Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 03-07-17, 07:25 PM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 670
I have to ask. What exactly are you expecting.
As a company you can't ship a card at 1000$ and then ship a card that's better and cheaper. It just don't make sense. People felt sorry for the titan guys. A move like that a month after frontier launch would be much worse.

__________________
[I9-7900X][Asus Strix X299-E][EVGA 1080TI FE][Corsair 16GB 3733MHz][Fractal Meshify C][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 970evo 500GB+1000GB of mixed SATA SDD's][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-17, 07:54 PM
Radioman Radioman is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
I have to ask. What exactly are you expecting.
As a company you can't ship a card at 1000$ and then ship a card that's better and cheaper. It just don't make sense. People felt sorry for the titan guys. A move like that a month after frontier launch would be much worse.
Your argument presupposes the market for Vega FE is entirely focused on Gamers to the exclusion of all else when exactly the opposite is the case. Vega FE is target as an Entry Level Professional Design Tool. The Gaming Drivers supplied with the card are minimalist at best. Gamers Nexus did an engineering analysis video that was published Sunday Night and the hardware development of the card justifies the price being charged.

It's time for Gamers to take stock of the fact they are not the only market out there. As a matter of fact they are a fraction of a very small market.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-07-17, 08:33 PM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 670
No I don't. The argument is whether or not the gaming Vega will show FAR better gaming results than a frontier. And it would not make sense to not use the extra possible power in their 1000$ card if the performance is there. = I don't believe the RX Vega will be a lot better.
My guess: It will be minus 8gigs of HBM2 and maybe fewer cores + higher frequency. = performance between 1070 and 1080.
Hopefully close to 1080 at a good price = pressure on Nvidia.
__________________
[I9-7900X][Asus Strix X299-E][EVGA 1080TI FE][Corsair 16GB 3733MHz][Fractal Meshify C][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 970evo 500GB+1000GB of mixed SATA SDD's][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-07-17, 08:37 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 14,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
I have to ask. What exactly are you expecting.
As a company you can't ship a card at 1000$ and then ship a card that's better and cheaper. It just don't make sense. People felt sorry for the titan guys. A move like that a month after frontier launch would be much worse.
Personally I'm guesstimating we'll be getting a card with half the HBM and maybe 100-200MHz higher core clock with drivers tuned more for gaming rather than pro apps which is pretty much what AMD have said minus the clock increase and memory but it makes sense.
__________________
=AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950X @ 4.20GHz - XFX 5700XT Thicc III Ultra @ 2100/1800=

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-07-17, 09:29 PM
os2wiz os2wiz is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
No I don't. The argument is whether or not the gaming Vega will show FAR better gaming results than a frontier. And it would not make sense to not use the extra possible power in their 1000$ card if the performance is there. = I don't believe the RX Vega will be a lot better.
My guess: It will be minus 8gigs of HBM2 and maybe fewer cores + higher frequency. = performance between 1070 and 1080.
Hopefully close to 1080 at a good price = pressure on Nvidia.
That is a rather inane conclusion totally ignoring the fact that the Vega FE card only had Fiji level drivers that did not take advantage of any new technology in the Vega card. The video bios as well is totally different than RX Vega. I have seen here and on other web sites too many flat liners who are either ill informed or purposely pushing garbage to damage RX Vega before it even gets out of the door. Shame on you.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-07-17, 09:39 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2wiz View Post
That is a rather inane conclusion totally ignoring the fact that the Vega FE card only had Fiji level drivers that did not take advantage of any new technology in the Vega card. The video bios as well is totally different than RX Vega. I have seen here and on other web sites too many flat liners who are either ill informed or purposely pushing garbage to damage RX Vega before it even gets out of the door. Shame on you.
It's ok to shame people but you should definitely backup all the stuff you are claiming
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-17, 09:51 PM
Radioman Radioman is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
No I don't. The argument is whether or not the gaming Vega will show FAR better gaming results than a frontier. And it would not make sense to not use the extra possible power in their 1000$ card if the performance is there. = I don't believe the RX Vega will be a lot better.
Depending on whose observations you trust/respect there is a wide variety opinion on the matter. there are some opinions that driver changes alone could bring RX Vega fairly close to the 1080ti.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
My guess: It will be minus 8gigs of HBM2 and maybe fewer cores + higher frequency. = performance between 1070 and 1080.
Hopefully close to 1080 at a good price = pressure on Nvidia.
Removing one of the HBM dies is a distinct possibility.

