Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-05-20, 03:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh yeah no doubt Intel's CPUs have lots of areas where they're great, but ofc going back to the original point I think these 3950XT's/a likely 3950X price drop are going to have quite reasonable sales in comparison and the media attention is somewhat due.

Then I was just saying, cost wise a 3950X build is probably bang in the middle of a 10900K and 10900X, and for most people I think the cost/general perf. is usually their determining factor, which is probably why there does seem to be a stark sales difference between the companies for desktop processors atm.

Old 27-05-20, 04:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Nah mate it's all about what's the hottest new thing. :P
Nah, it's not. Not for me at least. I don't usually buy the newest stuff in fact, I hadn't for many years. Before the 3950x my last upgrade was a £205 1920x. Before that a 14 core Broadwell E about four years ago and so on. I only ever buy a new high end CPU when I do a monumental update, and I only do that every 7 years or so. The last monumental upgrade I did was a Area 51 with a 5820k.

There's an old adage in PC land. "Spend as much as you can afford, do it once, do it right". Otherwise? you get stuck in incremental land and that gets expensive. Lower end hardware lasts ten minutes, then you buy more. And that is deliberately done to stop you getting a cheap decent deal. It is also why Nvidia stopped allowing people to buy, for example, two GTX 460s for £210 that would walk on a £450 GTX 480.

Now? you get the minimal entry fee (IE VRAM) on lower end GPUs, and they will expire within a year or two meaning you need to come back again. See also - GTX 1060 3gb and so on. The next casualty will be the 6gb cards, as the new consoles have lots more.

That is why it's best to just rip off the plaster, get it over and done with and then you can just leave it. The 3950x? I will have that for years. I already know what to expect from Ryzen 4000, and it will be nothing I will need for years.

GPU? I expect 3-4 years out of that easily. And I will get it, because I got it out of my Titan XP that cost me £650 used. That was top end ultra settings for over three years.

I mean yeah, some buy the latest thing because they want it and they can afford it. I don't. I buy what I need first, then if I can afford it what I want, then I just leave it to do its job I paid for. Chasing the dragon is bloody expensive. Ask Dice

Old 27-05-20, 04:22 PM
OC3D Elite

I was just joking and wasn't targeting anyone in particular.

The value proposition is a bit difficult to predict in the long run, I've generally splurged for a nice CPU and then upgraded to mid end GPUs bi-yearly or so as rotating them to secondary setups or to 2nd hand market is pretty painless.
I've tried the "buy one now and a second card later" SLI path and I am never, ever doing that again. Ended up "downgrading" from 760 SLI to a 970 due to general simplicity and also input latency.
Old 27-05-20, 04:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Now? you get the minimal entry fee (IE VRAM) on lower end GPUs, and they will expire within a year or two meaning you need to come back again. See also - GTX 1060 3gb and so on. The next casualty will be the 6gb cards, as the new consoles have lots more.
Tbf I don't think it's quite as strict/short term as that. The first game I ever came across that my 2GB HD7870XT couldn't play at 1080p with 40+ FPS was Warzone(CoD:MW was fine), games like Forza Horizon 4 or recent single player games were fine too. With the 3GB cards sure, but I think 6+ will be usable for a while, unless you're 1440p+ ofc
Old 27-05-20, 04:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, SLi is most certainly dead. It was deliberate too, as Nvidia were giving stuff away. Two 460s, ttwo 560s, two 670s. Then SLi got really good, then they realised they were being idiots. Bring on the Titan, and the death of SLi.

Note how they haven't rushed to (understatement, they've not done a sodding thing) to even bother asking any one to get mGPU working in DX12? it's for that reason, they can't lock it down as it happens without a bridge IIRC.

But yeah, SLi died with the 7 series. It started to crack during the 9 series, as support was falling off a cliff and you needed two 970s which wasn't cheap.

Old 27-05-20, 04:29 PM
OC3D Elite

VRAM is pretty easy to free by dropping texture and sometimes shadow quality. And the quality of textures even a 4GB (cough 3.5GB ) card allows is perfectly fine in my opinion.