Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 10-09-15, 09:09 AM

Handling of loop components

New or otherwise, intuitively I assume it'd make sense to somehow sterilize your loop components before final handling and assembly, like skintight throwaway vinyl gloves etc), ultrasonic sterilizer, germicidal detergent and/or just general flux/oils/gunk resolver.

See so many people handling their fittings, pumps and reservoirs with bare hands before and during assembly and can't help but think that such handling isn't helping to keep the loops as clean as they could be to maximize time between loop service/maintenance.

Anyone got any pro tips?

Old 10-09-15, 10:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Tbh you never really handle the inside of the loop where the coolant flows matey I do a 6 month change of Tubing and coolant as my maintenance

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 10-09-15, 10:26 AM
OC3D Elite

You seen the inside of a radiator? Overkill me thinks, plus realistically who is blowing insane money on watercooling and not getting an itch to switch something out within a year.

Gloves sound like a sensible precaution if you have new EK rads otherwise they are getting scratched.

JR
Old 10-09-15, 11:10 AM
OC3D Elite

Only really an issue if you touch the insides of your loop components, which is quite hard to do unless you have fingers like pipe cleaners, and use distilled water as a coolant without any biocide or a kill coil.

Most people tend to use premixed coolants which have biocide mixed in.

Personally I wear nitrile gloves when building a rig as I hate leaving fingerprints on anything.
Old 10-09-15, 09:09 PM
OC3D Crew

I usually clean the inside of the water blocks with some isopropanol alcohol before installing them and blast clean dry air from my compressor through the radiator, at a third the pressure though!

For coolant I just use a 20/80 mix of car coolant and distilled water, nothing else.
Old 10-09-15, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's a bit overkill there OP

I used heated tap water to flush out the rads (like 7 times or so, damn 480 rads.. ) and then repeated the same process 3 more times with distilled. Used tap water for the tubes too followed by distilled to get all of the dust out from cutting the acrylic. The res just got flushed a couple times with distilled.

In my loop I'm running plain distilled with a few drops of PtNuke and a kill coil.
Old 11-09-15, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
... blast clean dry air from my compressor through the radiator, at a third the pressure though!
I assume that you are using a small hobby level compressor without any particular air filtration. That will suck tons of airborne bacteria and mold spores/fungi into your system not to mention that it's usually contaminated with oil vapor, condensate, rust and micro scale debris detaching from compressor tubing unless you use staged filtering with pre- and coalescing filters to remove it!

That is of course dependent on the state of the compressor unit. Since you keep doing it, I assume you either have a high frequency maintenance schedule for your loop so that any possible side effects from using the compressor won't be seen or that you are very fortunate to have a device and an environment that promotes success in using it.
Old 11-09-15, 08:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Your level of giving a poopy exceeds any other active forum member.

I suggest that you just talk to yourself and read some medical papers or something. Everyone is just going to tell you that it doesn't matter that much. I know of people who have been running the same Mayhems Aurora in a loop for over 3 years, with no maintenance whatsoever. Definitely no gloves, probably some greasy pizza fingers and acrylic dust in all of the components. No doubt the rigs run a bit hotter now, but they still run day in, day out for 24hrs.

JR
Old 11-09-15, 08:18 AM

Well, hint taken.

However, if my typing annoys you to such a degree that you feel that you have to be snarky and abrasive in a context that apparently doesn't interest you that much, may I suggest another direction for you on the forums than this particular thread?
Old 11-09-15, 09:42 AM
OC3D Elite

Tbh JR has a point a pc loop does NOT need to be sterile its not like its going to catch the flu is it? I run Mayhems X1 in my loop and still after 6 months my cpu is at 28C idle and thats with a 1.1ghz overclock.
may I suggest to you that you have a look at the rig gallery 1st and see that the people giving you Pro Tips are actually very experienced in that field mate

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla