Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-05-20, 09:56 PM
News Guru

AMD's Radeon Software 20.5.1 driver packs 19 bug fixes

AMD Link has also been updated.

Read more about AMD's Radeon Software 20.5.1 driver.

Old 27-05-20, 11:08 PM
Resident Newb

I'm quite looking forward to the driver after this one which will enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in the Windows 10 May update, Intel and Nvidia already have a driver our for it, Just waiting on AMD to support WDDM 2.7.

Old 28-05-20, 07:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Still getting hard crashes (black screen & reboot) on this driver in games (F1 2019 for example) and gpu accelerated apps (firefox, chrome, edge) on my Radeon VII, reinstalled 19.5.2 which is perfectly stable...

Edit: @Wyp - When are you newsie people on the web gonna club together and give AMD some stick for the terrible drivers especially on their top of the line card which is pretty much non functional on any recent driver? I really do get the impression that AMD have a lot of people on thier payroll as no media groups seem to be making noise about it....

https://valid.x86.fr/6w9bi0
Old 28-05-20, 08:02 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Still getting hard crashes (black screen & reboot) on this driver in games (F1 2019 for example) and gpu accelerated apps (firefox, chrome, edge) on my Radeon VII, reinstalled 19.5.2 which is perfectly stable...

Edit: @Wyp - When are you newsie people on the web gonna club together and give AMD some stick for the terrible drivers especially on their top of the line card which is pretty much non functional on any recent driver? I really do get the impression that AMD have a lot of people on thier payroll as no media groups seem to be making noise about it....
They get plenty of stick about their drivers online. There is a reason why this driver article has to tell Radeon users where to go to report issues.

TBH, I haven't experienced these issues on any of the Radeon GPUs that I regularly use. If I had a Radeon VII, I'd love to see if I come across the same issues as you in the same games, but unfortunately, this isn't something that I can test right now.

It's not a matter of getting paid off. My life would be a lot more financially comfortable if that were the case. I'm just not going to dedicate an article to driver issues that I have never seen that are often based on random social media posts.
Old 28-05-20, 08:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Not saying that this is what you're doing but one of the things that the drivers seem to be bad at doing is installing over the top of the old drivers, I've found that with my RX5700XT that if I select the advance driver where it lets you uninstall the old drivers first it tends to give less issues, otherwise a DDU clean with fresh install tends to be a good start too, I honestly think half the issues too are due to the amount of Windows updates wrecking things especially the build updates.
Coolermaster H500P White ARGB=AMD Ryzen 3700X=MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3600Mhz White Dom Plats RGB= Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro Plus=Coolermaster ML360R ARGB=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Roccat AIMO White=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with RBG strip=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Razer Firefly RGB CE
Old 28-05-20, 08:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
Not saying that this is what you're doing but one of the things that the drivers seem to be bad at doing is installing over the top of the old drivers, I've found that with my RX5700XT that if I select the advance driver where it lets you uninstall the old drivers first it tends to give less issues, otherwise a DDU clean with fresh install tends to be a good start too, I honestly think half the issues too are due to the amount of Windows updates wrecking things especially the build updates.

Fresh install of windows every time, and yes I agree that windows probably has something to do with it also, but AMD should be on top if it, nvidia doesnt have these issues.

Quote:

Id send you my card if I had a spare, with regards to bug reporting AMD should do their own testing and release stable drivers.

Old 28-05-20, 09:08 AM
News Guru

Quote:

Id send you my card if I had a spare, with regards to bug reporting AMD should do their own testing and release stable drivers.
Agreed. These issues shouldn't exist and AMD deserves the stick they get for it. I do know that they are working on these issues and that they are investing more than ever into their drivers.

Things like this will take time to fix, and I really hope that AMD can get it sorted as soon as possible. They need to fix this if they want more support from OEMs.
Old 28-05-20, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Interesting. I've had a few 5700 and 5700xt looking for what I considered a decent cooling solution. I've not had any issues I can recall with drivers except if I I overclocked
Old 28-05-20, 11:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Fresh install of windows every time, and yes I agree that windows probably has something to do with it also, but AMD should be on top if it, nvidia doesnt have these issues.

Mate I know how you feel cause at first I had nothing but issues with black screens and game crashes etc and it has been better, although when I changed to 20.4.2 I've noticed stuttering in Star Citizen that I didn't have before, so they still don't have every thing right, I think and hope they'll eventually get it all sorted and thing will improve for everyone.
Coolermaster H500P White ARGB=AMD Ryzen 3700X=MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3600Mhz White Dom Plats RGB= Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro Plus=Coolermaster ML360R ARGB=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Roccat AIMO White=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with RBG strip=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Razer Firefly RGB CE
Old 29-05-20, 06:05 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Mate I know how you feel cause at first I had nothing but issues with black screens and game crashes etc and it has been better, although when I changed to 20.4.2 I've noticed stuttering in Star Citizen that I didn't have before, so they still don't have every thing right, I think and hope they'll eventually get it all sorted and thing will improve for everyone.

I'm not really to bothered to be honest because 19.5.2 drivers are 100% stable, but some day these drivers are gonne be obsolete and will not work.
I have invested heavily in this gpu (waterblock etc) so I would like to have it for at least two more years to come.