AMD doesn't put pressure on NVIDIA unless it beats NVIDIA. AMD and NVIDIA each have their own clientele. They are pretty much unique and exclusive with the exception of those AMD Customers that seek to upgrade out of the medium tier products that AMD offers. In this respect pricing of the RX Vega is far more critical than performance. If Vega represents a considerable jump in performance to an RX480 user for a price of 500 USD he or she will think long and hard before spending the extra 100 dollars for the 1080 if the RX Vega is the equal. Spending an extra 300 dollars to acquire a 1080i requires a pressing need and the extra money. There are those users that will "shoot-the-works" and buy the top of the line NVIDIA puts out but that is more of a marketing question than it is having anything to do with performance or hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-17, 09:57 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Personally I'm guesstimating we'll be getting a card with half the HBM and maybe 100-200MHz higher core clock with drivers tuned more for gaming rather than pro apps which is pretty much what AMD have said minus the clock increase and memory but it makes sense.
If you read the PCPER review you would have seen that the card throttled like a pig. 1600mhz clocks were a pipe dream and it guzzled down power too.

AMD have had an issue with temps for years. 290. 290x, 390, 390x.. Do I need to go on? their stock coolers just can not cope with their kitchen sink tech.

I do not expect a retail card with an air cooler on to be able to reach 1600mhz. The fan on Vega is pretty big too, and the entire card is alu but none of that seems to help. So you will be back to Fury X territory - water or nothing + £.

Honestly Dice, if you buy one of these things then you will need to swallow some serious humble pie. If their professional card can not even run at the advertised speeds and costs a grand how do you expect the retail one to run faster?

Nvidia.. Titan - 780 - practically identical.
Titan Black - 780Ti - practically identical.
Titan X (M) - 980Ti - practically identical.
Titan XP - 1080Ti - practically identical.

So how are AMD going to go from Vega Frontier - Vega and make up 20%?

They're not, dude. And clocking it faster will not make it run cooler either. Why do you think Vega comes with a AIO for £500 more?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-07-17, 10:09 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 14,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you read the PCPER review you would have seen that the card throttled like a pig. 1600mhz clocks were a pipe dream and it guzzled down power too.

AMD have had an issue with temps for years. 290. 290x, 390, 390x.. Do I need to go on? their stock coolers just can not cope with their kitchen sink tech.

I do not expect a retail card with an air cooler on to be able to reach 1600mhz. The fan on Vega is pretty big too, and the entire card is alu but none of that seems to help. So you will be back to Fury X territory - water or nothing + £.

Honestly Dice, if you buy one of these things then you will need to swallow some serious humble pie. If their professional card can not even run at the advertised speeds and costs a grand how do you expect the retail one to run faster?

Nvidia.. Titan - 780 - practically identical.
Titan Black - 780Ti - practically identical.
Titan X (M) - 980Ti - practically identical.
Titan XP - 1080Ti - practically identical.

So how are AMD going to go from Vega Frontier - Vega and make up 20%?

They're not, dude. And clocking it faster will not make it run cooler either. Why do you think Vega comes with a AIO for £500 more?
All good points, I just want an all AMD rig
__________________
=AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950X @ 4.20GHz - XFX 5700XT Thicc III Ultra @ 2100/1800=

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-07-17, 12:48 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,155
Are people still complaining about the Pro card? Like c'mon... Let's move on and look forward to RX Vega.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.