Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 13-04-20, 07:40 PM

I always slow down the first layer to 50% speed, that has helped my prints a lot. Also, after about a year my aluminum print bed warped. Some spots were peaks, some were valleys. Putting TIM and a layer of borosilicate glass made a huge difference in my prints. I could have replaced the bed, but the replacements were all aluminium as well so any replacement would have warped eventually as well.

Old 14-04-20, 12:10 AM
OC3D Elite

My default Cura profile prints the first layers very slow. I'm not too fussed if I have an issue with my skirt, since I consider those to be 'burn' layers anyway, but I definitely need to lift my back corner quite a bit. Deffo have a 'low spot' in the back corner.

As for bed warping, I hear that's the norm these days. Mine has a severe droop in the center. That's where the BL touch is supposed to help. After 2 failures, I made some adjustments and ended with success for the main roller pieces:

There are some little rough spots, and a "vein" straight down the roller:

Rolls very smoothly with some cheap skateboard bearings:

Now I just need to print the nut / bolt part so I can attach this to the Creality spool holder arm, and I'll be done.

Old 14-04-20, 12:47 AM

Is the BL touch worth it? I don't know anything about them, but I've had a how-to guide to install one on my printer in an open tab for at least a year now. It's not expensive I was just worried about adding more "complications" to my printer.

Old 14-04-20, 01:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
Is the BL touch worth it? I don't know anything about them, but I've had a how-to guide to install one on my printer in an open tab for at least a year now. It's not expensive I was just worried about adding more "complications" to my printer.
It's really hard for me to say, since this is my first printer and it came included, so I didn't have to mess around with firmware upgrade to make it work. I will say this, it does NOT replace manual levelling with paper. But it's supposed to compensate for ups and downs in the bed. But you still need to do the usual corner levelling and all that.

Old 15-04-20, 12:32 AM
OC3D Elite

I think I finally have my bed as level as it will get. I found a very handy test print to help out with this, and scaled it upward a bit. Hopefully I did not accidentally summon Satan:

Old 15-04-20, 09:40 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I think I finally have my bed as level as it will get. I found a very handy test print to help out with this, and scaled it upward a bit. Hopefully I did not accidentally summon Satan:
Nice work, getting the printer to work that well, not the summoning satan bit.

Had a few issues with my printer since installing the new dual-gear extruder. Turns out it was the black PLA that I have been complaining about for a while. It ruined a few things. Needed to replace the nozzle and I have installed from Capricorn tubing. Seems better now.

So based on my experience, GEEETECH's black PLA is trash. Their red is ok, but just ok. I'm not going to call it amazing because it works. I don't think that I'll buy Geeetech ever again.
Old 16-04-20, 02:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Omg this looks amazing. Now I am tempted to spend money on 3D printer. I don't have an actual use case or need for it but my brain is: "You could make all those things with it." For what? Just to say: "I made them?" I will try to hold on until I have a somewhat proper need for it.

P.S. It will be to print something that you can get in the nearest hardware store for a fiver. But hey my conscience will be at ease.
Old 16-04-20, 03:13 AM

I think you need to use blood (red) for the satanic ritual to work....

Ordered the BLTouch, will need to print a mount for it. Haven't used my printer in months so hopefully I remember what I'm doing.

Old 20-04-20, 10:18 PM
News Guru

Gonna try and see if I can start 3D printing face masks given this whole COVID-19 thing isn't going to end soon. Seems to be a few communities working on this.
Old 21-04-20, 05:35 PM
News Guru

CURA version 4.6 has released. May be of use to some of you.

https://ultimaker.com/learn/new-inte...maker-cura-4-6