll be following this log for sure. The last desk build was epic.
Old 11-04-18, 03:20 PM

You can get the whole mainboard tray or just the backplane with PCIe tray and I/O port panel.
http://www.caselabs-store.com/motherboard-trays/

https://www.mountainmods.com/index.php?cPath=21_34_66

These are the two vendors I looked at for my current Desk/Cabinet/PC build. I have used cheap tray parts in the past and it always ended poorly.
Old 12-04-18, 08:17 PM

was looking on caselabs page to see if my order was ever gona get done and saw this

http://www.caselabs-store.com/pages.php?pageid=30

introducing full spectrum of powder coating so if you looking to get a motherboard tray and have it jazzed up straight from the shop (less hassle for you) , also while going through a million colours to do your brain in here you go lol

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...coating-colors
Old 13-04-18, 08:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Powder coat is much more hard wearing than paint too. Paint will rub, scratch and chip. Powder coat is like liquid plastic. If my yellow bike was paint half of it would be missing by now. I was rather clumsy when building it.. It's also cheaper (about half the price of a regular colour and 1/4 the price of an exotic finish).

Old 23-11-18, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Best get cracking then, chop chop I'll be following this log for sure. The last desk build was epic.
i guess its not been a fast but progress has now finally started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannji View Post
You can get the whole mainboard tray or just the backplane with PCIe tray and I/O port panel.
http://www.caselabs-store.com/motherboard-trays/

https://www.mountainmods.com/index.php?cPath=21_34_66

These are the two vendors I looked at for my current Desk/Cabinet/PC build. I have used cheap tray parts in the past and it always ended poorly.
ill take a look at the although i had been just thinking along the lines of making my own up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
was looking on caselabs page to see if my order was ever gona get done and saw this

http://www.caselabs-store.com/pages.php?pageid=30

introducing full spectrum of powder coating so if you looking to get a motherboard tray and have it jazzed up straight from the shop (less hassle for you) , also while going through a million colours to do your brain in here you go lol

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...coating-colors
ahh its something to look at when the website is back up and running again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Powder coat is much more hard wearing than paint too. Paint will rub, scratch and chip. Powder coat is like liquid plastic. If my yellow bike was paint half of it would be missing by now. I was rather clumsy when building it.. It's also cheaper (about half the price of a regular colour and 1/4 the price of an exotic finish).
there are pros and cons to both wet painting and powder coating but i would say that the cons for powder coating in this situation make it a bad choice because its a desk it will be part of the room for a while as i dont plan on building a new desk if the colours of the room change or i replace the hardware inside it at a later date. it is also hard to find someone that knows what they are doing with coating as there are to many people doing it from home/workshops to make a few extra quid in their spare time.

i had a sliding door rail powder coated for a van restoration i am doing and it faded from gloss black to a matt in a matter of months and it has also now started to peel off which is less than ideal. ive never been a huge fan of powder coat mainly for the above reason of its hard to find someone that knows what they are doing plus if the paint gets chipped you have to have the whole piece redone because you can not blend in an area with powder coat so the cost is higher then because you have to pay to have all the old paint stripped off and redone.

i have always planned to wet paint the desk and parts and im hoping a 2k SR HS Lacquer will help a lot with standing up to scratches but i guess only time will tell on that one.

progress so far

fixing the sides to the base and lower part of the pc area - desk is laid on its front face

attaching the back panel

front put on the pc area, the base of the pc area sags down a little at the moment but i can not fix that until the hole is cut for the glass, once this is done the front panel will get glued and brad nailed to the base of the pc area hopefully stopping it from sagging down in the middle

test fitting the pc area lid, this is also 1 to 2mm wider than needed so it can be trimmed to fit once the hinges are fitted and the lid is held in its final place

made the two seating areas, the left side went fine but the right hand side was a bit of pain and needed scribing to the floor in order to get it to fit right which took a little bit of time

PC area space

sorry for the last two images being very poor, there was a fair amount of dust in the air after scribing the right hand side seating area to the floor
Old 23-11-18, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

got a little bit more done today

got the top cut and fitted for the right hand side of the desk

got the hinges fitted to the lid and the lid cut to final size

got the cut out for the glass in cut and made it so the glass will be recessed, this way i can glue it in from the inside and i also wont have to cut curved ends on the glass - this photo was taken from the door way so will get a good view of it as you walk into the room

last thing for today was to make a start laying out and cutting the holes for the motherboard and a 120mm fan in the back panel

Old 26-11-18, 06:05 AM
Bettyswollocks

Looking great so far, you have a fantastic foundation now it's just a case of outfitting the rigs and bringing the whole build to life.
Old 28-11-18, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Looking great so far, you have a fantastic foundation now it's just a case of outfitting the rigs and bringing the whole build to life.
thanks, its been getting easier an easier to put the time in now most of the basic shell is done

progress from yesterday and today

psu mounting holes cut - will live behind the 100mm tall drawer

no really to do with the build but the first printer cabinet is made, just needs a slide out shelf for the printer to sit on and a door

drawer for the keyboard, mouse, headphone and switches made apart from the front face - still waiting for the soft close, push to open drawer runners to turn up before i can fit it

first idea of the view youll get from the front - two old motherboards in place just as an idea

playing around with the lighting - this is 3 meters of LED strip attach to the lid

this was with the LED strip attach around the window of the front panel - 2.8 meters of strip

then cut the holes for the temp sensors, put the fans on and routed the cables threw back so they are hidden from view when looking from the front side

view of the back so far

marked the reservoir mounting holes out and also worked out how to route the temp sensor wire so it was not on show to much

view from the top of the reservoir and you can just about make out the temp sensor wire on the left hand end

the cable then gets routed down the side of the desk to the back - this needs a channel routed out for the wire to sit in though
Old 28-11-18, 11:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Subbed!