Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 13-07-17, 02:37 PM

Bladerunner 2049 Casemod

Hi Modders!

This is the second mod my son and I are working on together, the first mod we did together was a Camaro themed build and was 100% my sons concepts. This time its my turn to choose the theme so what better than my favourite film Bladerunner. I have been watching all the news and hype surrounding the sequel to the film and am now very excited to see how the plot possibilities pan out.

I have been in and out of hospital receiving treatment for the last months which has rekindled my love for modding as less mobile. While in the hospital for a week bored out of my mind I taught myself how to make the origami unicorn from Bladerunner. That was when I started thinking about a concept for a build. Normally you might think a Bladerunner theme would be jet black with red accents with perhaps a grungy dark distopion feel to match the atmosphere of the first film. I suppose I just liked the metallics of the unicorn and decided to go with a more cleaner metallic feel more inline with the new film and with the origami.

There are no sponsors for the build sadly so have managed to scrounge about for parts in the garage and buy in what I could to get the ingredients for mix. Using a Thermaltake Core V21 as the case and I think nearly all the main manufactures of watercooling parts for the cooling a real colab affair!

I really do love the Thermaltake Core v21 as it is such a dynamic case with its swap-able modular sides and front leaving lots of variation options for the enthusiast and designed for a matx system.

The other driver for this build is showing your respect to your elders, my son took a lot of inspiration from Jp Modifieds work on his design, so we talked about who did I look up to in the modding world? I still think today my favourite casemod is still Orac 3. Its the case that got me into modding and blew my mind as to what was possible. Back then it was all flashing fans (back in fashion) and what you could do with a beige case.

So the goal Bladerunner with hints of Orac as a bit of a love letter to Gnome.

Old 13-07-17, 03:55 PM

Sleeving the cables

Liitle vlog update of sleeving the cables in chrome finish.

Old 15-07-17, 10:13 PM

Was tempted to make a start on the case today but my son and I do the modding together and it would not be fair while hes away so minor task instead. Took apart the ram sticks and gave the heatspreaders a good scuff and tack to give the primer coat some grip. Two coats of primer then a wait for 6 hours and two coats of Chrome.

Old 17-07-17, 07:05 PM

Son back from his trip away yesterday so we did the primer caosts on the rad. Today the trailer for the new film came out and that was all the inspiration needed for the Chrome coat. Just the fans to strip down and Chrome next and thats one task off the list.

Old 17-07-17, 09:27 PM
Bettyswollocks

Really liking the build so far and also super excited to see the new Bladerunner, the original Harrison Ford blockbuster was a true icon and cinematic masterpiece.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 18-07-17, 12:12 PM
OC3D Elite

That chrome paint is looking good!

Old 18-07-17, 07:00 PM

Cheers, I had an old aluminium rad lying about so did a half and half test on that first, it would seam despite what it says on the can (grey) white primer brings out a more real chrome finish. + clear coats.
Old 19-07-17, 01:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah that's got to be the "chromeist" chrome paint I have seen yet. Cool beans man !

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 19-07-17, 10:38 PM

Well very frustrated yesterday was to windy outside to do any spraying and today is very wet up north! I am heading to a local body repair shop in the morning to see if they will rent me a spray booth so I can get on with spraying all the fans and the case.

The Thermaltake core V21 has a side window installed already which is acrylic. I already own another of the v21's and intended using a window on each side leaving the top mesh. I'm now in two minds to widen the pre installed window as much as possible and install a glass finish without tint rather than stay with the original. I think ill leave that decision until the very end to see what looks best. Fingers crossed tomorrow I can get a spray booth organised.
Old 19-07-17, 11:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Very interesting build shall watch with interest
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS