Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 29-05-20, 12:40 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't know man. I mean, they look similar. They are active too, which is great. I just have no idea how they sound.

Make sure you at least read some reviews first.

Old 29-05-20, 02:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I don't know man. I mean, they look similar. They are active too, which is great. I just have no idea how they sound.

Make sure you at least read some reviews first.

Fair enough... I found this clip of them though and I'm aware that listening to a Youtube video of speakers isn't ideal. But if this is how they sound, they sound terrible. Or is it just me? No base what so ever...

Old 29-05-20, 02:20 PM
OC3D Crew

It could be the microphone used or they could be that bad. This is a good video showing proper JBL controls ones. (Not mine, but seems pretty well recorded) He gives them some serious volume abuse towards the end which causes the distortion and the built in limiting filaments to light up inside.

Old 29-05-20, 02:20 PM
OC3D Elite

That isnt even a fair example tbh, using that Saxguy clip as a way to indicate how they sound is just a joke.

With a decent mic and a fair setup you can get some impression of how speakers sound through youtube, it wont be the best way to do it, but even Tom managed to get some level of fidelity through his speaker reviews.
Old 29-05-20, 03:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
It could be the microphone used or they could be that bad. This is a good video showing proper JBL controls ones. (Not mine, but seems pretty well recorded) He gives them some serious volume abuse towards the end which causes the distortion and the built in limiting filaments to light up inside.
IIRC they are fuses. It's to limit current to the woofer.

In the late 90s we developed a speaker to compete with the JBL. It was called the DB101.

And had the same bulb fuse system.

Old 29-05-20, 03:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post

Nice video and seems like a nice couple of compact speakers. Although for me personally, I'm not sure if I'd go for those since they require an AMP.

With that said, I'm currently debating wether or not to keep my newly ordered Creative Soundblaster X3 external soundcard or not (since you can plug speakers in into the back of it and also a headset on the front. Hence switching between them on the unit itself (I believe).
Old 29-05-20, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Nice video and seems like a nice couple of compact speakers. Although for me personally, I'm not sure if I'd go for those since they require an AMP.

With that said, I'm currently debating wether or not to keep my newly ordered Creative Soundblaster X3 external soundcard or not (since you can plug speakers in into the back of it and also a headset on the front. Hence switching between them on the unit itself (I believe).
Buy an amp. I say this for two reasons.

1. If your active speakers die (the amps get very hot in there) your speakers are useless and would need rewiring internally (which you would need to know what you are doing)

2. If you feel like a change you can just get some different speakers.

I'm not really an advocate of "Active" things. They just add in double the failure rate.

With all of the money you spend on PC gear you should set yourself up audio wise. Like I said before, this is a thing that will last you for years and years and won't need to be "upgraded". The Control ones have been around since the 90s, and are still every bit as good now as they were then. Audio doesn't change too much.