Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 23-05-18, 07:34 PM
Old N Gold

Nice!

I just had to replace my perfectly fine but sadly broken because it cannot pick up reception HTC 10. I ended up going with the S9 on contract because it's one of the only phones with a bloody headphone jack.

BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-05-18, 08:17 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Nice!

I just had to replace my perfectly fine but sadly broken because it cannot pick up reception HTC 10. I ended up going with the S9 on contract because it's one of the only phones with a bloody headphone jack.

Too many phones dropping it, its a shame.

I'm going to get the OnePlus 6 when I've got the cash, I'm genuinely relieved that still has one
Old 23-05-18, 09:26 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Too many phones dropping it, its a shame.

I'm going to get the OnePlus 6 when I've got the cash, I'm genuinely relieved that still has one
I waited for the embargo to lift on the OnePlus 6 before buying the S9. The reviews were amazing, but the lack of contracts (I don't have €580 right now), no water proofing, and no stereo speakers coerced my hand to the more expensive (in the long run) S9. I would also have bought the Huawei P20 as it's very good value considering and has a superior battery life, but that doesn't have a headphone jack or stereo speakers either. I could live without the stereo speakers or just the headphone jack, but not both.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Nice!

I've gone off of big brand phones again. I did want a decent spec though. In the end I chose it because of the screen and the build quality (front and back are glass, chassis is metal and it has a headphone jack). CPU is not the fastest (the Snapdragon is quicker) but the price was very keen indeed and I am sure it will absolutely slaughter my BB.

What makes me laugh is when they are reviewing it and picking all the faults they say "The fingerprint scanner is a bit slow" yet it takes about a second. Are people really that impatient these days lmao? Gaming, apparently, isn't the best either but the only game I ever really got into on a phone was The Simpsons. I am sure it has more than enough balls for any of the emulators I could wish to use.

My days of spending £500 on a phone (note that only ever happened once and I still have it in pristine condition (BB Passport) are over. I discovered that when I bought my Oppo and then waited for a similarly priced phone (£170) that could beat it. I waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing. Anything actually better than it (Quad core Snapdragon etc) with a higher res screen cost double that. And none of it was worth it, because it was 1080p, more than enough for the 5" screen.

So yeah, this is the successor to that really. The BB Porsche (again pristine) will go back into the *huge* box and retain all of the collector goodness. I've got quite a few Blackberries now. One of my mini collections lol.

I do laugh at reviewers when they review phones. "It's a bit slow compared to the S9+" erm, have you checked the prices? How can you expect a £149 phone to compare with a near on thousand pound phone?

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah phone prices are just ridiculous now. Apple even managed to price themselves out of the market. Iphone X will not return with a refresh. Confirmed by my colleague who is the company apple engineer. £1100 for a phone....

The asian phones are the go to ones imo. Huawei, LG, etc. Still costly, but cheaper and best of all has no bloatware like the top brands. wouldn't it be great if new regulations came in to cap what you were allowed to charge on the phone we dont need half the gimmicks they add. Retina scanners that dont work in bright sun, fingerprint scanners that dont work if you work in trade or play a guitar, etc etc. Most of its pointless yet we still want it. Makes no sense to me.

All i want as far as tech goes, is for the bluetooth codec aptX or aptx HD to become license free. Then I can make my shure 846 wireless! Sadly qualcomm are greedy and charge too much for licensing it.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I did go a little over budget on the case...

I got it half price for £30. It is proper genuine leather though and I have learned over time that it's the best. I paid £50 for the Tuff Luv leather case for my Passport (BB not actual haha) and it looks better now than when I got it.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
OC3D Elite

i have one wallet for money cards and cash, and a slimline case for my phone.

lose one and you'll still have the other.
it is much harder to lose two valuable items at the same time than one.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post
i have one wallet for money cards and cash, and a slimline case for my phone.

lose one and you'll still have the other.
it is much harder to lose two valuable items at the same time than one.
Oh I won't be putting cards or cash in there. That is separate. It's just such a enormous device (it's bigger than a S9) that it needs a heffer case lol.