Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 07-09-15, 08:28 AM

AMD FX-8350 to the limit!

Sadly, my budget has been lowered. I have changed my build's CPU to a AMD FX-8350.
I need to pull as much juice as i can from it, but i can't afford a expensive cooler. Any suggestions?

Old 07-09-15, 08:33 AM
too many shrooms

noctua coolers for air i would think would be your best choice
Old 07-09-15, 08:38 AM
OC3D Elite

The Noctua is the best choice for an air cooler but they are not cheap but until you can afford a decent air cooler have a look at the Artic Cooling Freezer pro rev 2

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 07-09-15, 08:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Duplicate thread removed.

If you've only got a tenner or two, the Hyper 212 Evo is, as always, the best bet. Isn't going to get your chip to the limit though, and especially an 8350 will still run warm and the fan loud.

If you move up, you might want to have a look at the cheaper Cooler Master AIO coolers like the Seidon 120v (Make sure you get Version 2!) which will perform loads better, or invest in one of the massive air heatsinks.
The Scythe Mugen 4 is not too expensive and has amazing performance cause it's such a massive heatsink.

Also just wondering, considering you're getting an 8350 and want to overclock it, what motherboard are you putting it in?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 07-09-15, 08:53 AM

Still choosing the MOBO, but i ain't enoguh of a noob to not check if overclocking is supported.

Posts merged - Please do not post multiple times in a row

Would the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ be a good choice?
Old 07-09-15, 08:57 AM
too many shrooms

no mate you want a 990 fx chipset, the 970 boards don't really have the power requirements for a overclocked 8350
Old 07-09-15, 08:57 AM

Never mind, expensive too expensive for my budget. Have to do some more research.
Old 07-09-15, 08:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Create a thread in New Build Advice fella and we'll help you with some ideas

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 07-09-15, 08:59 AM

Sorry, i posted this bf seeing your new build post suggestion.
Old 07-09-15, 12:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
no mate you want a 990 fx chipset, the 970 boards don't really have the power requirements for a overclocked 8350
Wrong dude. There are 4+1 990FX boards out there (Asrock's for example).

OP - whatever board you decide to get let us know here first. If I miss it shoot me a PM !. Personally I would try and go for this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asroc...tx-motherboard

Or this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-9...i-6sata3-4usb3

Which I'm pretty sure both have 6+2 fets and will get you to around 4.5ghz. If you're dreaming of 5ghz though you will need either an Asus Sabertooth, Gigabyte UD5 or Crosshair V FZ and they will cost you more than it's worth.. What I mean is, by the time you bought one of those boards you could have got an I5 K set up with a cheaper board.

The FX 8s can still be as good as the new I5s of course, but only if you are running Virtual Machines or doing very core heavy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
noctua coolers for air i would think would be your best choice
Noctuas are not great for FX 8s. The core layout in the FX 8 means that the actual surface to be cooled is quite massive. For clocks of 4.5ghz - 5.3 (the best I managed on my 8320) it required a Corsair H100. I could only get the CPU safely temp wise to 4.9ghz stable but believe me I was living right on the limit. If my CPU Package temp hit 73c the rig would just lock.

Because of the core layout it's water you want and not a puny one either. You need at least a H80 design (double thick 120mm rad) or dual fan rad (240/280).

Oddly enough the Hyper is one of the air coolers that are pretty good for AMD. I still wouldn't expect to be able to get more than 4.5ghz safely on a cooler like that though. There's just so much heat packed into such a large die. Well, not so much overall heat because Intel are still the champs there, but just so much packed in ready to heat up very very quickly as soon as they take any sort of load.

Also this. The 8350 is a complete waste of money, as are every other 8 core FX. Get the 8320/8320 E. They are all binned on the same process as the Centurions and I have never seen one not want to do 4.5ghz easy, even an 8320. Of the two I had one would do 4.9ghz fully stable under a H100 and the other did 4.7. They are hideously easy to overclock, so don't waste your beans on the chip dude.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.