Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 03-07-17, 07:25 PM
OC3D Crew

I have to ask. What exactly are you expecting.
As a company you can't ship a card at 1000$ and then ship a card that's better and cheaper. It just don't make sense. People felt sorry for the titan guys. A move like that a month after frontier launch would be much worse.

Old 03-07-17, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
As a company you can't ship a card at 1000$ and then ship a card that's better and cheaper. It just don't make sense. People felt sorry for the titan guys. A move like that a month after frontier launch would be much worse.
Your argument presupposes the market for Vega FE is entirely focused on Gamers to the exclusion of all else when exactly the opposite is the case. Vega FE is target as an Entry Level Professional Design Tool. The Gaming Drivers supplied with the card are minimalist at best. Gamers Nexus did an engineering analysis video that was published Sunday Night and the hardware development of the card justifies the price being charged.

It's time for Gamers to take stock of the fact they are not the only market out there. As a matter of fact they are a fraction of a very small market.
Old 03-07-17, 08:33 PM
OC3D Crew

No I don't. The argument is whether or not the gaming Vega will show FAR better gaming results than a frontier. And it would not make sense to not use the extra possible power in their 1000$ card if the performance is there. = I don't believe the RX Vega will be a lot better.
My guess: It will be minus 8gigs of HBM2 and maybe fewer cores + higher frequency. = performance between 1070 and 1080.
Hopefully close to 1080 at a good price = pressure on Nvidia.
Old 03-07-17, 08:37 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Personally I'm guesstimating we'll be getting a card with half the HBM and maybe 100-200MHz higher core clock with drivers tuned more for gaming rather than pro apps which is pretty much what AMD have said minus the clock increase and memory but it makes sense.

Old 03-07-17, 09:29 PM

Quote:
No I don't. The argument is whether or not the gaming Vega will show FAR better gaming results than a frontier. And it would not make sense to not use the extra possible power in their 1000$ card if the performance is there. = I don't believe the RX Vega will be a lot better.
My guess: It will be minus 8gigs of HBM2 and maybe fewer cores + higher frequency. = performance between 1070 and 1080.
That is a rather inane conclusion totally ignoring the fact that the Vega FE card only had Fiji level drivers that did not take advantage of any new technology in the Vega card. The video bios as well is totally different than RX Vega. I have seen here and on other web sites too many flat liners who are either ill informed or purposely pushing garbage to damage RX Vega before it even gets out of the door. Shame on you.
Old 03-07-17, 09:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by os2wiz View Post
That is a rather inane conclusion totally ignoring the fact that the Vega FE card only had Fiji level drivers that did not take advantage of any new technology in the Vega card. The video bios as well is totally different than RX Vega. I have seen here and on other web sites too many flat liners who are either ill informed or purposely pushing garbage to damage RX Vega before it even gets out of the door. Shame on you.
It's ok to shame people but you should definitely backup all the stuff you are claiming
Old 03-07-17, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Depending on whose observations you trust/respect there is a wide variety opinion on the matter. there are some opinions that driver changes alone could bring RX Vega fairly close to the 1080ti.

Quote:
Removing one of the HBM dies is a distinct possibility.

AMD doesn't put pressure on NVIDIA unless it beats NVIDIA. AMD and NVIDIA each have their own clientele. They are pretty much unique and exclusive with the exception of those AMD Customers that seek to upgrade out of the medium tier products that AMD offers. In this respect pricing of the RX Vega is far more critical than performance. If Vega represents a considerable jump in performance to an RX480 user for a price of 500 USD he or she will think long and hard before spending the extra 100 dollars for the 1080 if the RX Vega is the equal. Spending an extra 300 dollars to acquire a 1080i requires a pressing need and the extra money. There are those users that will "shoot-the-works" and buy the top of the line NVIDIA puts out but that is more of a marketing question than it is having anything to do with performance or hardware.
Old 03-07-17, 09:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Personally I'm guesstimating we'll be getting a card with half the HBM and maybe 100-200MHz higher core clock with drivers tuned more for gaming rather than pro apps which is pretty much what AMD have said minus the clock increase and memory but it makes sense.
If you read the PCPER review you would have seen that the card throttled like a pig. 1600mhz clocks were a pipe dream and it guzzled down power too.

AMD have had an issue with temps for years. 290. 290x, 390, 390x.. Do I need to go on? their stock coolers just can not cope with their kitchen sink tech.

I do not expect a retail card with an air cooler on to be able to reach 1600mhz. The fan on Vega is pretty big too, and the entire card is alu but none of that seems to help. So you will be back to Fury X territory - water or nothing + £.

Honestly Dice, if you buy one of these things then you will need to swallow some serious humble pie. If their professional card can not even run at the advertised speeds and costs a grand how do you expect the retail one to run faster?

Nvidia.. Titan - 780 - practically identical.
Titan Black - 780Ti - practically identical.
Titan X (M) - 980Ti - practically identical.
Titan XP - 1080Ti - practically identical.

So how are AMD going to go from Vega Frontier - Vega and make up 20%?

They're not, dude. And clocking it faster will not make it run cooler either. Why do you think Vega comes with a AIO for £500 more?

Old 03-07-17, 10:09 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you read the PCPER review you would have seen that the card throttled like a pig. 1600mhz clocks were a pipe dream and it guzzled down power too.

AMD have had an issue with temps for years. 290. 290x, 390, 390x.. Do I need to go on? their stock coolers just can not cope with their kitchen sink tech.

I do not expect a retail card with an air cooler on to be able to reach 1600mhz. The fan on Vega is pretty big too, and the entire card is alu but none of that seems to help. So you will be back to Fury X territory - water or nothing + £.

Honestly Dice, if you buy one of these things then you will need to swallow some serious humble pie. If their professional card can not even run at the advertised speeds and costs a grand how do you expect the retail one to run faster?

Nvidia.. Titan - 780 - practically identical.
Titan Black - 780Ti - practically identical.
Titan X (M) - 980Ti - practically identical.
Titan XP - 1080Ti - practically identical.

So how are AMD going to go from Vega Frontier - Vega and make up 20%?

They're not, dude. And clocking it faster will not make it run cooler either. Why do you think Vega comes with a AIO for £500 more?
All good points, I just want an all AMD rig

Old 04-07-17, 12:48 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Are people still complaining about the Pro card? Like c'mon... Let's move on and look forward to RX Vega.