Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-08-18, 11:13 AM
News Guru

Nvidia's next-generation GPU is rumoured to be called the RTX 2080

Is GTX dead?

Read more about Nvidia's rumoured RTX 2080 graphics card.

Old 10-08-18, 12:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Well not surprised.

The whole naming of GTX was based on a fan competition to name the series. and it stuck.
Old 10-08-18, 12:48 PM
Old N Gold

Makes sense to me. They need to offer something new to the consumers. If it's only going to be Pascal shrunk down to 12nm with a clock speed increase at a high price, only hardcore fans or those passionate enough to insist on the best will jump on board. I think for Nvidia to receive widespread appeal they need to offer something reviewers and people can talk about. Ryzen had the Infinity Fabric, Pascal had the high clock speeds, Fiji had HBM, and so on.

This could also mean the divide between Radeon-branded games and Geforce-branded will become even bigger. Which I think is probably what Nvidia wants since they have more sway in that field and will control the market even more. They want to distance themselves from AMD, right? So even in the titles that favour Radeon, Nivdia won't care too much since distance is what they seemingly want, even at the compromise of performance.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 10-08-18, 01:26 PM
OC3D Crew

I wonder if Nvidia will try and force feed ray tracing down devs' throat.

If so, I wonder if a significant portion of devs actually comply.

If so, I wonder if it's optional or will the game either look like arse without RTX or straight up require it.

If so, I wonder if AMD's current or future hardware can cope with raytracing, or will it be Hairworks 2 the electric boogaloo.

Because Nvidia isn't anything if not anti-consumer.
Old 10-08-18, 01:40 PM
Bettyswollocks

So in 10 years time once developers have adopted it fully it might be a thing.
Old 10-08-18, 02:25 PM

worth watching
Old 10-08-18, 02:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post

worth watching
I would not take anything in the video seriously.

They tell us what the performance, launch date and price of the next Titan will be but can not even say what memory or chip it uses.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 10-08-18, 04:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I wonder if Nvidia will try and force feed ray tracing down devs' throat.
Ours as well I expect.

I wouldn't think this will take off too much until AMD start pushing it. How many devs are going to include this PC only tech into their engines for the overhead it will cost. Once consoles can start using it then we might see a bit more adoption in gaming.
Old 10-08-18, 05:06 PM
Old N Gold

AdoredTV, as much as I appreciate his work, has become a bit of a sensationalist.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 10-08-18, 05:36 PM
OC3D Elite

As soon as I heard his voice I stopped watching.

If they are named RTX(1/20xx) that's fine by me, it's up to them what they call there card's.

If they have got Ray Tracing ability then what's the issue? Yeah AMD might not have it and might have no intention to use it, but I cannot see it becoming anything more than a tool used for Benchmark Applications or 3D Image/Video Rendering.

Consoles will not use it if AMD cards are not any good at it, which means that most games are not going to use it, which means that the games ported to the PC are not going to use it or if they do they are will add it after, and mess up the performance on all cards since it's my understanding that to use something like this, it will be need to coded in to the Engine at the start not a add on but I am not a developer so not 100% sure on that.

One thing that I would like to see is stuff like this which can actually make games look a lot better, be Open Source rather than stuck to one hardware manufacturer where it potentially gimps the performance of other cards.

I am sure though that there will be loads of people kick off about Ray Tracing if it is used in games and AMD suffer because of it, regardless of the reason why but that will be good for AdoredTV as it will give him another video to rant about nVidia.