Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 18-01-19, 05:33 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
So an architecture costing objectively more to design and produce is a biased opinion?
Can you prove it costs more to design? Pascal cost Nvidia $2 billion of just R&D. Considering Nvidia already had a bunch of development done for AI research it was just a matter of stitching together really

Old 18-01-19, 05:45 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Can you prove it costs more to design? Pascal cost Nvidia $2 billion of just R&D. Considering Nvidia already had a bunch of development done for AI research it was just a matter of stitching together really
No. Like we've never been able to prove it. Companies don't usually release exact numbers, and rarely can a third party examiner study and categorically prove what something cost to design. All we have are educated estimates. And that's still objective. I think of objective as something that has been studied to the best of one's ability and is said from the perspective and impartiality. To prove empirically what Turing cost to design and manufacture is impossible. But that's not the point.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 18-01-19, 10:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I mean that post specifically talked about cost of R&D so I'm not sure what your point was then
Old 18-01-19, 11:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
The obvious flaw in that argument being that beyond benchmarks that only really holds at 1080p in games with lower memory/bandwidth requirements, at 4K/high res textures/ect the RTX2060 trades blows with V56 in most real world games, which you can find vastly cheaper, while for 1080p you could argue a £350 card is kinda overkill.

It's a 1080P card, or at a push a 1440P card. Nobody in their right mind would buy a 2060 to game at 4K. So considering the card is squarely aimed at the 1080P / 1440P market, it's not really a flaw. Deciding which card is best to play 4k games at 30fps is an exercise in futility.
Old 18-01-19, 11:45 PM
OC3D Elite

I really can't see how any technology Nvidia have worked on could cost as much as, or more than, Fermi.

What is annoying me is how they are taking the pee when it comes to stuff that doesn't matter. Like the cooler on the 2060 FE. It has about a hundred screws in it, and is over engineered to the point of LOLs. Some one has got to be paying for that, right? and it sure as heck isn't Nvidia.

I would also hazard a bet and say that Nvidia have warned board partners not to under cut the FE by anything if at all, and, how Nvidia are now selling cards they made for that extra bit of profit. It all just smacks of terrible greed.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

R&D cost always scales with design complexity, and design complexity scales with transistor count, Turing are NVidia's largest/highest transistor count/widest variety of processing units consumers dies by a long way in most counts.

NVidia certainly hasn't been tightening their belts (Now $2Bn+ R&D over last 4 quarters alone, while Pascal's must have been over closer to or maybe more than 4 years, though of course their silicon has a far wider variety of use cases now & some are quite R&D heavy alone, but their GPU cores still lay the foundation for those, but the fact remains they now burn twice the amount on R&D per quarter as they did upto & before Pascal.)

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
AMD Enthusiast

That graph literally has nothing to do with anything.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mean that post specifically talked about cost of R&D so I'm not sure what your point was then
*Provides NVidia's R&D expenses for "software engineering, including efforts related to the development of our CUDA platform, hardware engineering related to our GPUs, Tegra processors, and systems, very large scale integration design engineering, process engineering, architecture and algorithms." per quarter for over a decade, showing a higher rise in R&D expenses than any other public tech company, and by far the highest in their history*
Quote:
That graph literally has nothing to do with anything.
what?
This is literally the empirical data you were asking for.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]